Atlanta Review

Hello everybody,

I just got back from the Georgia dome and I thought I would post my thoughts on what I saw tonight. I was sitting in the lower section on the left 40 yard line 24 rows back. Unfortunately I did not watch everyone but I did catch from the Blue Stars on. Apparently Madison was excellent tonight so kudos to them on their great accomplishments they keep achieving this year.

Without saying it in every review but Boston’s, they synths were all way too loud for an indoor setting. The worst definitely being the Bluecoats. The synth just seems like a way to add volume while also masking some dirt in the hornline and masking timing problems. Being that I was a hornline member I will mostly comment on brass, and in the dome the percussion was incredibly difficult to hear. I will also let you know that I am a Boston Crusaders alumni (if you couldn’t already tell from my user name) and that is why you will not find many negatives for me to say about their show. =)

Blue Stars- This show is a very good show, but about halfway through I completely lose the Houdini concept. The hornline has great volume, but there were quite a few balance issues and stickouts. Musically this is really a top notch show but the brass is having trouble selling it. Visually this corps moves a lot but I do feel they still have some dirt to clean but fortunately for them there is still two weeks. The color guard is really good and from the beginning they display that by doing flag work with their necks and their necks only. That was an excellent effect. However, like I said before they lose the concept and you start forgetting that this show is about Houdini. They need to find some way to make the disappearing act more apparent because I was not paying attention to that until I realized that there was nobody in the coffin at the end of the show. On the front sideline they have their “screens” which have pictures of Houdini. I personally found it distracting and a cheap way to remind people that this show is about Houdini. Another thing I noticed is that the coffins really limit the corps use of the field and it makes the drill look somewhat cluttered from time to time. The synth is overbearing for a good majority of the show, especially in the dome.

Phantom Regiment- I was expecting a lot more from this drum corps. The hornline was underwhelming and had a lot of stickouts tonight. The playing in the tunnel before and after the show is an excellent effect and it sounds great, everything in between that is lost on me. The soloist was very good tonight, but the crowd unfortunately was standing and clapping before the show was even over and you couldn't here him. Visually this drum corps is much improved over last year but is still weak compared to many of the drum corps around them. Especially Boston.

Boston Crusaders- The one thing I am most impressed with is the hornline. To me, they were honestly one of the most balanced and in control hornlines of the night. Their drill is very good and they still have quite a bit of cleaning to do. I do not see why they are getting hit so hard if GE because they are doing things much more difficult than other corps around them and doing it just as well, if not better than some of those other corps. I hope they can really clean this show and place where they rightfully deserve.

Santa Clara Vanguard- I was very excited to see this show but afterwards I was very disappointed. The show is not paced well at all and it always leaves you wanting more but you never get it. At least last year they gave you what you were waiting for the whole show and did that extremely well. Their hornline was very good and balanced. Like most of the other hornlines there were stickouts, mainly in the high brass. Musically this show has a lot of demand, mainly with the staging. However, the visual demand of this show is lacking. They have the least demanding visual show of the corps I am reviewing. I do not like how they now do a “Cavies” style march but it doesn’t surprise me knowing who there corps director is. For such a relatively easy visual show they are quite dirty especially in their feet. They had phasing problems the whole show and for a drum corps this late in the season who is beating other drum corps that are doing this better than them, it is inexcusable. This show is just not working for them and at the end of the show the audience was collectively confused and really didn’t give them any applause. It is unfortunate because like every drum corps the members are working so hard but the product is hurting them so much.

Cadets- This show was so very good to me until the point where “Little Jeffrey” gets on the drum major podium and they use voiceovers. After that they completely lost me, and because of that I paid very little attention to the rest of the show. It wasn’t just me, you could hear the audience collectively groan at the sound and site of that. The hornline was probably the second or third best of the night without a doubt. They were very balanced from left to right, had few if any major stickouts and they put out some crystal clear volume tonight. They were pretty darned good. Unfortunately their scores are not reflecting that. Visually they seemed to be quite clean but “Little Jeffrey” completely hijacks the show and you find yourself watching him the whole time rather than watching the rest of the show. This show concept is beingexecuted extremely well, almost too well because of “Little Jeffrey”. This is a solid show and they probably deserve more credit than what they are getting.

