Hate

What I would like to see is for the OP to give us an example of a dcp poster demonstrating thier hatred towards the corps and the kids. This will never happen.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't for the life of me think why anyone would "hate" a drum corps. Granted, I have my favorite corps that I like more than others, but I honestly can't think of a drum corps I "hate".

It seems like a lot of hatred is based on the following:

[*]Personal Accounts - There are a few people out there who base their hatred on first hand experiences: "I saw a guy in BD do this...", or "One of the Scouts did this ..". In these cases, you basically can't argue the fact that they saw something. However, in MOST of the cases I'm pretty sure that the corps member that was out of line was an isolated case. I'm pretty sure that NO drum corps teaches bad manners or bad sportsmanship (see this post). I would hope that the people with the "personal accounts" of history would not hate the drum corps, but feel sorry for the misguided individuals for their inappropriate behavior.

Hatred is of course too strong of a word to use for this, but I will have to respectfully disagree.

There are two corps in particular that I had personal experiences with while marching in another corps 08-09 that have colored my opinions.

Corps A- Their bass line got in a fist fight in the parking lot after the Normal show. With each other. The percussion caption head separated them by putting one in a choke hold.

At a later tour stop, I encountered a dozen or so members of their hornline in a convenience store post-show. Several members were obviously down- I thought maybe tourflu or soemthing. To my growing horror the rest of the horns proceeded to basically just trashtalk the guys who were looking down, ripping into them about missing some new body work. Gossip about who's been ticking is nothing new, but I've never seen it done to anyone's face other than incredibly politely- usually you just let the vis tech deal with it or they figure it out. This was downright verbal abuse.

Any organization that allows or circumstantially encourages stuff like this is on my blacklist for life. Putting your members in a pressure cooker is not acceptable.

Corps B- Not nearly as frightening as the other group, but still a serious competitive etiquette grievance. A little buzzed during retreat is too buzzed. Nobody likes dealing with a drunk. Relatively sure this was just a few individuals and probably limited to one year, but the memory sticks, you know?

As for the BD "FYWW" thing, hell, the just exude that. They don't say it because they don't need to. Far too busy pushing themselves farther than anyone thought possible to worry about what you think of them, anyway. :smile:

Edited by comeonfhqwhgads

This is another type of "negativity" which breeds hate ... calling drum corps "marching bands" brings out negative feelings and a type of hatred ("we are NOT a marching band").

PLEASE ... let's have a meaningful discussion on this topic, and keep this thread on the issue at hand.

Thanks!

Drum corps is just a genre of marching band. People getting all up in arms about that concept is goofy, and another example of why people are so hyper critical of all things drum corps

What I would like to see is for the OP to give us an example of a dcp poster demonstrating thier hatred towards the corps and the kids. This will never happen.

There were more than a few posts that say "I hate ...", some of them removed.

I don't believe that any of the posts expressed hatred towards the performers (I prefer NOT to call them "kids"), and for that I'm thankful.

But, there were posts that expressed hatred to the corps, or their directors, or the show (some of them have already been removed) ... and the hate was represented in an almost venomous manner. If you saw an earlier posting in this thread, the poster said they hate the Blue Devils show ... but did it in a fashion that wasn't nasty, rude, vengeful, or in a negative fashion what-so-ever.

And if you want to see REAL hate ... just peruse the threads in the G7 .... sorry ... the World Series of Drum Corps thread ... there's some real nasty hatred going on there, with full un-moderated name calling of directors and corps.

A quote on my daily calendar from earlier this week:

"Hate is just a special kind of love that we give to people who suck"

I know it doesn't really add to the discussion but I thought it was funny.