Woodstock, GA 8/7/2010

Corps: Shenandoah Sound

Show: South Pacific

Score: 60.163

Much better corps this year than what I've seen in the past. This year's show takes you back to the days of WWII with their selection of popular swing music. Their numbers are still small, but the show seemed pretty well written for who they have. Brass line seemed fairly confident in the music, but not as confident in the drill as I did notice a few minor collisions. Percussion was ok, but I could see some timidness within the bass line and front ensemble sections. The only thing I thought was a little strange was the use of two drum majors. Seeing them both trade off after each song almost seemed to cause a few issues and looked slightly odd, but that’s my humble opinion. Overall the show was decent, and with a little more work, should improve by finals.

Corps: Sun Devils

Show: A Night at the Globe

Score: 72.850

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised this year by the Sun Devils. Their show takes you on a Shakespeare inspired emotional roller coaster, but leaves you with a smile on your face. These guys are much improved since last year…especially the brass section. Percussion was a bit weak, but I understand that they’ve had some major issues with the battery this year. I thought the front ensemble was decent, but the keyboard players could use a little boost in confidence so that their sound projects. The visual package was pretty good for their size. One thing I really liked was the body movements that they execute during some of their park n’ blow sections. The color guard is much better this year as well, and they compliment the music nicely. Overall this is a pretty good show. The crowd really seemed to like it as well. Their only downfall is the battery, but with appropriate instruction, it can come together.

Corps: CorpsVets

Show: 360

Score: 80.40

This is by far the best CorpsVets show I’ve seen. This year’s show features the music of Disney’s Millennium Celebration, and packs a serious punch. Most of the show is very fast and high energy, so I really appreciated the demand. Brass line was strong as usual, but what really surprised me was how good the battery and guard were. Visual package is nice, but needs a bit of cleaning. They also seemed to have some timing issues during the middle of the show, but recovered fairly well. Overall this is really a great show from start to finish. Once they clean the visual book, fix the timing issues, and get their front ensemble up to speed, I have no doubt that they’ll place well at finals.

Corps: Alliance

Show: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Score: 80.975

Alliance is quite impressive this year in numbers…especially in their battery. Their show this year is inspired by the story written by Earnest Hemmingway, and has some real nice moments. Brass is very loud…so loud that it nearly drowns out their battery and front ensemble. Battery was decent. I was slightly disappointed because they look good, but I thought they didn’t play very well while on the move. The guard looked nice, and their colors really complimented the show. Visually they still have some work to do, as well as working some minor timing issues in a few parts of the show. Overall this is a good show. It doesn’t quite have the impact as their show from last year, but it should place them nicely at finals.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much Doctor! As always, I appreciate your comments. Your review was unbiased and well written. I fully expect another review from you in 2 weeks.

Great seeing you again!

Thank you very much Doctor! As always, I appreciate your comments. Your review was unbiased and well written. I fully expect another review from you in 2 weeks.

Great seeing you again!

Not a problem, Doctor! It was great seeing you again as well. 2 weeks might be a little tough. The wife and I are going on vacation, so I'll me missing the show. When are we doing lunch?

"Much better corps this year than what I've seen in the past. This year's show takes you back to the days of WWII with their selection of popular swing music. Their numbers are still small, but the show seemed pretty well written for who they have. Brass line seemed fairly confident in the music, but not as confident in the drill as I did notice a few minor collisions. Percussion was ok, but I could see some timidness within the bass line and front ensemble sections."

Super review! :thumbup:

"The only thing I thought was a little strange was the use of two drum majors. Seeing them both trade off after each song almost seemed to cause a few issues and looked slightly odd, but that’s my humble opinion. Overall the show was decent, and with a little more work, should improve by finals."

Simple explination is that the male drum major played several baritone solos for which he had to step down off the podium to play!

Thanks again for the review, you were spot on!

"Much better corps this year than what I've seen in the past. This year's show takes you back to the days of WWII with their selection of popular swing music. Their numbers are still small, but the show seemed pretty well written for who they have. Brass line seemed fairly confident in the music, but not as confident in the drill as I did notice a few minor collisions. Percussion was ok, but I could see some timidness within the bass line and front ensemble sections."

Super review! :thumbup:

"The only thing I thought was a little strange was the use of two drum majors. Seeing them both trade off after each song almost seemed to cause a few issues and looked slightly odd, but that’s my humble opinion. Overall the show was decent, and with a little more work, should improve by finals."

Simple explination is that the male drum major played several baritone solos for which he had to step down off the podium to play!

Thanks again for the review, you were spot on!

Fair enough. Good solos by the way.

Woodstock, GA 8/7/2010

Much better corps this year than what I've seen in the past. This year's show takes you back to the days of WWII with their selection of popular swing music. Their numbers are still small, but the show seemed pretty well written for who they have. Brass line seemed fairly confident in the music, but not as confident in the drill as I did notice a few minor collisions. Percussion was ok, but I could see some timidness within the bass line and front ensemble sections. The only thing I thought was a little strange was the use of two drum majors. Seeing them both trade off after each song almost seemed to cause a few issues and looked slightly odd, but that’s my humble opinion. Overall the show was decent, and with a little more work, should improve by finals.

Corps: Sun Devils

Show: A Night at the Globe

Score: 72.850

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised this year by the Sun Devils. Their show takes you on a Shakespeare inspired emotional roller coaster, but leaves you with a smile on your face. These guys are much improved since last year…especially the brass section. Percussion was a bit weak, but I understand that they’ve had some major issues with the battery this year. I thought the front ensemble was decent, but the keyboard players could use a little boost in confidence so that their sound projects. The visual package was pretty good for their size. One thing I really liked was the body movements that they execute during some of their park n’ blow sections. The color guard is much better this year as well, and they compliment the music nicely. Overall this is a pretty good show. The crowd really seemed to like it as well. Their only downfall is the battery, but with appropriate instruction, it can come together.

Corps: CorpsVets

Show: 360

Score: 80.40

This is by far the best CorpsVets show I’ve seen. This year’s show features the music of Disney’s Millennium Celebration, and packs a serious punch. Most of the show is very fast and high energy, so I really appreciated the demand. Brass line was strong as usual, but what really surprised me was how good the battery and guard were. Visual package is nice, but needs a bit of cleaning. They also seemed to have some timing issues during the middle of the show, but recovered fairly well. Overall this is really a great show from start to finish. Once they clean the visual book, fix the timing issues, and get their front ensemble up to speed, I have no doubt that they’ll place well at finals.

Corps: Alliance

Show: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Score: 80.975

Alliance is quite impressive this year in numbers…especially in their battery. Their show this year is inspired by the story written by Earnest Hemmingway, and has some real nice moments. Brass is very loud…so loud that it nearly drowns out their battery and front ensemble. Battery was decent. I was slightly disappointed because they look good, but I thought they didn’t play very well while on the move. The guard looked nice, and their colors really complimented the show. Visually they still have some work to do, as well as working some minor timing issues in a few parts of the show. Overall this is a good show. It doesn’t quite have the impact as their show from last year, but it should place them nicely at finals.

Nice review. I did not see the show but watched the Dome show on FN. My observations echo your review for the most part.

I look forward to seeing all the corps at the CV home show in two weeks.

"Battery was decent. I was slightly disappointed because they look good, but I thought they didn’t play very well while on the move. "

I do not see this, seeing the recap and the points spread there is no way that this is possible

"Battery was decent. I was slightly disappointed because they look good, but I thought they didn’t play very well while on the move. "

I do not see this, seeing the recap and the points spread there is no way that this is possible

Maybe the reviewer and the judges have two differing opinions on what they saw that night. Might that be possible?