Hate

I've seen forums where there is MUCH MUCH more hate and vitriole passed around. I'd say DCP is pretty tame compared to what I've seen.

Pick out any of the thousands of college sports message boards in America. Read it during the season for 2 days, then come back here and compare DCP with any of those boards. On those boards, they NAME the 18-22 year old player that they want almost waterboarded for ( one example ) fumbling the ball, throwing an interception, etc and just generally being found less than satisfying in competition play. Calling the team , Coach, player, play calling " boring " is almost the mildest degree of criticism one will find when the school's team loses or doesn't play up to the fans expectations. DCP is as mild as it can be compared to most mesage boards revolving around a competitive activity where emotions can naturally run high. We might need to remember the shortened word " fan " is derived from the word " fanatical" and from " fanatic ". It doesn't derive from the word " friendly". So a high degree of fanaticism naturally needs to be clearly understood for what it is...and tolerated.... when we are on a message board where there is so much diversity of opinions encountered from us " fans".

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick out any of the thousands of college sports message boards in America. Read it during the season for 2 days, then come back here and compare DCP with any of those boards. On those boards, they NAME the 18-22 year old player that they want almost waterboarded for ( one example ) fumbling the ball, throwing an inteception, etc and just generally being found less than satisfying in competition play. Calling the team , Coach, player, play calling " boring " is almost the mildest degree of criticism one will find when the school's team loses or doesn't play up to the fans expectations. DCP is as mild as it can be compared to most mesage boards revolving around a competitive activity where emotions can naturally run high. We might need to remember the shortened word " fan " is derived from the word " fanatical" and from " fanatic ". It doesn't come from the word " friendly". So a high degree of fanaticism naturally needs to be clearly understood for what it is...and tolerated.... when we are on a message board where there is so much diversity of opinions encountered from us " fans".

I would like to think we are a little smarter and more respectful than drunken college football fans (coming from an Alabama native). We shouldn't even compare ourselves to that.

Thanks for the advice guys... I will no longer engage the ummmmm, well you know what I mean... lol

hatersgonnacat.jpg

As for OP: I totally agree. I think it is perfectly alright for people to dislike a show. However, I think people should try and break down why. What is it you dislike? The drill, the music, the arrangement, etc.

Intelligently worded topics or break downs of what you don't like about a show make for good discussions. I love when posters say "I think if the guard brought out those flags sooner or had this color flag, it might make for a more effective moment" instead of "This show has no GE. Why are they above MY corps!?!?!?" Comparisons can sometimes make good discussions, but often times it falls back to "well my corps marches bigger steps!" and "well MY corps takes up more of the field!"

I would like to think we are a little smarter and more respectful than drunken college football fans (coming from an Alabama native). We shouldn't even compare ourselves to that.

Well,... here is a perfect example of the " hate" talk. When you call college football fans who are critical of their team " drunks ", you illustrate exactly what I mean. So thank you for coming on here and making my point. When we call people who disagree wth us " haters " ... or " drunks " or other vile names, t's cool and all, but we lose the attempt at a high ground. It naturally falls under it's own weight of intolerance when we resort to name calling, although sometimes the name calling can be apt. What if we turned it around and called a Corps staff member who designed a show that we find boring or weird, that he must have been a " drunk " or " stoned " when he designed it. Is this acceptable ? No. Then why call out college fans on a message board when they might be critical of a teams play " drunk " when they said it ?

Edited by BRASSO

Well,... here is a perfect example of the " hate" talk. When you call college football fans who are critical of their team " drunks ", you illustrate exactly what I mean. So thank you for coming on here and making my point. When we call people who disagree wth us " haters " ... or " drunks " or other vile names, t's cool and all, but we lose the attempt at a high ground. It naturally falls under it's own weight of intolerance when we resort to name calling, although sometimes the name calling can be apt. What if we turned it around and called a Corps staff member who designed a show that we find boring or weird, that he must have been a " drunk " or " stoned " when he designed it. Is this acceptable ? No. Then why call out college fans on a message board when they might be critical of a teams play " drunk " when they said it ?

You've obviously never been to an Alabama football game :lookaround:

Some people just need thicker skin. The is an online forum where opinions are expressed. They can be negative or positive. I personally HATE the Blue Devils show this year. They perform the hell out of it... but I hate their show (which I have a feeling that might be what they are going for... they are still getting crowd reaction.. usually an angry reaction). But I'm not entertained by it. I see absolutely no issue with me hating BD's show design. If that insults someone personally... grow some thicker skin. I don't like your product. I have a right to express my truthful opinion on that.

And there is a ton of negativity on here... hell a year ago or so i tried to create a positive thoughts only thread about DCI. The thread died in less than a week. The "we hate/love synths" debate took over.

It is a forum... debates are going to happen... and Americans love to ##### about things. Including me : tongue:

We might need to remember the shortened word " fan " is derived from the word "fanatical" and from "fanatic". It doesn't derive from the word "friendly". So a high degree of fanaticism naturally needs to be clearly understood for what it is...and tolerated.... when we are on a message board where there is so much diversity of opinions encountered from us "fans".

Haha ... very good point.

Quick Google search on fanatic:

1. Filled with excessive and single-minded zeal
  2. Obsessively concerned with something

I guess I'm not a "fan" of any one corps then, and ... I'm not "fanatical" or "fanatic" (except about hate! ;-) ... I guess I would have to classify myself as a lover of drum corps.

On the other hand, in Wikipedia, a "fan" is described as: "... sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person with a liking and enthusiasm for something."

Well, no matter what it's called (and back to the tread OP) there are posters on DCP filled with hate, and it is upsetting to me.

I agree with the OP... My grandmother used to tell me that if you do not have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all...

Well I doubt your grandmother ever rode a DC bus ?