Dry mouth during shows

Bossop

I was wondering if anyone out there suffers from the same problem I get while performing on the field- dry mouth. It seems that during field shows, where the brass plays one song after another, my mouth gets so dry, it's like trying to play when your mouth is full of saltines. We are an exhibition alumni corps and do a limited drill, and it happens both while moving and while parking and blowing. I can't play at all at these times when it happens. I always thought that it was because my adreneline is pumping, and this dries me out, but I've found out that my hypertension medicine (I take six different things now that I've had 4 cardiac stents- I'm 65 years old) can have the side effect of creating dry mouth.

Does anyone bring water onto the field with them? What is the least distractive way of accessing water? Should I just give it up and join the honor guard? It really bothers me to not be able to play my best during the important shows. It doesn't seem to happen during parades because we have a break in between songs where I can rejuice up.

I'd be real interested in hearing if others suffer from the same thing.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if anyone out there suffers from the same problem I get while performing on the field- dry mouth. It seems that during field shows, where the brass plays one song after another, my mouth gets so dry, it's like trying to play when your mouth is full of saltines. We are an exhibition alumni corps and do a limited drill, and it happens both while moving and while parking and blowing. I can't play at all at these times when it happens. I always thought that it was because my adreneline is pumping, and this dries me out, but I've found out that my hypertension medicine (I take six different things now that I've had 4 cardiac stents- I'm 65 years old) can have the side effect of creating dry mouth.

Does anyone bring water onto the field with them? What is the least distractive way of accessing water? Should I just give it up and join the honor guard? It really bothers me to not be able to play my best during the important shows. It doesn't seem to happen during parades because we have a break in between songs where I can rejuice up.

I'd be real interested in hearing if others suffer from the same thing.

I'm not a physician by any stretch of the imagination, but it sounds like it may be an hydration issue. Rule of thumb? Dehydration comes before thirst.

I'm not a physician by any stretch of the imagination, but it sounds like it may be an hydration issue. Rule of thumb? Dehydration comes before thirst.

Hydrate for sure. Assuming you've done that, a quick last second fix entails raking your tongue back and forth across the bottom of your top front teeth. It will create an involuntary response in your saliva glands.

Whatever happened to the pre-show lemons/lemon juice that every hornline HAD to have in the mid-80s?

Whatever happened to the pre-show lemons/lemon juice that every hornline HAD to have in the mid-80s?

I had an iced tea before getting ready for the show and was hydrated. As we marched onto the field, I had a lemon slice. (I brought them for the whole corps) Still, by the third song, my mouth was like the Sahara. I don't think it was just nerves, because it happened late in the show in songs that I was fully confident in playing. I've got to think my medication is the culprit.

I had an iced tea before getting ready for the show and was hydrated. As we marched onto the field, I had a lemon slice. (I brought them for the whole corps) Still, by the third song, my mouth was like the Sahara. I don't think it was just nerves, because it happened late in the show in songs that I was fully confident in playing. I've got to think my medication is the culprit.

Hate to be the guy with the bad news, but it's nerves.

The "Fight or Flight" mechanism kicks in.

Relax. Breathe. Visualize. Think of something that doesn't make you want to "Fight or Flee."

I used to get it bad playing high school football, but once I got into "The Fight" it went away.

I used to get it bad competing in drum corps, but it went away after the first roar of the crowd.

BUT once I started volunteering to play Taps, I never get nervous, because the performance is so much more important than just me.

(Note: can't comment on your medication... but I'm sure that has some effect)

I just do what everyone says not to do...chew gum! I find the Extra Winterfresh will make my mouth water no matter what the conditions.

You could try a camelback for in-show hydration if that doesn't work for you.

Hate to be the guy with the bad news, but it's nerves.

The "Fight or Flight" mechanism kicks in.

Agree....on the way to the stadium for SoCal Dream's very first gig (02 Impulse Family Day, IIRC), we're going by the back side of the stadium en route to the gate when VK sop legend John McCoy starts getting dry mouth from nerves. It hit most us to a point...I THINK he found some water before we went through the gate....and none of us were ever that nervous again.

The payoff was when we were cranking "El Gato Triste" and I could see Impulse members counting how many brass we had (18) and being floored at the amount of sound we put out!

One technique you can try is to pull your tongue back in your mouth, which spreads it out, and then bite down on it with your back teeth. That should provide a release of saliva. That's what I taught back in the 1970's before corps could afford lemonade.