Crown- This hornline has been the most hyped and talked about hornline of the season and they did not deliver the goods last night. Yes, they are a very good hornline with a difficult brass book and very exposed drill, but, they have a ton of stickouts especially in the trumpets that are killing them. Their trumpets sound very bright and crass to me and don’t meld well with the rest of the hornline, which sounded great. Overall this show concept doesn’t do anything for me and I bet they wish they never called the show “A Second Chance” because they blew their chance with this thrown together bit of second movements. The best part of the show is their ballad, which is very true to the original “Nimrod” which I best know as the choral piece “Agnus Dei”. Other than that they are still not a strong visual drum corps. They had many members with poor marching technique and even worse was their phasing. That was an issue the entire show. I do not see this corps scoring above the Cadets but for some reason they are.

Bluecoats- This show seems to be one of the fan favorites this year and from the scores and praise they have been getting I was very anxious to see them. Musically this show is excellent. The brass line was definitely the best Bluecoats hornline I have ever heard and they have quite an entertaining and difficult book. Visually this show was a huge letdown for me. For this drum corps to compete with BD and consistently be in the top 3 every year, they HAVE to improve their visual package both with drill and with technique. Their marching technique is the worst in the top five right now. From member to member it is too inconsistent. It is too late in the season for them to fix it and this is something they will definitely have to improve on next year in order for them to remain legitimate contenders. For me they are being scored way too generously and don’t deserve to be where they are now. Don’t get me wrong, this is a GREAT Bluecoats drum corps, but not so great where they should be beating the Cavaliers.

Cavaliers- I have seen this show multiple times on the Fan Network and was anxious to see it in person. This show looks like they are having fun with it and the hornline seems to be much improved over the last few years hornlines. They are finally putting out some volume and also keeping the technique and finesse that they have been known for. Visually this corps is very strong and the drill is one of their better offerings in a few years. The theme of this show is coming across very well and they have come a long way from where they were at the beginning of the season. This is another good show from them. They have an excellent way of always integrating their guard in with the rest of the drum corps and I was extremely impressed with the guard. I hope they can continue to push to the end of the season and maybe make the end of the season more competitive, but I doubt that because of the……

Blue Devils- Okay. I will tell you right off the bat that since I have watched this on the Fan Network I have completely disliked this show. I didn’t understand it, it was so segmented, and it was just bizarre. However, after seeing it in person I don’t hate it anymore, but I am also not in love with it. This show is different. It is edgy. It is good. This has to be one of the most talented drum corps to be in the activity in a long time. All three sections of the drum corps are equally contributing to this show and it is so hard to say this section is better than that. Their hornline is definitely the best this season. Visually this drum corps is without a doubt the best in the activity and they can march circles around everyone. This can possibly be a show a while from now where people look at it and can think “Man, this show is different, but I see why it won”. It isn’t personally my favorite show, but I respect the corps and where they are scoring.

Review- At this point in time I feel like the only corps in the right placement is the Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment. Everyone else in the top nine is not where they should be. I really feel like with all these changes being implemented every year in the activity, the judges are having difficulty interpreting the shows and starting to become subjective with the scoring rather than objective. I also do not like this direction that drum corps is heading in with synths and drum corps trying to put on stage productions. I don’t mind thinking, but I would rather not watch a thirty minute video to understand an 11 minute show. To me that is counter productive and defeats the point of putting on a show. I hope that next year corps will maybe take a step back and see this but with the current progression of drum corps every year, I am willing to be it will be even worse.

I will now tell you how I thought the corps should have placed.

9. SCV

8 + 7. Bluestars or Boston. These two corps should be neck and neck. I really don’t see why there is almost a three point gap.

6. Phantom Regiment with Boston or Bluestars being right behind them.

5. Carolina Crown

4. Bluecoats

3. Cadets

2. Cavaliers

1. Blue Devils

I am open to any questions or comments that anyone has.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also do not like this direction that drum corps is heading in with synths and drum corps trying to put on stage productions. I don’t mind thinking, but I would rather not watch a thirty minute video to understand an 11 minute show. To me that is counter productive and defeats the point of putting on a show. I hope that next year corps will maybe take a step back and see this but with the current progression of drum corps every year, I am willing to be it will be even worse.

