Pitchforks and Torches

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

I know BD is getting grief on the forums from some quarters, but this is a little bit of hyperbole, I think.

Mike

Not at all. If you reject the fact that that goes on, you are not honestly evaluating "the crowd" with respect to their angst over a consistent winner (any winner) hogging the podium. I'm careful to couple that with the great performance of PR (and I thought I did in my post) but it was palpable. "Anyone but BD again" is in a lot of minds on DCP and in some venues. That's fine, but denying it is folly.

"Anyone but BD again" is in a lot of minds on DCP and in some venues. That's fine, but denying it is folly.

I wonder why?

Couple that with the standard mid west anyone but BD fervor and you have 08.

Surely you can't speak for the entire midwest? Please, don't take your personal experiences and perceptions and generalize them.

I've seen western corps be crowd favorites in the east, midwestern corps bring down the house in the South, and so on. Attended finals in 08 with a group of southerners, and am one myself, and we all preferred Phantom to Crown. Regionalism exists, but it is far less important in determining audience reaction than the appeal of the show.

Surely you can't speak for the entire midwest? Please, don't take your personal experiences and perceptions and generalize them.

I've seen western corps be crowd favorites in the east, midwestern corps bring down the house in the South, and so on. Attended finals in 08 with a group of southerners, and am one myself, and we all preferred Phantom to Crown. Regionalism exists, but it is far less important in determining audience reaction than the appeal of the show.

Did those western corps wear blue uniforms and win a bunch of titles?? The point is about winning and frustration with a consistent winner.. that's all. This isn't news..is it??

I'm not being snarkey just bringing up a point that every BD fan is well aware of...these are not personal experiences....and I'm not #####ing...the MM's know the deal and they know it comes with the territory.

Did those western corps wear blue uniforms and win a bunch of titles?? The point is about winning and frustration with a consistent winner.. that's all. This isn't news..is it??

I'm not being snarkey just bringing up a point that every BD fan is well aware of...these are not personal experiences....and I'm not #####ing...the MM's know the deal and they know it comes with the territory.

Yes, but I'll admit it's been a little while since that happened.

My point is that while you and a few others constantly harangue posters who dare to say that "the crowd" likes BD's shows a little less than some others (which isn't news . . . is it?) you do the exact same thing and claim that the audience in certain places are motivated by some primitive combination of regionalism and jealousy to spew hatred towards BD and shower love and affection on others.

Now, it would be silly to say that location and BD's success don't have some impact on audiences. It is likewise silly to maintain that show appeal does not also have an effect. I understand the point you're trying to make about speaking for the crowd, but you've erected an irritating double standard by which you judge posts relating to BD and its relationship with the audience.

Now, I'm disagreeing with you, and I realize I've done that more than a few times. I really do enjoy most of your posts . . . I just think you've pushed things too far in regards to the debate over "the crowd".

I remember after scores were announced on semifinals. I told the people in my group, Phantom is going to win tomorrow. DCI judging is so predictable. After watching the show on finals night, I told everyone Phantom had won before the scores were announced. No one believed me, as Blue Devils and Cavaliers had better performed shows.

And if you look at the total of their scores, the whole thing is extremely suspicious. Colorguard score was nowhere near justified. GE score nowhere near justified. And the Blue Devils percussion score being so low was another really weird occurance that night. If any of these captions had been judged correctly, do you honestly believe Phantom Regiment would have won??? Politics gave Phantom an early Christmas present in 2008.

Well, I would agree that the Cavaliers were squeaky clean that night.