Why the top four challengers shouldn't win

Since we've heard so much about why (in great detail) the Blue Devils "deserve" to lose, and/or why some other corps will righteously take the title away from them (remember 08! and so on), I'll just go ahead and bluntly say why I think that NONE of these groups deserves the title over BD this year.

Cadets are too CHEESY. Have been for years, save perhaps for last year (overbearing pit notwithstanding). But basically they used to be much more deep and thus deserving imho.

Bluecoats, well, now that I think of it I'll have to give them a pass. They're cool. If they win, I'm okay with it (I don't think they will).

Cavies are bland and repetitive, you could impose one years' music on another years' drill and it would be pretty much the same thing. In other words, consistently BORING imho.

Crown is a COPY-CAT with nothing new to offer, that's what happens when you hire staff from the past. In their case, staff from the past, hired from the past. So they're a shadow of a shadow. Something like Garfield, something like Star, nothing new or different imho.

So that's why I think Blue Devils (or, as it occurs to me just when I wrote this, Bluecoats lol) DESERVE the title as an original, innovative, and amazing corps.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect your opinion.

Wow, that wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, being on the opposing side of on opinion. I thought for sure I'd have to tear the poster down and dismiss his opinion as uninformed rantings or call him a hater or something. Somehow, I was able to let him have his opinion and move on! There's hope yet on DCP!

Edited by jaylogan

Since we've heard so much about why (in great detail) the Blue Devils "deserve" to lose, and/or why some other corps will righteously take the title away from them (remember 08! and so on), I'll just go ahead and bluntly say why I think that NONE of these groups deserves the title over BD this year.

Cadets are too CHEESY. Have been for years, save perhaps for last year (overbearing pit notwithstanding). But basically they used to be much more deep and thus deserving imho.

Bluecoats, well, now that I think of it I'll have to give them a pass. They're cool. If they win, I'm okay with it (I don't think they will).

Cavies are bland and repetitive, you could impose one years' music on another years' drill and it would be pretty much the same thing. In other words, consistently BORING imho.

Crown is a COPY-CAT with nothing new to offer, that's what happens when you hire staff from the past. In their case, staff from the past, hired from the past. So they're a shadow of a shadow. Something like Garfield, something like Star, nothing new or different imho.

So that's why I think Blue Devils (or, as it occurs to me just when I wrote this, Bluecoats lol) DESERVE the title as an original, innovative, and amazing corps.

Good morning. This should be entertaining when it gets going. :lookaround:

I can see that you're, perhaps, reacting to harsh language AGAINST your corps that's all too prevalent here on DCP. But you're doing just what you probably hate seeing other people do: you're bashing.

Cheesy - well...cheese is in the eye of the beholder. I was in Massillon on Tuesday. After the "My .02 Cents worth" thread and the 'Jeffrey=Jar Jar" post (which had me absolutely rolling on the floor...), I was ready to roll my eyes all the way through the Cadets show. But guess what? I LOVED it. Jeffrey annoyed me for...oh, 30 seconds...and then he won me over. And I'm a pretty big drum corps cynic. It also helped - hugely - that (in my opinion, of course), Cadets had the best show of the night. I don't care much about a frack here and dirty paradiddle there...I enjoy flow and expertly arranged and designed shows. Cadets do that - and do it VERY VERY well. Entertainment is NOT a dirty (or 'weak') word.

I will agree with you: the most innovative program out there is BD. But it really is like a drum corps version of Schoenberg. Fans of that Viennese master (yes...there are some...) argue that no composer before was as innovative and revolutionary as Schoenberg. But guess what: orchestra fans don't give a crap. They hate his stuff and often will walk out (or simply not go...) when his music is programmed. They don't boo...they just leave.

What you wrote about Cavies...I believe I've read almost the same criticism of BD....hmmmm...

Your Crown staffing criticism...well..."Pot? Meet Kettle...Kettle?...Meet Pot"

I've seen bits of BD on the site that shall not be named. I can see...and hear...why they're winning and probably will go undefeated. But I don't care for it. And I need no more justification than that. If I were going next week - I'd watch and listen to BD in each of the 3 shows. I would not go hot dogging. I'd want to try and figure out what makes them continue to win - mostly in hopes that I might 'get it'. If I would get it...GREAT! If not - I've spent nothing but time I'd already invested in being at the oil can.

What you wrote about Cavies...I believe I've read almost the same criticism of BD....hmmmm...

Really?

I've been around for quite some time (yeah, I'm OLD lol), and I've seen the Blue Devils re-invent themselves on a macro scale at least twice, and on a micro level many times...

The Cavies have ALWAYS been the Cavies for as long as I've been around (they're just better at doing the same old thing imho).

Can you really compare the championship BD show of 86 with the 94 version? Or those to 09?

To me, they're worlds apart (and now this current show is a complete departure from ANYTHING that came before it, another macro shift and nothing like the year before or ANY other year aside from some fleeting references here and there).

Edited by WestCoaster

cool_story_bro.jpg

Well...this is an opinion board - so yours is equally valid as everyone else's.

I TOTALLY agree that BD's design is the most unique thing on the field this year, and not at all like anything they've ever done before. That said...I'll stand by EXACTLY what I wrote about your comment about Cavies -

So, in short, the answer to 'Really' is....yes -

Well...this is an opinion board - so yours is equally valid as everyone else's.

I TOTALLY agree that BD's design is the most unique thing on the field this year, and not at all like anything they've ever done before. That said...I'll stand by EXACTLY what I wrote about your comment about Cavies -

So, in short, the answer to 'Really' is....yes -

But you didn't reply to what I wrote.

Have the Cavies ever really reinvented themselves?

To me, it's the same old bore year after year.

Devs have come out with all new stuff from time to time (sometimes strikingly new, moreso than any other championship level corps really, save for Star back in their day). Do you disagree with that?

Cavies 92 = Cavies 2004?

Same old bore.

2002 was incredible, don't get me wrong. But it was just maxed out Cavies and nothing more.

As far as your "92" marker, they were the same LONG before they titled with it. I remember 87 and 88 clearly, and it was very much the same product back then too...probably earlier still, but before then they were so bad nobody cared.