Bluecoats are for Real!

how many 5 year vets do the Bluecoats have? It can't be that many.

Anyway, they sure are having an awesome year. Their show kicks ###, but it could do without some of the electronic stuff, IMO. But, yes, they are definitely for real.

I know of at least three, drum major, low brass captain (baritone soloist), and another lead bari.

Some four year vets in there as well who deserve this from the 2007 season. In fact, I think that every Bloo alumni deserves this. Haven't exactly ever been the favorites to medal, people always saying that bloos gonna get 6th again, or worse. It just feels like the entire history of the corps has been this one big uphill battle against everyone's [else's] expectations. Even now there are still skeptics, when last year it seemed everyone thought Crown was pissing excellence and would win it all when that corps was in the same situation as the Bluecoats are now. Now I'm just ranting...

Really proud to be a Bluecoats alum right now, SIX WORDS

LETS GO BLOOOOOOO!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a vote FOR all of the electronics. It's now part of DCI, just like twirling flags, grounded timpani, high velocity drills and MANY other changes that have taken place over the years.

For my money nobody is using the electronics as well as the Bluecoats are...and it makes their 2010 show (The Future Is Now) a much better show.

Go Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue :smile:

I'd like to think the Bluecoats are having, yet again, a great year! Regardless of placement, it sure is special to see them this high, to me I am honestly not that surprised by it. They have been this way for years. Since 2003 and 2004 they have proven to be one of the top 7 corps in the activity year in and out. They just keep delivering great shows, music, entertainment, amazing value for their marchers, great education, a world-class experience, and a well-funded and well-managed operation.

The last sentence above is what it's really about. This is why they always compete well and why they get great talent and staff.

Admittedly, I know some were disappointed when the corps finished in 7th in 2007. Some folks still recall that moment and use it as an example of a corps not being able to finish strong, and now we see it being used as a way to say this is how all years end. But it's not. In 2007 the corps was running 4th almost all season. They made one mistake: they failed to truly clean the feet. Come finals that hurt them, and yet they were still only .8 out of 4th. They had a brass line that WON high brass at quarterfinals, and had they marched better at finals they may have WON that night as well. I listen to the recordings and I don't hear anyone better, and that includes the mighty Blue Devils. They also had a drumline that finished 2nd or 3rd at DCI Finals.

In every other year from 2003 to now I feel as though they have nailed their shows and finished as strong as they could come finals night. Even last year, they maxed out their show and performed flawlessly come finals. The show may have not been their best, but they nailed it finals night.

My point is: it's not ONLY a placement thing. When so many corps come and go the Bluecoats are striving for consistency in excellence at all times and they are doing the things that you need to with management, building the right infrastructure, hiring the best staff, touring as well as any corps out there, and just offering one of the best experiences on the road. Why do you think so many Texas kids want to march BLOOOO? Why do you think so many kids from all over want to march? This is why!!

Once you have all those other things in place, achieving top 3 status is simply a matter of having the right show elements come together. That's all. Face it, had the 2007 corps (with that brass, drums, guard) had slightly better feet and had a few of the show elements been tweaked just right, they would not have been 7th, but 2nd or 3rd. It's just the little things that take you from top 6/7 to top 3. This year they have that kind of production along with a typical Bluecoats hornline and drumline--and by typical I mean FANTASTIC!!!

Let's face it, they've been doing this for years. They just now have a bit better production and admittedly an improved guard. Is anyone really that surprised? I'm not.

Edited by jwillis35

Can someone tell me what that is supposed to mean. I've seen it a lot this year.... is it an inside joke? I only count 3 words. Please help this idiot understand. :smile:

The two are completely independent of each other.

"Six Words" is to Bluecoats like "SUTA" is to Phantom, or "Splooie" is to Cavies. It's something you will never know unless you march/have marched Bluecoats, or someone tells you that shouldn't.

His "Let's go Blooooooooo" is just an additional statement that has nothing to do with "Six Words".

Does that help?

The two are completely independent of each other.

"Six Words" is to Bluecoats like "SUTA" is to Phantom, or "Splooie" is to Cavies. It's something you will never know unless you march/have marched Bluecoats, or someone tells you that shouldn't.

His "Let's go Blooooooooo" is just an additional statement that has nothing to do with "Six Words".

Does that help?

I'm so tired of these inside things. The rest of us feel like the stranger at the party.

FOUR LETTERS!!!!

how many 5 year vets do the Bluecoats have? It can't be that many.

Off the top of my head....

Horn seargant (Baritone soloist)

Another baritone

1 tuba (a bunch more added to the list if you start at 07 instead of 06)

No mellos I don't believe

One trumpet?

Center Snare is from 07 i think

One in the pit?

Maybe one or two in the guard, but I think the oldest is from 07

Again...I could be wrong, my memory has faded...

Edited by jts5032

The answer is 5 - 5 year vets.

Only 4 are actually ageing out.

Can someone tell me what that is supposed to mean. I've seen it a lot this year.... is it an inside joke? I only count 3 words. Please help this idiot understand. :smile:

OK, I'll take a shot: "Domo arigato, Mister Roboto, Domo, Domo!" :thumbup: