When are corps going to come back to their roots?

Talk about full of fail. There aren't tons of corps out there any more, period, full stop. (Which is, I might suggest, cause-and-effect with what the OP had in mind, but th that's just my opinion.) Be specific if you wish to counter an argument. Tell us who these hordes of white-shoe-wearing drum and bugle corps are. I'm sure there won't be "tons" of them.

In World Class, there are only 4 corps that wear white shoes - Cadets, Phantom, Crown, and Teal Sound. I wouldn't know about Open Class or DCA.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown is an infant still in the activity when compared to other corps, but I believe they have firmly laid their roots and are being loyal to the same.

"If by "laying roots" you mean "coming up with increasingly uglier variations on an unattractive uniform template," then I'm with you.

But a move from one state to another, while still in "infancy," to me doth not a laying of roots make. YMMV.

In World Class, there are only 4 corps that wear white shoes - Cadets, Phantom, Crown, and Teal Sound. I wouldn't know about Open Class or DCA.

There are no more Open Class corps. Dave Gibbs slaughtered them all and used their blood to make white shoes, apparently. Tons of them.

Also, drum corps once represented a completely different approach to marching music than HS band. That includes instrumentation, style of music/drill, and approach to guard among many other differences. Nowadays there is virtually no distinction. HS Bands are all 'corps style' and DCI is on the fast track to becoming summer marching band. Just need the woodwinds and we all know they are are around the corner...

Yeah, actually it was mostly hated from high school band directors. Most discouraged membership in these "drum corps." I remember a teacher who constantly referred to it as "dumb corps."

That's not the case today. For drum corps to survive, it moved slowly but steadily toward the potential source of remaining membership and is now legitimized by groups like MENC, etc. That would have never happened in the 1970s for instance.

There are no more Open Class corps. Dave Gibbs slaughtered them all and used their blood to make white shoes, apparently. Tons of them.

The current class of Open Class corps would not appreciate your dismissal.

The state of Open Class corps has been thoroughly discussed in the Open Class forum.

Funny, now it's Gibbs' fault even though California has more Open Class corps than almost any other state in the country combined.

Next.

The current class of Open Class corps would not appreciate your dismissal.

The state of Open Class corps has been thoroughly discussed in the Open Class forum.

Funny, now it's Gibbs' fault even though California has more Open Class corps than almost any other state in the country combined.

Next.

Everything, including the birth of George Hopkins, is David Gibbs's fault.

Remind me to explain the concept of "a joke" to you sometime.

Nah, why bother.

NEXT

LMFAO!!!! posts like the last two are why i LOVE coming on here...

Yeah, actually it was mostly hated from high school band directors. Most discouraged membership in these "drum corps." I remember a teacher who constantly referred to it as "dumb corps."

B-word I heard was playing a corps bugle would ruin your chops (always get the proper word wrong, somelike amiture). LOL, really changed in my area in the 70s as MBs started competing and the local people who could train a winning band all came from corps.

When our Sr corps restarted about half the members and staff came from HS MBs. The HSs that provided the most members were the ones that competed. Schools tht did squat, was where the "DC will ruin you" came from. Guess they didn't like having their members have their eyes opened to new things.

Leaving their roots or not has little to do with Pioneer's competitive success. Not playing and not marching to the level of the corps ahead of them competitively does. This is not the member's issue, judging is more a comment on how an instructional staff does their job as compared to other corps.

Sometimes you really irritate me. You have an answer for everything and almost none of your answers are positive. I looked at your profile and cannot seem to find where you became such an expert.