:worthy:

Of course it's going to get worse. It's going to get worse until enough ex-drum corps members and fans from the 70's/80's/90's take the necessary steps to bring the "Activity" back. The only thing we can really do is raise hell with the DCI "Powers That Be" and boycott the shows. They'll only listen when show attendence starts to fall of dramatically. (It already has, but not enough)............

Wow. Your review seems angry,

A lot of people ARE angry. We've lost the activity that was once upon a time something we loved watching. Very little to look forward to each summer now.........

:worthy:

Of course it's going to get worse. It's going to get worse until enough ex-drum corps members and fans from the 70's/80's/90's take the necessary steps to bring the "Activity" back. The only thing we can really do is raise hell with the DCI "Powers That Be" and boycott the shows. They'll only listen when show attendence starts to fall of dramatically. (It already has, but not enough)............

Back to... what?

Back to... whom?

When people speak of drum corps as something that was lost to them, they imply that the activity belongs to them.

This fan from the 90s onward is having a hard time believing that the activity is yours. Isn't it ours?

Btw.

To the OP: This was an awesome (and non-angry, not sure where that was coming from) review.

I too think your review a fine example of what a review should be: a well-written collection of opinions based on your observations and personal experience. Nicely done.

I believe part of the stick out issue (caveat: I was NOT there...) has to do with Atlanta being the first domed show of the year...and the only one prior to the final 3 shows (roof 'may' be open Thursday...but I don't think that small opening at the top will alleviate much of the booming acoustic problems of Lucas...). This was also the root of the synth issue...well, the ROOT of the synth issue is having them at all...but their use is so problematic, given that each stadium requires a different placement of the knobs. I guess drum corps will need 'knob technicians' now...

I am really enjoying Bluecoats show this year...but could not agree with you more about their visual offering. They simply have not made visual a priority, and now it's too late. They may well drop as the final two weeks of the season progress.

I think the issue with stickouts and some balance issues could very well be attributed to the dome. As far as the synths, I don't know what to think. They are a huge to deterrent from what could otherwise be great musical moments from the hornline and battery. I am willing to bet that in the second level the amplification didn't seem nearly as bad as it did from the first level. For people that haven't been to a live show and are watching on Fan Network, you really can't here it like you can live. It really is a huge problem and I am having trouble understanding why these corps are getting such high GE music scores when there is no balance between the synth and the rest of the corps.

Edited by BACsader

Thanks for that review. I 'd agree with much of what you said here. I would take some issue on the Bluecoats review and your placement, as I like what they are doing and believe their high scoring and placement is warranted..... I also like The Cadets 2010 offering this year as it is fun and whimsical, and I'm able to take Geoffrey in stride and not find him as distracting as you did......I agree that the Blue Stars need to bring out their theme in a more coherent fashion. It's a great theme to do so. Their visual show is well designed.... I agree with you on SCV.. there is no way in the world they should be getting GE Visual scores as they did in Atlanta. The drill is very easy compared to others around them and with much dirt.... They do have a good brass line, drum line, guard though...but SCV show is a meh overall this year, imo.... your review of Boston clearly is from a homer perspective, and naturally you'd tend to see them through that prism. That said, I think Boston is underscored for their high demand, pretty well executed, well crafted show. I agree with your placement of Boston in this show. They should have gotten better visual scores, in particular,than they did ..... Crown has a very lush sound in their brass that is just wonderful, imo....Don't care for their body movements on the field, but that's personal preference.. drums are taking them out of legitimate contention for a title this year it seems......Phantom has the best musical opener in DCI this year in my opinion.... better visual and guard from last year... drums are helping them this year as they have a great drum line.... Cavs have a visual show that is outstanding.. good appealing show for them this year... Blue Devils... what can you say ? They are legitimately the best. No weaknesses in any section. But the show is a meh from the audience engagement perspective..... wish you saw Madison Scouts and Blue Knights. Madison knows how to entertain an audience, and this year they are delivering the musical goods from that perspective. Blue Knights have a fantastic show musically this year, imo too... Glassmen appear poised to keep their Finalist position over any challenger.... anyway, those would be my take off your review, and where we might agree or disagree a bit here... Thanks for taking the time to review the show for us.

Edited by BRASSO