The Oil Can Lid

Based on forecast, will the roof be open?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the current long range forecast, will the roof be open for Qtrs as advertised?

• Yes, I think the weather gods will smile on us
    • No, there will be the threat of rain so they will have to keep it closed.
    • We all knew it was too good to be true.
    • Will start open, then get closed later which will REALLY open a can of worms.

can't they run the AC even with the roof open. It won't be as effective, but it should help some.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand why they can't open the roof on such a hot and humid day with a high index, making for poor air quality.

I personally don't think opening the roof will help. What I do believe might help a little bit is having the north window opened. That's a LOT of glass and metal for the sound to bounce off of. The roof is so high that the damage is done before the sound ever gets out.

While I know some folks believed opening the roof would change the acoustics (it wouldn't)

Uh....... :tongue:

It would be impossible for it to have no effect. Whether it would be an improvement can be argued but it is ridiculous to try to claim it will make no difference at all.

On Hopkins Facebook page he said it looks like it will be open (coming from DCI meeting).

The heat index is supposed to rise to 107, which would be unbearable, especially in the halls and lobbies, where the air conditioning would also be turned off.

Were we just tougher back in the day, or was it just what we had to live with?

Open stadiums are open all the way around including the sides and back. There was plenty of openings for air to pass through. A dome with a roof that can be opened doesn't have nearly as good air flow.

Also, we were tougher back then because nobody had air conditioning so we were used to it. :lol:

Open stadiums are open all the way around including the sides and back. There was plenty of openings for air to pass through. A dome with a roof that can be opened doesn't have nearly as good air flow.

Also, we were tougher back then because nobody had air conditioning so we were used to it. :lol:

I remember being in maybe 5 schools over the course of 6 years that had air conditioning. I know I never rode on a bus that had air conditioning (that's where the term BUS HAIR as a musical dynamic came from .... opened windows on long hauls). Did they even measure Heat Indexes back in the 80's? I know we had the largest solar flair going on during that time period that had taken place since they started recording those events (or had the ability to). I think Montreal was the only dome show that I can remember back then. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Personally, I think Heat is a wimpy reason to close the roof. There's now NO WAY for the directors to have an informed opinion at the Januall to vote on opening or closing the roof for 2011.