The Kids work hard, but I still don't like it.

and in my area, it was received...even by "dinos" as awesome.

See... I knew that term would catch on :thumbup:

That makes my point though. What is entertaining to one is not to others. There is stuff in corps today that appeals to all, people just need to stop complaining when their favorite doesn't win and try to imagine new rules to make that corps win. If some are too shallow that a key of an instrument or a microphone leads to their way out... bye.

My favorite show this season is not the Blue Devils but I also believe that the current spread with them at the top is 100% justified. While my favorite show is doing well (Bluecoats), to try to make rules happen so that a crowd favorite always wins is trying to please a small handful of fans that look to the results as the source of their happiness. Point of a judge is not to find the most entertaining, it is to find the best. If you want judges to that force their beliefs of entertainment onto scores... come to Alabama, we have many retired band directors that love to judge contest.

Edited by CloudHype

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite show this season is not the Blue Devils but I also believe that the current spread with them at the top is 100% justified. While my favorite show is doing well (Bluecoats), to try to make rules happen so that a crowd favorite always wins is trying to please a small handful of fans that look the results as the source of their happiness. Point of a judge is not to find the most entertaining, it is to find the best. If you want judges to that force their beliefs of entertainment onto scores... come to Alabama, we have many retired band directors that love to judge contest.

:thumbup: And many of them find their way to Georgia high school competitions. Their "my beliefs are law and I refuse to reward anything I wouldn't have done myself" mentalities are maddening. My BD learned quickly (she's only 26) to turn a deaf ear to judges that take issue with something because it doesn't fit their idea of the "ideal band sound."

People are always going to complain about who's in first no matter which corps it is! Yes, even Phantom Regiment! :thumbup:

Simply disagreeing with current drum corps styles doesn't make you a dinosaur. We all have different tastes and we all like what we like. If you post that you don't like current drum corps styles and do it with respect, I guarantee you'll find respect shown to you in return.

However, when you go to a forum dedicated to discussing current drum styles, a forum populated by fans of those styles, and post something bellicose like this:

then yes, you can expect to be called a dinosaur. I find it very telling that your first post began with you announcing that you expected to be flamed. You knew from the start that you were couching your opinion in terms that were going to antagonize. Forgive me if I don't indulge your sense of martyrdom.

You speak in absolutes. What makes you so certain that you alone know the true way of things? Is it because you had your opinion confirmed by the actions of the others who chose to leave early as you did? Many, many more stayed for the entire show. You were a paying customer, yes, but you you were one among hundreds or thousands, depending upon the show. This Saturday I will be one among many thousands attending World Class Finals. I've only seen a handful of shows, most will be new to me, but I already believe this is a much finer season than even 2009. My favorite shows are from the past 15 years, and I fully expect this year to continue the trend. I like what takes place on the field today - and if you want me to respect your opinion, you can start by respecting mine, and acknowledging that some customers find today's shows to be very entertaining indeed.

I'm not trying to be a "martyr". And I absolutely didn't like it. It was absolutely boring to me. You must like band. I never did. I couldn't care less if you respect me or not... why should I? I'm agreeing with a TON of people in the drum corps world that don't appreciate where DCI has taken Drum and Bugle Corps. Let's see, I saw some numbers... 300 or so to about 80 and finally 7. Enjoy your "golf claps".

Thank you for proving my point, every word of it.

Very well. If you see no need for my respect, then I have no need to show you any. Guys, I believe it's time to stop feeding this particular troll. Topic closed.