Blue Devils Hater No More

So you had a personal explanation of the meaning and symbolism of the show DIRECTLY FROM THE DESIGNERS which changed your mind after viewing, but you belittle those who don't understand it as haters or people who just aren't trying hard?

I call shenanigans on you! :thumbup:

No, I Loved it even before I talked to Scott and TJ. Sorry, you lose. Why am I even responding ??

G

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, even called out you're condescending. My only loss is reading your posts which now have no credibility. :thumbup:

No more time spent there.

This I Believe.

Wil you ever come to like the music of Brittany Spears ?

Maybe you just need a 2nd, or 3rd or 4th or 5th viewing to full appreciate it.

Might you like the music of Bittany Spears in the future ?

Is it possible ? ... or impossible ?

There is nothing wrong with the music of Brittney Spears..from a pure pop perspective its perfect ear candy. All music doesnt have to be sophisticated and intelectual. All voices dont have to break a glass. I, liking music, give all genres a try and certainly their respect.

Sad thing is, our cultire likes to follow these poeple and help make themlook worswe than they are by magifying their every move.....I wonder how many people thst post here ever went in to a treatment center for a disorder, but because they arent famous,we will never know..and shouldnt in the first place.

Same with music not being sung. I cant enjoy Scouts, BLuecoats, Blue Devils..et all because I am interested in the first place and open to any and all variations and types of music....Im curious of your age and what you actually find entertaining in the recorded music field.

G

Wow, even called out you're condescending. My only loss is reading your posts which now have no credibility. :thumbup:

No more time spent there.

no, you dont like that I have a different opinion than you. You can call me whatever you want, the world still turns, the sun still rises and I sitll like what I like. What was you goal anyway, for me to break and agree with what you think ???

G

...well, Mr. Brasso, I'm on of those BS'ers who absolutely disliked Star '93 (saw the show in person many times that year on tour, including from the box in Jackson) but now actually "like" it. You see, what you're doing is painting a black and white picture with no other tonality to it. With age and experience comes change...I won't get into what drove me to accept, and eventually "like" that show, but you have to consider the myriad of dynamics involved. Oh, the reason I put "like" in quotes is that, just like SCV this year, I think attempting that genre of music happens to be a disservice to the demographic you are trying to entertain, and from that, the kids. So, yeah, I still don't really "like/like" that show (heh), but I sure as hades APPRECIATE it! Ah, the gray areas of language, eh? So, maybe my point is, that I've come a long way from my original opinion of that show, to a point way on the other side of the continuum (with "hate" on one end and "love" on the other)...still well short of "love" but well within the "like" range.

cg

Ladies and Gentlemen... Mr. Charlie Groh... Contrabass extrordinaire! :thumbup:

That's interesting. How do you mean?

IMO, the possibilities with guard are more than any other section in the drum corps. They could be tossing whatever and since drum corps is so visual these days, I think it is just natural that this area would lend itself to the most striking changes. I think if Star would have stuck around, the guards today would look quite different. I think Star's 1993 guard book is the most unique I have ever seen. There! A Star 1993 reference. LOL

I've been a BD fan my entire life, but have to admit that for most of the past decade, I've usually been disappointed by their show design. This year is different. With the new King horns, the hornline sounds like the old lines I loved, only better. And it's probably the first time since the 70s when you could say that their show design is pushing the activity in a new direction.

Because of BD, I now wish I didn't have a DCA show to march this weekend, so that I could go to Indy. Will have to settle for the movie theater tomorrow night. I'm betting that the mirrors will be spectacular on the big screen.

Troy Schmidt

I do not see a new style or anything close to that occuring here. I see new gimmicks. But gimmicks alone do not send the acticity into a new direction. I think colorguard is where we are going to see the next major change.

As a visual judge for many years (DCI, DCA, WGI, and band associations and festivals, etc.), I believe the Blue Devils visual program is much more than mere gimmicks and certainly more thanm the sum of its parts. Their use of the triad- movement, body and equipment- in all sections far surpasses anything anyone else has done or is doing this season. And to me, what makes it "paradigm-shifting" is the way each section plays off one another and with the props used in the show. I'll leave it the music judges out there to say whether what they are doing musically is beyond what anyone else is doing but I think it is true that no one else is doing what BD is doing while on the move for as long as Blue Devils move.

Just my opinion, but I believe I am correct!!! :thumbup::thumbup::worthy: