Atlanta Review

Well, I guess it depends on how many feelings you have available, and make available.

Personally, I'm not only open to "excitement", the usual thrilled-bored-happy-mad stuff, but also to the more layered feelings that come out of especially good music and imagery.

For me, the SCV show works on so many more levels than most shows, that it's like switching from kid's books to grown-up books, or from cartoons to grown-up film drama. I saw, heard, and felt beautiful connections going on all over the field -- the "Game of Pairs" section was especially wonderful -- that appealed to me in ways that are almost unexplainable, and seemed to climb inside of Bartok's music in a way that was totally right.

This is not a bad thing -- it's a very good thing.

Emotion is as emotion does. I can't see any reason why a drum corps creation, like any other art form, can't appeal to more layered, subtle, and, yes, adult kinds of emotion. It's just as real as jumping around and screaming and shouting.

It's just too bad that the baritone player on side one of the final, ending set of SCV's show was three paces from his spot, distorting the entire form. Hmm, you would think the vis judges might have caught that.

Wait! I know!! That was intentional to make a design statement about the solitude inherent in the human existence!!!

Right......... :thumbup:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just too bad that the baritone player on side one of the final, ending set of SCV's show was three paces from his spot, distorting the entire form. Hmm, you would think the vis judges might have caught that.

Wait! I know!! That was intentional to make a design statement about the solitude inherent in the human existence!!!

Right......... :thumbup:

That baritone player just recently arrived to fill a hole.

That baritone player just recently arrived to fill a hole.

I'm sure he/she is a nice kid. But, that doesn't matter. It was obvious and glaring.

:worthy:

Of course it's going to get worse. It's going to get worse until enough ex-drum corps members and fans from the 70's/80's/90's take the necessary steps to bring the "Activity" back. The only thing we can really do is raise hell with the DCI "Powers That Be" and boycott the shows. They'll only listen when show attendence starts to fall of dramatically. (It already has, but not enough)............

First of all, thanks to the OP.... a great read. Do more, you're good at it! :thumbup:

LSU GRAD 82, just a quick question as to what you mean by bring the activitiy back? I'm not certain what activity you're watching but most of the corps marching this year have traditional drill and music. Some are using synths (particularly low end, and maybe a bit too much) and there is some voice over stuff and other sound effects but not that much. You make it sound like the lions are at the gate. And by the way, Atlanta was jamming with people, just like every venue I've attended (I mean jamming), so henny penny ain't happening. Just another grossly incorrect fact used to prop up a specious argument.

The only other area that might be angering you is the fact that BD is dominating the rankings, but how can that be viewed as stealing the activity? Really...one corps? Oh yeah, that's a real avalance! Just for the record, BD is followed by the other top 7 with very traditional drum corps shows...I just don't follow your post, it makes no sense. :worthy:

First of all, thanks to the OP.... a great read. Do more, you're good at it! :thumbup:

LSU GRAD 82, just a quick question as to what you mean by bring the activitiy back? I'm not certain what activity you're watching but most of the corps marching this year have traditional drill and music. Some are using synths (particularly low end, and maybe a bit too much) and there is some voice over stuff and other sound effects but not that much. You make it sound like the lions are at the gate. And by the way, Atlanta was jamming with people, just like every venue I've attended (I mean jamming), so henny penny ain't happening. Just another grossly incorrect fact used to prop up a specious argument.

The only other area that might be angering you is the fact that BD is dominating the rankings, but how can that be viewed as stealing the activity? Really...one corps? Oh yeah, that's a real avalance! Just for the record, BD is followed by the other top 7 with very traditional drum corps shows...I just don't follow your post, it makes no sense. :worthy:

For those of us that get what LSU GRAD 82 said, there is no need for an explanation.

For those that don't, I don't think we have the words to explain it.

Edited by ereese

I'm not certain what activity you're watching but most of the corps marching this year have traditional drill and music... Just for the record, BD is followed by the other top 7 with very traditional drum corps shows...I just don't follow your post, it makes no sense. :thumbup:

Traditional? Wow...maybe if you never heard of drum corps until about 1993 or later. I still enjoy the activity, but it's virtually unrecognizable compared to drum corps of the 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s. So much has changed that it's a whole different activity. Much of it is great. Very impressive and entertaining. But vastly different. The only show out there this year that can even remotely be called traditional in any historical sense would be the Madison Scouts.

I can understand how someone would say the music and drill really hasn't changed all that much in the last few years. It is the way they are trying to present the show that has completely changed. Every show now has some "deeper" meaning that the audience is supposed to pick up on. The problem is for the audience to understand they are using means that most people don't support such as voiceovers, sound effects, and synths. The only exception this year would by BD. Their music is really out there and their use of props is very different than the "traditional" use of props. Right now DCI is more appealing to high school marching band members rather than the alumni of the activity. (This is not a knock on high school marching band or its members) I don't necessary mind certain uses of amplification. For the front ensemble it makes a lot of sense. However, I'd rather not be talked through shows.

Edited by BACsader

For those of us that get what LSU GRAD 82 said, there is no need for an explanation.

For those that don't, I don't think we have the words to explain it.

it's not hard to get what lsu grad said.

if there are no words that can further clarify it in response to perfectly reasonable questions, then that generally shows it was pretty much vaporous to begin with.

anyhoo, thanks for the review. a lot of people could learn how to be decent from you.

Good review. I was there in Atlanta and saw it almost exactly as you did.

I like that you caught on to the much hyped Crown hornline. I've been telling my friend who has not seen them in the last few seasons that they are "the IT" and was expecting that on Saturday night. They did not deliver. That's not to say that they won't get it together by champs, but wanted to say I noticed that too.

Also agree with your take on Cadets, Bluecoats.

BD, I get what you're saying. I'm not entertained, but I accept why they're winning. Your remarks about talent and execution with this group, IMHO, are undeniable. Personally, there are moments in the program that are slowly paced but if I examined it further, I would classify it as "high brow." It goes over my head, but I'm inclined to respect it. It is not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't refute that they are getting it done.

Edited by DITD

Good review. I was there in Atlanta and saw it almost exactly as you did.

I like that you caught on to the much hyped Crown hornline. I've been telling my friend who has not seen them in the last few seasons that they are "the IT" and was expecting that on Saturday night. They did not deliver. That's not to say that they won't get it together by champs, but wanted to say I noticed that too.

Also agree with your take on Cadets, Bluecoats.

BD, I get what you're saying. I'm not entertained, but I accept why they're winning. Your remarks about talent and execution with this group, IMHO, are undeniable. Personally, there are moments in the program that are slowly paced but if I examined it further, I would classify it as "high brow." It goes over my head, but I'm inclined to respect it. It is not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't refute that they are getting it done.

That's exactly it about BD. Some people love it and some hate it, but regardless they are awesome and any person that knows a little something about DCI can't deny how good they are. As far as Crown's hornline, maybe just maybe because of the exposure of their drill and the terrible acoustics in the dome they were having some issues as far as balance. That is my only explanation. If that is the case, they will have their work cut out for them in Indi.