Blue Devils and Channel One Suite

I went to Ben Davis HS to watch BD's rehearsal tonight.

After reading the background on this year's show, I must say that in the ballad (such as it is), I clearly heard the slow movement from Channel One Suite.

Of course, it wasn't played straight, it was distorted a bit (like the images in the mirrors). However, if you see it this weekend, think of the ballad section of Channel One Suite. Then, listen to BD's mid portion of their show. I heard rhythms and harmonies that were eerily similar to the slow mvt of Channel One (or more aptly put, a variation of it).

Has anyone else noticed this? Tonight was the first time I had seen them this season.

Think of it as a distorted reflection of Channel One Suite.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the background on this year's show, I must say that in the ballad (such as it is), I clearly heard the slow movement from Channel One Suite.

Of course, it wasn't played straight, it was distorted a bit (like the images in the mirrors). However, if you see it this weekend, think of the ballad section of Channel One Suite. Then, listen to BD's mid portion of their show. I heard rhythms and harmonies that were eerily similar to the slow mvt of Channel One (or more aptly put, a variation of it).

Has anyone else noticed this? Tonight was the first time I had seen them this season.

I hear what you mean. I too heard many little snippets from the middle of Channel One. It sort of sounds to me like there are two songs going on at the same time though, both in the same tempo. One is the middle section of Channel One.

Edited by DAvery

As someone who played Channel One with BD 1976 and 1977, you are absolutely correct. Much of it is quite close, but there are some stylized variations incorporated into the movement. No question whatsoever it is Channel One, just more freely interpreted.

Edited by BDCorno

As someone who played Channel One with BD 1976 and 1977, you are absolutely correct. Much of it is quite close, but there are some stylized variations incorporated into the movement. No question whatsoever it is Channel One, just more freely interpreted.

Sooooooooooooooo BD won't be on the DVD because they didn't get rights to perform Channel One Suite this year? :tongue:

Sooooooooooooooo BD won't be on the DVD because they didn't get rights to perform Channel One Suite this year? :tongue:

It's more than 5% different, so maybe they'll get away with it.

How do you know they did not get permission?

Buddy Rich never returned their call? :tongue:

I have also noticed the "ballad" part of Channel One Suite ...the chords are for the most part dead on. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this!!!

Would it not be listed in the program as part of their program? I would think that if DCI is producing DVD's and listing the show's with musical selections ... it would have to include ALL musical selections being used in whole or in part. Would they not? Otherwise, not only would BD have to have the rights, they would also have had to send out a synchronization application with DCI and the copyright holder for Channel One Suite.

If they did not, and it is later challenged by the copyright holder ........... a few things could/should happen.

1. BD would have to negotiate the rights and get the synchronization rights handled prior to release of the DVD's and CD's.

2. DCI would have to list Channel One Suite on all of their audio visual merchandise for BD and pay the rate per sold as agreed to by the copyright holder.

3. If no agreement is made ... The whole mid section of BD's show would have to be omitted on the DVD and CD's ... including every post on Fan Network.... and a potential lawsuit from the copyright holder could ensue.

4. If an agreement is made, DCI would have to pay retroactive on all APD and VOD sales of BD performances, which could be a reallllly big hassle in calculating.

End result, big chunk of show not on DVD or CD's.

I ...HOPE .. they covered all their bases and got rights. I'm just saying, if a few people are picking up on it, all it takes is the wrong person to make a phonecall and ............. well you get the picture.

Edited by supersop