Who would you pay to see..

Whou would you choose >>  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pay to see if both were competing the same night ??

• Blue Devils
    • Madison Scouts

What makes you think that the others arent in favor or the new instruments? just because they are against the G7 proposal doesnt mean they are against new and different things coming in to Drum Corps or think Drum Corps needs to be changed

Ugh, I'm going to seem contentious again, Guardling (and we were do SO well for a bit!). On this subject I have real evidence.

Just before the G7 proposal in May (in fact, only about 2 weeks before) there was a hot and heavy discussion about adding woodwinds. At that time I wrote an email to each WC director - all 23 of them - voicing my opinion that woodwinds would be wrong for the activity. I got a total of 19 responses and all but one (SCV) emphatically said that they were not in favor of woodwinds. Several then went on to say that (paraphrasing) "...if the big boys want them then I'm afraid they can't be stopped." (Sidebar: funny how the worm turns and the "big boys" are no longer in control of the decision-making!).

Still, I would say with emphasis that the majority of WC corps directors do NOT want woodwinds because they have told me so directly (and, yes, I'll take them at their word).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, I'm going to seem contentious again, Guardling (and we were do SO well for a bit!). On this subject I have real evidence.

Just before the G7 proposal in May (in fact, only about 2 weeks before) there was a hot and heavy discussion about adding woodwinds. At that time I wrote an email to each WC director - all 23 of them - voicing my opinion that woodwinds would be wrong for the activity. I got a total of 19 responses and all but one (SCV) emphatically said that they were not in favor of woodwinds. Several then went on to say that (paraphrasing) "...if the big boys want them then I'm afraid they can't be stopped." (Sidebar: funny how the worm turns and the "big boys" are no longer in control of the decision-making!).

Still, I would say with emphasis that the majority of WC corps directors do NOT want woodwinds because they have told me so directly (and, yes, I'll take them at their word).

Well done! 23-19=4 ... so which 4 corps did not respond?

My guess ... BD, Cadets, Cavies and Crown??

Edited by supersop

lol..here we are again my friend....lol.....i dont doubt you at all with what you say as far as a response. All I will say to that is why do you think you were answered honestly? Especially them knowing you may have been opposed. I know for sure ( personal friends , so I wont say who it wouldnt be fair )that 3 of the non G7 are very much for it. 2 WC and 1 open class. I wont speak for anyone else.

Maybe Im a little less trusting by my own nature but Ive learned people will say what others want to hear sometimes and like a few of the G7 directors I would rather see the rat right in front of me than lurking behind me.

lol..here we are again my friend....lol.....i dont doubt you at all with what you say as far as a response. All I will say to that is why do you think you were answered honestly? Especially them knowing you may have been opposed. I know for sure ( personal friends , so I wont say who it wouldnt be fair )that 3 of the non G7 are very much for it. 2 WC and 1 open class. I wont speak for anyone else.

Maybe Im a little less trusting by my own nature but Ive learned people will say what others want to hear sometimes and like a few of the G7 directors I would rather see the rat right in front of me than lurking behind me.

Ha! Yeah, I don't dispute that cynicism is warranted in life (my career enforces such a viewpoint). But Mom raised some ugly boys and taught us that "everyone gets the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise". Of course, being cynical about numbers is quite different that being cynical about people, and I don't claim to have not been disappointed over the years by some who had my trust. But I still believe that the number of corps directors who would intentionally lie (tell me what I want to hear) is small. After all, their actions would prove their lie and they'd lose a fan and my respect.

Even if 5 of them lied to me that's still 14 against, 5 for, and 4 uncommitted. With the leadership of DCI now in place I'm certain that the rule proposal allowing woodwinds would be shot down by the voting Board.

(So we kind-of agree, and kind-of don't. Does that count for 2 1/2? :tongue: )

Ha! Yeah, I don't dispute that cynicism is warranted in life (my career enforces such a viewpoint). But Mom raised some ugly boys and taught us that "everyone gets the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise". Of course, being cynical about numbers is quite different that being cynical about people, and I don't claim to have not been disappointed over the years by some who had my trust. But I still believe that the number of corps directors who would intentionally lie (tell me what I want to hear) is small. After all, their actions would prove their lie and they'd lose a fan and my respect.

Even if 5 of them lied to me that's still 14 against, 5 for, and 4 uncommitted. With the leadership of DCI now in place I'm certain that the rule proposal allowing woodwinds would be shot down by the voting Board.

(So we kind-of agree, and kind-of don't. Does that count for 2 1/2? :tongue: )

hmmmmm ok 2 1/2 :mat:

I love it when people just completely make #### up and state it as a fact

Completely made up? Did YOU look at the scoring breakdown? It has points for WIND instruments . Who made THAT up? NOT ME.

Edited by 84skyrydr

What makes you think that the others arent in favor or the new instruments? just because they are against the G7 proposal doesnt mean they are against new and different things coming in to Drum Corps or think Drum Corps needs to be changed

Maybe because they have repeatedly voted it down.

Actually, when the original G-7 proposal leaked the 'brass' caption had been replaced by a 'winds' caption.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/975367/Do%20Not%20...G7%20Report.pdf

Page 41. See for yourself... Why do you think that change was made?

SOOOOOOOO DBC03 who's making things up and stating them as fact?????? Apology accepted.

By your own admission, people say what they think you want to hear, except the three you talked to, right?