How close is DCA to having amps/electronics?

There are more World class corps this year than last (23 vs. 22).

There were four (I believe that I am correct) new entries into the Open class division.

That is more than last year. I didn't say we were at 1970's numbers, but the numbers have increased. I wish there were more corps, but if you need to you can check this at dci.org.

One more World Class,.............same number of Open Class,...........and we are not there yet..............

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom,

Hope you're well and enjoying another great season.

I'm not an electoronics guy - I think our eras coincide pretty precisely - but I did just have a lot of fun including synth in my charts for 7th Regiment from CT - and I'm pretty pleased with the results - moderation in all things.

As to the cost - I loaned them one of my synths. I hope I'll get it back in 3 weeks. :)

disclaimer - the did already have the amplification for the pit.

One final note - and let me stay on record that I agree with you on your comments concerning substituting electronic sounds (which never ..errrr. rarely) get tired after a long rehearsal - for real human musicians - but with the tendency in DCA to down-size (with just a couple of exceptions) a corps like Bushwhackers would take keyboards etc. and write them organically into their show rather than simply doubling bass or trumpet parts, and make it cool. Would it change the ethos? Yes I agree it would, but at what point (25 horns, 22 horns, 18 horns?) do corps start to lose the sound that make a fan happy and if they could jam with 20 horns and electronics, how many more corps can DCA afford to lose in the next couple of years.

Just playing devil's advocate - it's 4am!

Hope it doesn't happen...

I think you are correct. With the falling number of older members and the decreasing horn line sizes electronics could help jazz up the sound. In fact I think electronics are even more relevent for the smaller corps. Everybody might not like it, but it could add to the sound especially on the low end.

Tom was correct earlier when he mentioned the balance issues with electronics, but when they are used well they do add to the show. The use of electronics is better this year in DCI than last and I am sure that it will continue to improve as the corps get more and more familiar with how to use them in the outdoor environment.

Electronics are NOT going away. G bugles are NOT comimg back.

One more World Class,.............same number of Open Class,...........and we are not there yet..............

As I said, there are more corps. To say there are less is innaccurate.

I hope DCI and DCA hold there own or continue to add new corps in the future.

I think you are correct. With the falling number of older members and the decreasing horn line sizes electronics could help jazz up the sound. In fact I think electronics are even more relevent for the smaller corps. Everybody might not like it, but it could add to the sound especially on the low end.

When did DCA ever take a census and get counts or averages on age?

Some of the newer corps have some young looking members... but that might be because of my (increasing) age....

Jim - it's true. The age in the Hurcs front ensemble ranges from 14 to 30. Most of them are in their teens to early 20's with only a few exceptions.

When did DCA ever take a census and get counts or averages on age?

Some of the newer corps have some young looking members... but that might be because of my (increasing) age....

Its true, Michael Boo's blog for the Dome show stated that Alliance's average age is 20 this year. Gotta have some young members in order to get an average the low. Plus (somone else was implying this in an earlier post), hornlines have grown or stayed the same this year. All four active southern groups are fielding larger lines this year (almost positive). I Sun Devils, Alliance and CV are and I think SS is as well. Bucs are the same and MBI is pretty close to the same, along with Empire. It looks like Cabs are a little bigger this year and I think Bush is too.

Sounds too me like there are several examples of where hornlines in both classes have grown.

Edited by BOSMarcher

There are more World class corps this year than last (23 vs. 22).

That would be Jersey Surf who moved up from Open class leaving one "less" Corps in Open class.

There were four (I believe that I am correct) new entries into the Open class division.

Since I'm no longer a fan of what DCI does because of some of the utterly rediculous changes they have and want to make I don't know who these four (4) new Open class Corps are. Would you please be so kind as to tell me (us) who these four (4) new Corps are?

I didn't say we were at 1970's numbers, but the numbers have increased.

Based on what the g7 (huh) want you can rest assured that you will NEVER see those types of number again. Or even how DCI has decimated the activity you'll never see those number as well. So let's not be foolish here.

