The Oil Can Lid

Based on forecast, will the roof be open?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the current long range forecast, will the roof be open for Qtrs as advertised?

• Yes, I think the weather gods will smile on us
    • No, there will be the threat of rain so they will have to keep it closed.
    • We all knew it was too good to be true.
    • Will start open, then get closed later which will REALLY open a can of worms.

I don't know that it's actually been "rained out"-but there have been significant delays, especially in Orlando. The only "rain out" per se that I personally recall, was in Boston(Foxboro) in '94; it had been raining on and off during quarters, by the time they got to the top 6 it was coming down steadier so DCI made the call to "automatically" seed the top 6 into semis so they didn't have to risk injury on a slippery field. You can imagine how that went over with the masses, and a couple of corps actually came into the stadium and performed in standstill in the rain, anyway (of course, this was back when corps were "un-plugged"). Stands were also cleared due to lightning in the area (again, Foxboro but this time in '05) and I think that was at quarters too. It made for some late Thursday nights, especially back when scores weren't so readily on the net and you either had to wait for the score announcement, get a phone call from someone you knew who waited, or find out the next a.m.

actually the rain was just as much to do with performer safety as it did with the Patriots/Redskins preseason game held there the next night in 94

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually the rain was just as much to do with performer safety as it did with the Patriots/Redskins preseason game held there the next night in 94

Ah, yes, thank you, Jeff. I had blocked that horrible debacle out of my mind and forgotten all about it. Of course, back then, for those who were not involved in the activity at the time, you should have seen what DCI was like if you think politics are involved now.

Normally, I would be a fan of the roof being open. I absolutely hate closed environments for drum corps.

I have been excited ever since the announcement was made by DCI about opening the roof for a trial run at this year's quarterfinals. What an awesome way to get a feel for how to improve things -- especially considering we're in this for the long haul.

As of today, however, I'm not so sure. And that's all because Indianapolis is now under an EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING for today and Thursday. Colts fans (who are wimps by the way) complained at a game two years ago when it was 80 degrees and sunny out because it was too hot in the stadium and the sun was in their eyes. I'm not kidding you. I guess when some people are used to air conditioning and comfortable sight lines, then you'll always have complainers when they become like every other NFL stadium and have to deal with... *cough*... elements. Even if those elements include beautiful weather and sun.

But tomorrow will be a little different with the heat. From the National Weather Service:

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS

MORNING TO 8 PM EDT THURSDAY.

* TEMPERATURE...HEAT INDEX VALUES WILL AGAIN REACH THE 105 TO

110 DEGREE RANGE TODAY AND THURSDAY AFTERNOON...AS AIR

TEMPERATURES RISE INTO THE MID TO UPPER 90S.

So, would you open or close it? Dare I even ask.

Ahh if only they were back in S. Cali again! Mid 70's during the day to mid 60's by the end of the show.

And...

**cough**

... a much larger audience.

This is a very serious and sobering subject. After having endured the sweltering heat of the Southern portion of the 2010 DCI tour, I would advise DCI to err on the side of caution. The performers, young children, middle-aged spectators, and elderly fans in attendance at competitions were threatend by Thunderstorms and even Tornados (Minneapolis) durng the tour. But to force those same groups to brave 100 degree plus conditions for more than 4 hours would not be an intelligent move.

I was at the 2003 DCA Championships Prelims when a member of the Kilties Drum and Bugle corps collapsed on the field during their Prelim performance. The baritone player later passed away because of the lack of proper ememrgency medical personnel and equipment at the competition that evening. A drum corps brother lost his life because someone did not take the proper percautions to safeguard the health and well-being of the performers.

DCI: Please take the safety of our young Drum corps members, youngest fans and the elderly fans into full account when you make your final decision on whether the LOS roof will be open or closed on Thursday. None of us want anyone performing or attending the competition to be stressed to the point of heat exaustion, heat stroke, or even death. We may love the purity of the Drum corps sound when it is in an outdoor stadium, but we don't want to experience it at the high cost of a life. Please, put the lives of the competitiors and the elderly fans above our need for audio purity. If the Heat Index is too high (over 110 degrees) inside the Stadium with the roof open, please, close it.

The recent Heat Wave (remember the corps?) has claimed more than 50 lives nationwide. Let's not let the Heat Wave claim any lives at Lucas Oil Stadium!

Yours in Drum corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

This is a very serious and sobering subject. After having endured the sweltering heat of the Southern portion of the 2010 DCI tour, I would advise DCI to err on the side of caution. The performers, young children, middle-aged spectators, and elderly fans in attendance at competitions were threatend by Thunderstorms and even Tornados (Minneapolis) durng the tour. But to force those same groups to brave 100 degree plus conditions for more than 4 hours would not be an intelligent move.

I was at the 2003 DCA Championships Prelims when a member of the Kilties Drum and Bugle corps collapsed on the field during their Prelim performance. The baritone player later passed away because of the lack of proper ememrgency medical personnel and equipment at the competition that evening. A drum corps brother lost his life because someone did not take the proper percautions to safeguard the health and well-being of the performers.

DCI: Please take the safety of our young Drum corps members, youngest fans and the elderly fans into full account when you make your final decision on whether the LOS roof will be open or closed on Thursday. None of us want anyone performing or attending the competition to be stressed to the point of heat exaustion, heat stroke, or even death. We may love the purity of the Drum corps sound when it is in an outdoor stadium, but we don't want to experience it at the high cost of a life. Please, put the lives of the competitiors and the elderly fans above our need for audio purity. If the Heat Index is too high (over 110 degrees) inside the Stadium with the roof open, please, close it.

The recent Heat Wave (remember the corps?) has claimed more than 50 lives nationwide. Let's not let the Heat Wave claim any lives at Lucas Oil Stadium!

Yours in Drum corps,

Ron Gunn

You are probably the one with the most sense Ron I totally agree with with your thoughts on the matter ! Smitty

DCI: Please take the safety of our young Drum corps members, youngest fans and the elderly fans into full account when you make your final decision on whether the LOS roof will be open or closed on Thursday. None of us want anyone performing or attending the competition to be stressed to the point of heat exaustion, heat stroke, or even death.

Ron Gunn

Ron, DCI will NOT make the decision to open the roof or leave it closed. The decision rests with Lucas Oil stadium management. They're the ones responsible for the stadium and the field. Now if DCI recommends leaving the roof closed because of the concerns you mention, and they very well may, I'm sure Lucas Oil will go along with that. But if DCI wants the roof open in spite of heat, it's not up to them. The final decision is Lucas Oil's.

Yours in Drum corps,

Ron Gunn

Lothar (Kiltie Mellophone Legend) died of a heart attack. I do not know role heat played. May he rest in peace. :thumbup:

That said, some of us do believe that Drum Corps is an inherently outdoor activity.

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but wasn't the reasoning behind opening up something to do with acoustics?

Flawed logic anyway....opening the roof shouldn't make much difference, honestly....unless the corps start blowing straight up.

Acoustics is all physics, vectors, infraction and refraction. I don't imagine much sound is bouncing off the roof and then coming down in the stands.

(Or did I miss something?)