Spin Cycle - Revealed!

Just some observations from the Cavaliers pre-tour. I have the advantage of living close to the corps practice zones and have been able to attend 6 rehearsals, including the full dress rehearsal in Oswego last night. I have been watching drum corps for 30 years and for the last 9 years have been watching the Cavs pre-tour. I should also mention that I am an alumni and I am pretty biased….. Now, down to details.

First, the numbers, the corps is marching 64 horns – 20 trumpets, 12 mellos, 20 baritones and 12 tubas. The drumline consists of 10 snares, 5 toms, 5 bass drum, and 9 in the pit. The guard (forgive me, I forgot to count) is marching in the high 30’s to 40? Leading the corps are two field conductors.

This is an incredibly mature, hard-working corps. I was amazed at the 2002 edition during pre-tour and the 2003 group is just as good (if not a wee bit better). I’m a horn player, so I know a lot more about the hornline than the other sections. The hornline has the same wonderful sound and control that won the brass title last year. While everyone recognizes names like Michael Gaines and Dick Saucedo, the last few years, the hornline has flourished under David Bertman’s direction. I must confess, the first year he came to the corps, I wasn’t too sure about this guy…. constantly yelling about the gross sounds the hornline was producing and stopping them every two measures to make them do it over – only nicer. Then I began to hear the difference it made. Each year the hornline seems to get better. Now I am a true believer (bows in awe). I can’t believe what the guys are playing – especially in light of the fact that most of the time they are doing impossible drill moves.

The drum line is large and, in my limited knowledge, seems to be playing quite well. I’m told the battery started practicing a week before camp officially began and it shows. They are playing some great stuff and I really have to take back all the nasty things I say about drummers not being able to march – these guys can! The pit – what can I say. These guys sound great (no amplification needed here!) I do have this sneaking suspicion, though, that pit players are cryogenically hatched in secret labs somewhere.

The guard has usually been off working on their own when I come to watch ensemble. From what I saw at Oswego, though, they are very talented and will have some eye-popping moves again this year (as well as their eye-popping uniforms – more on that later). They use a full range of weapons (rifle, saber, flags) and use dance to complement the show. A very physical bunch.

The show itself is a marvel. This winter, I wondered what the corps would do to top "Frameworks”. Now I know! The jokes about “Spin Cycle” might not be as far out as you think…. This show is by far the most difficult drum corps show I have seen in 30 years. The drill has over 200 charts and the majority of the show is over 180 bpm. In my opinion, the demands on the players, both playing and marching, far exceed last year’s edition. There is no doubt in my mind that, if performed well, this show will max out the score sheets.

The show is divided into four movements – I know, the show description says it is three movements. Perhaps the last movement is still part of the third movement – “Terminal Velocity” The opener is an action packed extended fanfare with 60 charts that moves along at 180+ bpm. Some highlights include the opening, which starts out as as a full-corps + sign on the fifty. All the horns are backfield and the trumpets start circling in clockwise and counter-clockwise movement while playing a statement and answer on two and four note motifs. The motifs build from voice to voice as more and more of the corps is orbiting. Finally, they rush into a large rectangle and turn around for the first hit. A very exciting opening! Many other great moves too.

The second movement is a ballad, but it still features an awful lot of double-time movement and flashy drill moves in the 53 charts. Highlights include a beautiful rotating diamond that turns into an extended form that the color guard moves through and a great fugal section with the different voices moving through intersecting circles. The corps moves into a block at the end – which leads to…

The third movement “Terminal Velocity” – which is my favorite. It really flies at 190+ bpm. About 55 charts. The opening is too cool. I don’t want to ruin it for you, so lets just say it is the equivalent of the “fight club” sequence from last year. Think “spin”….. There are so many great moves in this section, I can’t describe them all. The drum solo drill is out of this world! The piece ends, very uncharacteristically for the Cavies, on a high note from the trumpets.

