Blue Devils in Fairfax

Well, that only took 4 posts.

deadhorse.gif

Sure, but that may be the most respectful of all the posts along that line that we've seen. He made it clear that he thought that BD played their butts off, and then politely explained why he didn't like the show's design. At least he offered an explanation for his opinion. We can't make the mistake of placing all of the people against BD 2010's show design in the same boat of "haters." Some of them, like bigfanDC, actually have well-supported opinions that are at least worth a CIVIL DISCUSSION, something all-too-rare in the forums of DCP.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but that may be the most respectful of all the posts along that line that we've seen. He made it clear that he thought that BD played their butts off, and then politely explained why he didn't like the show's design. At least he offered an explanation for his opinion. We can't make the mistake of placing all of the people against BD 2010's show design in the same boat of "haters." Some of them, like bigfanDC, actually have well-supported opinions that are at least worth a CIVIL DISCUSSION, something all-too-rare in the forums of DCP.

Yeah, a real discussion building post. :smile:

OK..here's a quote: "The whole thing looks like a big mess on the field, and the mirrors make this worse."

Your response:

Here's another: "The guard unis made my head spin in a seasick kind of way, and the music choice is well, just not pleasant to hear most of the time."

Your response:

And my favorite: "why do the designers give them this crazy unpleasant mess to contend with?"

Your response:

From everything that I have heard and read about poeples opinion of BD's show this year, the common theme from the "haters" are that the members perform at a rediculously high level, but the show design is what loses them. I saw their show on youtube a week or so before Atlanta and again at the Atlanta show and can say that I kind of fall in line with this mind set. That's not hating on the corps members. It's not like you have to win a popularity contest to walk away with a championship, but why would BD design a show that even their most loyal fan base won't like? And before I get torched for saying such a thing, please read on...

I was sitting in the middle deck at Atlanta on the 50 yard line. I took note of the lack of standing ovation that BD received at the end of their performance. Were their people that stood up for them? Absolutely. Was it as much as half of the people in the portion of the audience i could see? Not even close. Hard to say what percentage, but it was not what you would expect. I mean really, this is the best drum corps on the planet...according to the scores this year, by a good bit too. But people like what they like. And this type of show isn't it. People can argue all they want about the direction of design in drum corps, but it's undeniable from what I have observed that the masses do not like this direction. I saw the last 17 corps at Atlanta, and most of them had more crowd response than did BD. I have a hard time believing that the Blue Devils are ok with people not cheering for them.

Let the flame throwing begin!

playing while performing challenging drill is even rarer.

Did you miss the whole end of the show? I haven't seen anyone this year playing while doing more difficult drill.

While I can understand your complaints about an inaccessible music book and too much going on on the field (which I think are legitimate critiques. . . I don't understand why people get so up in arms about this type of stuff), the quoted part is just absurd.

From everything that I have heard and read about poeples opinion of BD's show this year, the common theme from the "haters" are that the members perform at a rediculously high level, but the show design is what loses them. I saw their show on youtube a week or so before Atlanta and again at the Atlanta show and can say that I kind of fall in line with this mind set. That's not hating on the corps members. It's not like you have to win a popularity contest to walk away with a championship, but why would BD design a show that even their most loyal fan base won't like? And before I get torched for saying such a thing, please read on...

I was sitting in the middle deck at Atlanta on the 50 yard line. I took note of the lack of standing ovation that BD received at the end of their performance. Were their people that stood up for them? Absolutely. Was it as much as half of the people in the portion of the audience i could see? Not even close. Hard to say what percentage, but it was not what you would expect. I mean really, this is the best drum corps on the planet...according to the scores this year, by a good bit too. But people like what they like. And this type of show isn't it. People can argue all they want about the direction of design in drum corps, but it's undeniable from what I have observed that the masses do not like this direction. I saw the last 17 corps at Atlanta, and most of them had more crowd response than did BD. I have a hard time believing that the Blue Devils are ok with people not cheering for them.

No flame. Well stated. The fact is that many folks (in some venues) are sick of BD winning and want new blood in the top 3 (preferably their favorite...and in some cases whether they deserve it or not). Their reaction is weighted heavily by their desire for BD to lose. This is what I see as a carry over from 08 on through 09 and beyond until they lose. That's what it's about under the guise of show criticism. That's why the nature of the criticism is abnormal...and you have to admit that the poster's post was unusually abnormally hateful in it's delivery and content. Afterall, what would you say if some guy told you your girl friend was fat, ugly, stupid, and dressed like ####, but was always on time? Laced with just enough nice to make you pause a second before you beat his ###. Sure, it's DCP say what you want, but don't try to convence me that civil criticism looks like that. Perhaps if your with the WWF!!

Final note: BD knew when Finals was moved permanently to the MidWest this was going to happen. I was at the Rose Bowl in 07 and saw the crowd. These days BD could have John Philips Sousa on the payroll and they're going to be disliked by a measured population until they lose. It's the nature of DCI, homers and the competition system. And trying to characterize it as legitimate criticism is laughable. I personally stand and applaud for all corps to show my appreciation for their effort and anyone who uses that simple gesture as a pathetic means of attempting to effect the competitive outcome are themselves pathetic (not that you are)!

Edited by Plan9

Well, that only took 4 posts.

deadhorse.gif

No THAT'S funny!!!!!

Yeah, a real discussion building post. :smile:

Not possible! Not on this board (or any other for that matter).

Not going to throw flames but just say that this is precisely the response I expect to see for a show that intentionally

avoids convention like this year's BD. It is polarizing between those who are open to new ways of doing things and those

who prefer to stay in the comfort zone. This is not a value judgment on either type. Different strokes for different folks,

as they say.

And historically, BD has never designed for maximum crowd response moments alone. They don't put those moments in

their show, like 32 count major triad long tone crescendos meant for no other reason than to cue the crowd to stand up.

BD shows are meant to grab one's full attention from start to finish without interruption. It is also meant to be best appreciated

after many viewings.

As I've said before, we need an activity that has lots of variety to accommodate people different tastes. And this year

I think we've got that.

I was there last night (very late). It was clear to me and three DCI neophytes that Blue Devils' performance level was top of the charts. It was not clear however that anyone in our party enjoyed watching the Blue Devils' show.

The whole thing looks like a big mess on the field, and the mirrors make this worse. Marching in the drill is infrequent and playing while performing challenging drill is even rarer. The guard unis made my head spin in a seasick kind of way, and the music choice is well, just not pleasant to hear most of the time.

I don't fault the kids (young adults) in any way. They pour their hearts into it and do it well. But, why do the designers give them this crazy unpleasant mess to contend with. I am all for innovation and variety, but this show amounts to performance art gone wrong and due to GE alone should not be in the top spot.

Coming after the entertaining music and breakneck drill of the Blue Stars made it all the more apparent to me that DCI risks a certain death if more designers and directors follow their lead.

As mentioned before. Horsecrap. Like the beating the dead horse photo.

People don't like BD's show?!

kijinnmaru-inconceivable.jpg

(I became a fan too.....but jeez....both sides........take a chill pill)