Pitchforks and Torches

Unfortunately Phanrom in no way deserved to win in 08. They should have been 3rd. Their visual GE and Colorguard scores should have prevented them from winning the title. The only caption they should have even been top 3 would have been percussion, which they deserved to win. It was a fantastic show, and I have watched it many many times. However a championship show it wasn't. This is my opinion, and I know it isn't necessarily a popular one. They definitely were the crowd favorite that year though, but most of that seemed to be because of the on field killings. Overall Cavaliers probably had many more WOW moments in the drill and visual GE.

This year I think the only show that could overcome Blue Devils is Cavaliers. At the shows we have been to this year, Cavies have definitely had the crowd support, which I haven't seen for them since the early 2000s. It probably helps they haven't won a title in 4 years. Bluecoats also have an amazing show this year, and possibly could have a slight chance for the upset over Blue Devils, although I would predict them probably to end up 3rd.

I personally don't see Cadets any higher than 4th at this point, although they do have a tendency to come on strong at the end of the season.

Dirtier shows than Spartacus have won.

Four Corners, to name an example.

PR had a special performance of a great vehicle, that night. BD (who was the frontrunner, not the Cavs) had a great performance, but a not-as-compelling vehicle. A much less compelling vehicle than this year, IMO. This isn't like 1996, where both shows were great but for VERY different reasons.

Edited by saxfreq1128

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to define destiny retroactively, as all the things that didn't end up happening end up being forgotten and the few that did happen become legendary. 2008 was an incredible finish and one that will be remembered for decades. But if that stuff happened every year, it would cease to mean as much, so I'm OK with it not happening every year.

Nah, I think you're wrong. Anyone who was around that summer saw destiny happening before our very eyes leading up to finals. It would be great to be able to get a snapshot of all the threads and posts from that year related to PR.

As for me, I would be happy to see it every year. In fact, I would be happy to see 23 shows each year that grab me by my emotions in some way or another. I think it could happen more frequently than it does if the fan factor was more important that the judge factor.

I actually don't think the fans had much, if anything, to do with the win. Phantom won because the total of all their scores added up to more than that for the Blue Devils. No one judge knew what the others were giving them or what the result would be. If the judges really felt compelled to throw a victory their way, the result would have been more decisive as they had no way of knowing whatever relative improvements they scored Phantom with would be enough to do it.

For that matter, although I remember most everybody liking the show and a lot of people rooting for them to win, I don't remember much in the way of demands or even expectations they would win. I daresay the majority of us pulling for them were surprised when it actually happened. It's just one of those rare times where the heavy favorite (at least from an entertainment perspective) ended up winning.

It's easy to define destiny retroactively, as all the things that didn't end up happening end up being forgotten and the few that did happen become legendary. 2008 was an incredible finish and one that will be remembered for decades. But if that stuff happened every year, it would cease to mean as much, so I'm OK with it not happening every year.

I remember after scores were announced on semifinals. I told the people in my group, Phantom is going to win tomorrow. DCI judging is so predictable. After watching the show on finals night, I told everyone Phantom had won before the scores were announced. No one believed me, as Blue Devils and Cavaliers had better performed shows.

And if you look at the total of their scores, the whole thing is extremely suspicious. Colorguard score was nowhere near justified. GE score nowhere near justified. And the Blue Devils percussion score being so low was another really weird occurance that night. If any of these captions had been judged correctly, do you honestly believe Phantom Regiment would have won??? Politics gave Phantom an early Christmas present in 2008.

I dont know how you can say phantom's GE score was nowhere near justified that year. That show had more effect than any show ive ever been at.

I dont know how you can say phantom's GE score was nowhere near justified that year. That show had more effect than any show ive ever been at.

Blue Devils and Cavaliers both had more visual GE in their show. It was also better performed from a technical standpoint. Phantom shouldn't have even been within a point of Cavaliers in visual GE.

Nah, I think you're wrong. Anyone who was around that summer saw destiny happening before our very eyes leading up to finals. It would be great to be able to get a snapshot of all the threads and posts from that year related to PR.

As for me, I would be happy to see it every year. In fact, I would be happy to see 23 shows each year that grab me by my emotions in some way or another. I think it could happen more frequently than it does if the fan factor was more important that the judge factor.

Well I can't really argue with belief in destiny since it's unprovable by definition. Faith is a powerful thing. :ph34r:

It should be easy to go back and get people's predictions from last year, but as a preemptive CYA let me just say people sometimes "predict" their hopes rather than their expectations.

I wasn't saying I don't want entertaining shows every year, just that they don't always have to win. I would be happy to see that too, but all 23 of them can't come in first place, and I don't want to get so caught up in their placement that it distracts from my enjoyment of the show.

But I defer to your wisdom. What kind of jerk would I be to argue with a Granny of any name. :lookaround:

Blue Devils and Cavaliers both had more visual GE in their show. It was also better performed from a technical standpoint. Phantom shouldn't have even been within a point of Cavaliers in visual GE.

The Cavaliers shows always have great visuals...but that "Samurai" show was sterile!

I would prefer that the best and most technically superior corps wins, rather than the one with the most pitchforks and torches.

I would prefer the most entertaining corps to win...technically superior shows that are sterile (imho) that win cause others to follow in their footsteps, and that's bad for business...