DCI in the movie theatres

The cinema I went too ( Lowell Ma. ) to watch the quarterfinals was packed last night. There were a few hundred there. That said, I saw almost nobody under age 30 in the crowd. I went to diifferent movie theatres the last half dozen years and it's the same thing. The young are no shows. It doesn't matter if it's a live DCI competition like last night, or a pre season screening of last years performances, with clips of upcoming shows, or the Classics. It doesn't matter the format. They won't go. In pre season there were more ticket takers than ticket givers under the age of 22 in the theatre I went too.

This can't be good for DCI, if the younger crowd has no interest at all in watching live DCI Drum Corps in the movie theatres.

Thoughts ?

Edited by BRASSO

The cinema I went too ( Lowell Ma. ) to watch the quarterfinals was packed last night. There were a few hundred there. Tahat said, I saw almost nobody under age 30 in the crowd. I went to diifferent movie theatres the last half dozen years and it's the same thing. The young are no shows. It doesn't matter ifit's a live DCI competition like last night, or an pre season screening of last years performances, with clips of upcoming shows, or the Classics. It doesn't mater the format. They won't go. In pre season there were more ticket takers than ticket givers under the age of 22 in th theatre I went too.

This can't be good for DCI, if the younger crowd has no interest at all in watching live DCI Drum Corps in the movie theatres.

Thoughts ?

The theater I was in was almost 40/60 young vs old. Had some of my students not been on tour it would have been pretty even.

I've actually seen more young people at the Legacy type showings and they LOVED the older corps. Other than who they are rooting for in quarters, it's the young people making funny shoutouts making fun of some of todays corps. One comment last night had me laughing for about 10 minutes after the soft drink came out my nose. Those kids were pretty darn funny even if they were Cadet Fans.

The theater I was in was almost 40/60 young vs old. Had some of my students not been on tour it would have been pretty even.

I've actually seen more young people at the Legacy type showings and they LOVED the older corps. Other than who they are rooting for in quarters, it's the young people making funny shoutouts making fun of some of todays corps. One comment last night had me laughing for about 10 minutes after the soft drink came out my nose. Those kids were pretty darn funny even if they were Cadet Fans.

Well, maybe it's just the location then of the cinema, and whether or not Drum Corps has an appeal and a presence to the young in that geographical area, The Other Mike.

I've been to 4 theater shows in the past few years,

2 sold out shows in Tulsa OK, full of teens. No big surprise there, big schools with good arts education programs.

1 show in New Mexico, maybe 25 people all under 30 (except me) and one show (last night) in Ogden Utah which was about the same as the NM show.

It just depends on where you are I guess.

After the first corps, my brother had a visit with the theater manager and asked him to turn the sound up, he did, WAY UP! We were very lucky last night, It rocked!

I was at a theater in Northern Va and I would say the crowd was about 60/40 young to old. I was surprised.

Just as the got started into America the Beautiful the satellite cut out for about 20 min. People were just starting to get restless when the theater manager handed out free movie passes. Just she had gotten to the last town, the picture came back in. Our theater sounded like it got louder at the end. Macbeth turnedcup the sound?

I actually liked theCavaliers, SCI and the Madison Scouts the best. I also thought that the judging was tougher which I personally like.

Saw BLandL at a theater in Southern Cali. The theater ended up mostly full with a crowd about 70/30 young to old. The young audience was really vocal and extremely appreciative. Lots of clapping and cheering......it was a lot of fun. Pretty savvy kids, too..... they appreciated all the corps, but cheered loudest for SCV, Cavvies and BD. Oh, and Madison Scouts. There were groans and a couple of "oh no's" when SCV's score was announced, (PR response was tepid).

The cinema I went too ( Lowell Ma. ) to watch the quarterfinals was packed last night. There were a few hundred there. That said, I saw almost nobody under age 30 in the crowd. I went to diifferent movie theatres the last half dozen years and it's the same thing. The young are no shows. It doesn't matter if it's a live DCI competition like last night, or a pre season screening of last years performances, with clips of upcoming shows, or the Classics. It doesn't matter the format. They won't go. In pre season there were more ticket takers than ticket givers under the age of 22 in the theatre I went too.

Thoughts ?

If you break out by state how many kids are marching in DCI from MA it would not produce a high number. Thus,the differences in younger vs older makeup of the audiences varying by geography.

My friends Tony and Teresa hit the movies at the Galaxy 14 north of Castleton in Indy. Here are some of their comments:

"First off, the pen we carried all the way from the parking lot to the theatre, did not work when we got inside. This recap is therefore from memory.

"I was nervous that we would have difficulty finding a seat because our taco salad dinner ran long and we did not leave the house until 6:32 for a 6:30 show. The cineplex was so busy that there was no ticket taker and since Teresa had purchased our tickets on Monday, we walked in without our tickets being torn in half.

"As it turns out there was no cause for concern. The theatre had 4 other fans in place when we walked in and found our seats in the dark. Unfortunately our late arrival meant we only got to see half of Troopers' show.

"Teresa was giddy with excitement because of Madison's show. "Finally they're back." I have to say, I got a little teary during the show. Madison has long been a favorite of mine, and it was hard to be a supporter in recent years. Teresa gave a whoop and a fist pump at the end of their show before she realized that's apparently not kosher in the cineplex. It is worth noting that the theatre was dead silent the entire 5 hours we were there with the exception of Teresa and I making comments throughout the evening. While they've gone back to their roots, one tradition they did not revisit was blasting... ahhh. I question the uniform choice, but I think it's pretty smart to go with short sleeves for the hot weather. We enjoyed hearing their traditional tunes but are glad they were updated.

"I'm turning over the computer for Cavies. Teresa, here, ready to splooie my Cavie love.

"Okay, so I admit this year's show is weird, but it's also entertaining and has amazing, seamless drill (a Cavie trademark). Tony and I agree the guard's trench coats are menacing, the smiley masks creepy. A testament to the effort this show requires thanks to the rapid-fire, simultaneous marching and playing (take a clue, BD): a corps member interviewed after the performance was literally dripping sweat. Even after all the hype I've heard about "this is my rifle," I still enjoyed that section of the show. And as Dean knows, my fondness for Charlie Chaplin made "Smile" a sentimental favorite.

"I don't know if Cavies can overtake BD, even if the Green Machine continues to rev up its performances. I do know that I always love the physicality of Cavalier shows. Back to Tony . . .

"2010 Trends according to White House judges:

1) harlequin face paint on guard

2) mohawks or big, ratty hair pulled back from the face on guard

3) layers of "half pants" on guard

4) purple

5) standing on/launching off percussion instruments

6) decreased vocalization, but increased keyboard/synthesizer

"Looking forward to finals. We're cheering for the boy bands : )

T & T

The theater I went to (Wilmington, DE) had a bunch of kids under 21. But that is mainly my band director from high school's fault. He's kinda made it tradition now to let his kids go to Big Loud Live every year right after band camp. I don't know about you guys, but I think its awesome.

I went to my first one ever (as I'm normally there live and will be tonight) and was really impressed at how good it was.

Well done, it sounded way better than live did last year

we only had 15 people, I counted

but to be fair, there were a lot of theaters in my area showing it, maybe too many