Dry mouth during shows

Bossop

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an iced tea before getting ready for the show and was hydrated. As we marched onto the field, I had a lemon slice. (I brought them for the whole corps) Still, by the third song, my mouth was like the Sahara. I don't think it was just nerves, because it happened late in the show in songs that I was fully confident in playing. I've got to think my medication is the culprit.

ice tea contains caffeine which actually dehydrates you.. sugar can do the same..... water or gatorade would be best

all good ideas.

Bossop, yes some heart meds will dehydrate - reducing the workload on the pump by lowering the amount of water in the 'pool'. Your age has a lot to do with it too. Double whammy you have to deal on top of the usual performance nerves.

You may talk with your doctor, but one thing you can try is Biotene, I do believe it is over the counter. comes in a spray, mouthwash, liquid, and even toothpaste.

A doctor told me to start hydrating at least a week before the event. This gives the entire body a chance to hydrate. He also gave me some toothpaste to use that is made just for the dry mouth problem. Again as with the water you have to use the paste for a period of time.

A fellow Kiltie,Bill Symye(sp) had cancer and could not produce saliva. He rigged a small bottle for water,to his horn right next to his mouth piece. This way he could get a drink when ever he needed it.

And if any of this is not possible,just have your corps build some giant backdrops to hide the hornline and water jugs during the drum solo. HEH :thumbup:

I know a bunch of guys that use gum, and swear by it. Personally, I can't do it.

Its probably the quickest/cheapest solution to test out. Try it at a rehearsal or two, it might work for you.

I know a bunch of guys that use gum, and swear by it. Personally, I can't do it.

Its probably the quickest/cheapest solution to test out. Try it at a rehearsal or two, it might work for you.

Back in the day I used to chew GatorGum.... a sour gum made by the Gatorade folks... before shows, and it worked for me. I don't know if the stuff is still made or not.

When I do PA announcing at shows, I use the same concept... I try to use some sort of sour candy like Gummi Bears or Jolly Ranchers... so I don't have to drink a lot of water and run to the bathroom after every third corps. :sad:

Probably nerves. Could also be medication. Could also be the week leading up to the performance. Or even the night before. Stay away from caffeine or alcohol and 60% or so of your hydration issues should go away. Sometimes you can trick yourself to create saliva, by thinking of food or doing mouth tricks. Lemons, gum, ice before hitting the field also do the trick. None of which last and most of which run the risk of distracting you from your performance.

There is a cure all though. Switch to a bigger horn with a larger mouthpiece. Still works just fine, even dry. And you don't have all of that black note articulation stuff to worry about. Most of the time.

I was told to bite the sides of my cheeks but the saliva I got was dehydrated and gooey.