Blue Devils in Fairfax

I appreciate all forms of music. hell, I never heard of Spartacus or Puck til drum corps did it. That list could go on and on...jazz included.

you'll never see an outright 86 style show done again, because the system won't reward it. I like Kenton...some of the non popular stuff. I loved BD's 91 show with Bird and bela. but this year, if this many people are speaking up saying they don't like it, well, that many people can't be wrong. Or haters

And that's the big shame here. By all means, be visually NEW and DIFFERENT and run your butts off when you can ........ but play the charts man..... just play the charts.

What I'm getting from the 2010 arrangements is anything but THE CHARTS... and this goes back quite a few years as well.

In my observation, as has been stated in this thread, BD has made a shift in show design. It's 100% all on full out non stop from beginning to end down your throat in your face BAMMM! OK, I get it. That's cool. But it's a totally different form of tension and release. I truly can't quantify it as a "variety" of effects ....... they're all kinda the same effects musically..... just with small variations. There can be alot of beauty in jazz (as you stated in the 91 show .. also one of my favorites) but it requires some tacet from other sections of the corps proper in order to achieve. Silence and Rests are just as important in music as are 32nd notes and Neopolitan Sixths with a -9 and +11. That is where I find the lack of variety ...... and the balance is gone between the tension and release. 6 minutes of tension and 5 seconds of release doesn't add up to a 10 or a 9.8 in my book and never will.

If you dissect the 86 or 88 show ........ the release was usually an entire chart. Or the middle movement of Channel One. I even consider Goodbye Yesterday as a "release" effect ..... and they played darn near the entire chart ....... to perfection and even enhanced on the original in my book. That to me is far more impressive than what I'm seeing in the arranging methods being used today by Downey, Bocook and others in the Modern DCI Era.

It's like the old MTV became DCI and everything has to change in 5 second intervals or all the ADHD fans will lose interest in what's going on on the field. As said by others, it's just bad art made faster.

I don't know how to close my thoughts here ................. I just miss my old BD. As my sig says, PYWARE KILLED DRUM CORPS ......... well so did WGI ... the influence in arranging of percussion and how they fit in with the entire ensemble has been a game changer ........ that along with the visual demands of todays shows has made it impossible to play a chart the way it was supposed to be played (or even made better than the original). I guess we're stuck with what we've got unless others take on the approach that Madison has taken this year.

Sometimes, you have to dial it back in order to move forward ...... and IMHO it's long overdue.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think I would like more than few shows live the last few years, and I became a believer seeing them at Allentown. Even better, I am going to Indy, so there's a chance i could see a show 3 more times and have it grow on me.

funnier yet..the more I saw cavies 02, the less I liked it

Maybe you just don't like drum corps all together and should find some other mode of entertainment. Golf? You're either awesome or you suck. No messy grey area with the judges and the captions and dees tings. I love our governor.

Edited by bluublood

It exists my friend. I can still hear the booing from the Allentown stands all four years I was with the blue crew... which made winning that show all the better :tongue:

Hmm...I dont recall it from the stands when I was there (oops, I just used one of my 'speak for the audience cards...only 4 left) I mean heck, cadets got booed at finals on the EAST COAST when we tied the score record in 2005....so its not always a regional thing. For my part, I have yet to boo any corps....

Hmm...I dont recall it from the stands when I was there (oops, I just used one of my 'speak for the audience cards...only 4 left) I mean heck, cadets got booed at finals on the EAST COAST when we tied the score record in 2005....so its not always a regional thing. For my part, I have yet to boo any corps....

Good... booing sucks (especially at you), and I'll kick the next person in the throat that I see booing at a show.

To be fair .... Winning in Boston ......... yeah the boo's were gonna come anyway :P

There is some lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng history of spite and malice there. I'll even call it healthy :)

Definitely, NOT a home show for Cadets.

To be fair .... Winning in Boston ......... yeah the boo's were gonna come anyway :P

There is some lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng history of spite and malice there. I'll even call it healthy :)

Definitely, NOT a home show for Cadets.

We could put the show in Philly - then they would boo our drum major and demand that we put the assistant DM on the podium. Then, when that happens and things fall apart, they could start calling for the directors head....

We could put the show in Philly - then they would boo our drum major and demand that we put the assistant DM on the podium. Then, when that happens and things fall apart, they could start calling for the directors head....

Hey Nick, I really enjoyed touring with you guys for most of '05. You'd be surprised at the things that came out of the Alumns/drivers talking over the radio at 4am on the long hauls (Because Hoppy never slept and was always listening) ......... we should talk sometime.

I want to OWN page 14 .. so here goes:

Why is it whenever "I" put up a huge post about what I "think" or "believe" based on a BD topic ... or any other topic for that matter ...... I get next to ZIP, ZILCH, ZERO for responses.

Am I really that scary? :tongue:

I want to OWN page 14 .. so here goes:

Why is it whenever "I" put up a huge post about what I "think" or "believe" based on a BD topic ... or any other topic for that matter ...... I get next to ZIP, ZILCH, ZERO for responses.

Am I really that scary? :tongue:

There is nothing abrasive about your posts. They provide more of an "ahh" "oh yeah" "good point" affect. I enjoy reading your posts if that provides any consolation. You want some action? I'm sure Mr. Ream can give you some tips. :tongue: