Pitchforks and Torches

It seems obvious to me that when the championship is decided by the smallest mathematical margin possible: there was a pretty high degree of caption-splitting going on, and you might as well have tossed a coin to pick the winner. Switch one finals judge off the panel and the result could easily have been different.

But I was in Bloomington, and most in the crowd were ecstatic when Regiment pulled it off, not only because so many people loved the show, but because of PR's very rare progression in placement over the three nights, and also because Regiment had only won (a share of) one championship previously.

When a corps comes in having dominated all year, as BD will this year, eight or nine years out of ten, they're going to win finals. It's pretty hard to knock 'em off.

But Granny's right. It probably would have gotten pretty ugly with the crowd if PR had lost. It would have been among the most controversial finals ever. Just as some here tonight seem to want to "take the shine off" Regiment's win, there would have been people in Bloomington (and still doing it, here, today) "taking the shine off" if the Devils had won in 2008.

Edited by Peel Paint

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue that this phenomenon is only possible if there is one corps' show that the entire crowd can rally behind. In 2008, there was Phantom and BD. There were other good shows, but imo no other GREAT shows. This year however, Everyone in the Top 6 seems to be putting out amazing productions, and the crowd is split in every which way. Every corps will get a friendly greeting at Finals and every corps will do well, but I doubt the crowd could rally behind one corps.

Phantom propelled Phantom to victory, without the aid of politics or anything else.

I'm not sure how many people in the crowd that night really expected Phantom to win. At least not those familiar with DCI. I'm not convinced it would have been really "ugly" if BD had won.

Phantom propelled Phantom to victory, without the aid of politics or anything else.

I'm not sure how many people in the crowd that night really expected Phantom to win. At least not those familiar with DCI. I'm not convinced it would have been really "ugly" if BD had won.

I completely agree. There might have been a bit of an "awwwwww" at first but then there would have been an appreciative and enthusiastic ovation that lasted a long time before it got quiet enough to announce BD's score.

I'd argue that this phenomenon is only possible if there is one corps' show that the entire crowd can rally behind. In 2008, there was Phantom and BD. There were other good shows, but imo no other GREAT shows. This year however, Everyone in the Top 6 seems to be putting out amazing productions, and the crowd is split in every which way. Every corps will get a friendly greeting at Finals and every corps will do well, but I doubt the crowd could rally behind one corps.

Well, IMO Cavaliers Samurai show was certainly a great contender, and BTW, I think the only corps to knock BD off (Allentown) prior to finals week.

This is my second thread in a half hour. You can blame the guy in the cafeteria who accidentally put caffeinated coffee where the decaf goes. Let's just say that I'm really hyper right now.

Rewind to 2008: A "movement" occurred throughout drum corps that helped propel (in my unscientific opinion) Phantom to victory. I remember posts on DCP in mid July where many were almost shouting that if Phantom didn't win it would be one of the great travesties in drum corps history.

I personally saw the show several times throughout the season (including the first show of the year), Denver, etc. and I noticed a literal ground swell of excitement for this show. It was destiny in the making. The fans had their pitchforks and torches under their seats and ready to use.

I for one believe that particular show had all the components of a legendary show. One of the key elements was fan support. I think it deserved to win 2008, but there is a part of me that believes the fans made it nearly impossible for it not to win. Does that make any sense?

Fast forward to 2010: I question whether there is a corps this year that can harness the power of the crowd. I haven't seen the same zeal for any of the shows this year that rivals the fanaticism that was shown in 08. Could that change? Perhaps, but it's getting late.

I think someone else said this (probably Bawker or Jeff Ream) but the magic ingedient for PR 08 was all about the story. Yeah, good drumline, etc but they lost most of captions to BD. It was the story and that isn't present this year. Perhaps Cadets have the best shot at a story but maybe not dramatic enough...who knows. Couple that with the standard mid west anyone but BD fervor and you have 08. Still trying to foment revolution...are you??? Nothing would please me more than to waterboard you...and you might like it! :lookaround:

Well, IMO Cavaliers Samurai show was certainly a great contender, and BTW, I think the only corps to knock BD off (Allentown) prior to finals week.

You are correct! Last regular season loss for BD. And I agree, I still think it was Cavies best show in recent years.

Edited by Plan9

I saw Phantom vs BD at a local show in Huntington, WV that year. I loved Phantom. Great show. Tremendous. But BD blew 'em away, and was by far the better corps.

Not that it matters, BD was the fan favorite that night as well.

I don't think a corps that had the all-time losingest season for a champion that had only ONE win over it's chief rival makes it the "greatest ever" corps show.

And I'm not a BD cheerleader or a PR hater (actually, I love both), I'm just a fan, with an opinion that represents only one person.

Me.

Edited by wvu80

I remember after scores were announced on semifinals. I told the people in my group, Phantom is going to win tomorrow. DCI judging is so predictable. After watching the show on finals night, I told everyone Phantom had won before the scores were announced. No one believed me, as Blue Devils and Cavaliers had better performed shows.

And if you look at the total of their scores, the whole thing is extremely suspicious. Colorguard score was nowhere near justified. GE score nowhere near justified. And the Blue Devils percussion score being so low was another really weird occurance that night. If any of these captions had been judged correctly, do you honestly believe Phantom Regiment would have won??? Politics gave Phantom an early Christmas present in 2008.

So you can simultaneously adjudicate three captions- good for you! You should contact DCI as it appears that by hiring you they could really reduce their adjudication budget. Also, in addition to being able to simultaneously adjudicate multiple captions, you are clairvoyant and can predict that certain judges would "throw" things Phantom's way even before finals started. It really must be nice to have those skill sets!

I would prefer the most entertaining corps to win...technically superior shows that are sterile (imho) that win cause others to follow in their footsteps, and that's bad for business...

Agreed, and who decides what's the most entertaining....go ahead...say "the crowd"!