The fourth movement’s drill (or the second part of the third movement) was not finished on Wednesday. The part we saw features an extended accellerando with the corps swirling and packing together in the middle of the fifty. The music actually features some trumpet “screeching”!? Very interesting! There is still some drill to learn, but Jeff said that they would finish up the drill on Thursday and will be ready for Oswego.

The music is an original score by Dick Saucedo. It features repeated motifs, statements and answers, fugal elements, and many cascading phrases. There are elements of fanfare, thick melodic elements, some jazz/funk parts, and lots of movement. The music really interacts with and propels the movement of the drill. I like it. Some elements are repeated enough to give you a familiarity that carries through the show. Those of you that didn’t like the original music from the last two years probably won’t like it again this year. Writing in this fashion, though, gives the music and drill a cohesiveness that most other shows are lacking. This point was driven home when I watched Phantom Regiments dress rehearsal last Saturday and felt the show was “old fashioned” compared to the continuity of the Cavaliers show. While I liked the musical aspect, I felt the drill and music did not “mesh”. It’s as if the drill was written around the constraints of the musical score. In any case, the Cavaliers approach to show design continues to produce very interesting shows.

As I promised, the guard uniform is very different…to say the least. They are “cyclist” outfits – that right - Lycra-type bicycle outfits! They are yellow/lime green in the front with the script word “Cycle”. The sleeves are a slightly darker green. The back is a darker green with racing numbers on the back. They also wear black elbow pads and knee pads as well as black socks and shoes. The effect is, well…dramatic! The contrasting front and back colors are used to create some great effects with the music – the integration is that deep.

The only downside is that the show is so difficult that the corps has come down to the wire on finishing the show. The first two movements are in very good shape. The third movement is still a little sloppy, and they are just finishing the last movement. This may effect them for the first week or so, but the guys are very quick learners and the show will soon be in very good shape. The only two questions in my mind are can they physically maintain the intensity throughout the show and can this show be cleaned to the level of last years show? I’m betting they can. This instructional staff is incredible. The corps rehearsals run like well a well-oiled machine (pun intended). If they can perform this show to its potential, they will definitely be in the hunt for another DCI title.

Rich Gortowski

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt the drill and music did not ?mesh?.  It?s as if the drill was written around the constraints of the musical score.
Which is how it should be!!!! Music first....drill second!!! Which is why Cavies have bored me to death since 2001. Edited by gumby5647

Rich, AWESOME review. I think I'm going to surprise my boys tomorrow night and go to the Oswego show. I think I'm going to take one of my roomies and show him what I've been helping out for the last 2 weeks and where I'll be for the rest of the summer.

If some people believe they are bored with a Cavie's show, I don't know what would excite them. However, each person has their likes and dislikes.

Again, thank you for the great review.

Yes. Awesome review. I dont think it was biased at all. I trust someone with 30 yrs under their belt. I really am getting into their 2002 show. The music is wonderful, lots of imagery in the music, which is why I think it lends itself to the visual package so well. I cant wait to see them late in July till finals. I'll be on tour (hopefully) with Southwind and get a glimpse of our other brothers from Rosemont.

Oops I forgot....

12 mello's ?????

Come on...surely one could sacrifice some guard members :P (say four or so) for a 16 strong mello section.

Thats my only complaint so far.

Oh yeah, Sluggo, maybe I'll see you on tour.

Later

Sly...do you have vacation coming up to do that?

I have about 16 days (right now) of accrued leave. By, July I should have around 20 days. I am pretty sure I am going to leave from Cali and fly to Indy, and stay on for the rest of tour helping with the Southwind souvies. There are enough people in our Comm shop to do that, so it works out for me.

Airpower!!!

AWESOME! GOOD LUCK!

I felt the drill and music did not ?mesh?.  It?s as if the drill was written around the constraints of the musical score.
Which is how it should be!!!! Music first....drill second!!! Which is why Cavies have bored me to death since 2001.

I agree also....