On another note I kind of resent your use of the word "hater" towards those who have an opinion different from the people who have turned the activity into their own money pit. And your assertion that crowds are hugh and/or "sold out" is not true. There are very few shows where there are hugh crowds (DCI EAST and the other regionals maybe) and I have NEVER seen or heard of a "sold out" Drum Corps show, and I've been involved (and still actively participating) in the activity since 1953. Since time "in memoriam" Drum Corps show sponsors have wanted, no NEEDED all of the revenue they can get their hands on to pay the exorbitant fees and expenses they incur to put on a Drum Corps. Please be more accurate with what you seem to be referring to as "facts".

Jamie and BOS..... I'm always interested in the ages of DCA corps members since I started at 16 in 1974. Then my corps had one of the lowest average age due to the corps restarting. And since each corps is an "individual" (can't think of a better term) the age breakdowns are different. But I've seen posts that seem to say that DCAa average age has been going down in the last few years which I question. I don't question that it may be happening, I'm questioning how this can be measured/determined.

Saw Sun Devils at a parade and horn line looked pretty good size for the newness of the corps. Not sure if it was even the whole horn line or just what fit into one bus. :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

That would be Jersey Surf who moved up from Open class leaving one "less" Corps in Open class.

Since I'm no longer a fan of what DCI does because of some of the utterly rediculous changes they have and want to make I don't know who these four (4) new Open class Corps are. Would you please be so kind as to tell me (us) who these four (4) new Corps are?

That would be Teal Sound, who moved up this year...Jersey Surf moved up last year.

As for the four "new" OC corps, that's not entirely accurate. One of them is Spartans, who are not "new" but returned from inactive status; I believe another is Forte, which for all intents and purposes was formerly known as Memphis Sound.

The statment was made earlier in this thread (several times) that as personnel change in DCA and new blood comes in, electronics are inevitable. I disagree-it was a very vocal few in DCI who spearheaded the push for electronics. FWIW, those same are now pushing a concept called "G7". Enough said, but I wouldn't rush to the judgement that every single DCI corps has rushed out singing the praises of having to fund, transport, and properly operate their electronic gadgetry. The vast majority of them still haven't gotten the "properly operating" part down, IMHO. Every year at DCA championships, Friday evening proves that great sounds can come from not so large brass lines...WITHOUT AMPS & SYNTHS! For heaven's sake, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

That would be Teal Sound, who moved up this year...Jersey Surf moved up last year.

Thank you for that info and I graciously stand corrected.

As for the four "new" OC corps, that's not entirely accurate. One of them is Spartans, who are not "new" but returned from inactive status; I believe another is Forte, which for all intents and purposes was formerly known as Memphis Sound.

So based on that information we have:

(A) 1 "LESS" Open class Corps.

(B) 2 Open class Corps that are coming back after not being able to compete last year.

Let's see, add 2, subtract 1, equals, Hhmmm. So, if dcpincollector can't furnish two more Open class Corps then that's a grand total of 1 quasi-new Corps, NOT the 5 new Corps that dcpincollector inferred.

The statment was made earlier in this thread (several times) that as personnel change in DCA and new blood comes in, electronics are inevitable. I disagree-it was a very vocal few in DCI who spearheaded the push for electronics.

Unfortunately the rest of the then DCI BoD voting members just "went along for the ride".

FWIW, those same are now pushing a concept called "G7".

Thus far the rest of the voting members of the DCI BoD have shown better sense this time. And, to the best of my knowledge g7 may not be a total of 7 Corps anyway. Those Corps will not be able to go forward with their concept until next year at the earliest. Who knows what will happen to DCI then. It's like a snake eating itself.

Enough said, but I wouldn't rush to the judgement that every single DCI corps has rushed out singing the praises of having to fund, transport, and properly operate their electronic gadgetry. The vast majority of them still haven't gotten the "properly operating" part down, IMHO. Every year at DCA championships, Friday evening proves that great sounds can come from not so large brass lines...WITHOUT AMPS & SYNTHS! For heaven's sake, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

And it is truly one of the REAL highlights of the entire Championship weekend. Nothing like a relaxed party atmosphere. The only thing electronic about that weekend is the "announcers" microphone. :thumbup: