Hate

Well, we are a band that marches.....

:) They have a point here...

When explaining it to people who have never been in the activity, I just say "it's a summer long marching band with big audiences."

As per the OP, I would say he's covered the bases on hatred. Can't think of many other ways to hate people... Haters gonna hate. Honkers gonna honk. Just keep doing what you're doing and the kids will continue to entertain us. Can't wait for results tonight...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

:lookaround:

Yes,... it's going to lead to even MORE intolerance of differing opinions. The hate on here for those that have contrary opinions to our own is incredible.If someone likes a show we think is boring beyond belief, why is there this compelling need to hate that fan for liking something that we dislike ? If that person wants to be all sunshine and lollpops all th time, fine. If that sunshine and lolipops fan ( for example ) likes an angry theme from a Corps that plays abrassive music or has a theme filled with angst, sorrow, frustation conjuring up images of borderline insanity, let that happy, sunshine and lolipops fan enjoy that show theme filled with discord and rife, and anger.

The negativity toward other fans this year is palpable, imo. What has happened to the tolerance and diversity of opinion acceptance ? It seems to me that if somebody doesn't agree with our views, some of us want to villify that poster for not having a view that is shared by us. Disagree with tha poster, sure. But calling somone that disagrees with you a " hater " only brings the discourse down, and reflects poorly on the person that leveled that charge, while offering no reply of worth other than juvenile name calling like calling someone " a hater " because their views don't reflect our own. Just sayin'.

I would really and honestly think if someone were "BORED BEYOND BELIEF" by a show that they would not take the time to post it somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 to 50 times OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN... Please count the number of YOUR (no matter who you are) negative posts regarding show design about ONE particular corps... If that post count exceeds 3 or 4 you are putting a HATERS amount of effort into your oh so poor bored whatever it is! Now maybe I am wrong but please enlighten me to the logic of #####ING TO HIGH HEAVEN about something that you were wholly unimpressed with.

Harumph! :laughing:

I truly believe what we're witnessing here on DCP this season has nothing to do with HATE.

I have seen negative comments about design, critical minds expressing a displeasure with the direction of the activity and even contempt and sorrow for putting "a particular corps' members" through such a negative feedback season. Flipside, those who are opposed to the above types of comments take them as personal attacks and "hate", which in turn, fosters a negative return of exchanges that can get out of hand at times.

From a corps member perspective, there was often a line of thinking between two competing corps that could easily be interpreted as hatred, when in fact, their actions were born out of respect ... and a primal human nature to be competitive. Where drum corps members have the ability to shut that off and focus on the task at hand (or use it as fuel to accomplish the task at hand), we in DCP land get to hash it out 24/7 with no other outlet for our thoughts and feelings beyond simple words.

I completely understand that not all posts on DCP are born out of respect for competition or a particular corps .... I think where the escalation comes from is the defensive position of an argument/debate ............... nobody likes to be pinned on their back to the ground ... nor should they. For those who are immediately on the defensive ..... I often wonder if they ever marched in a corps .. because this is not the type of behavioral management skills you learn from the DCI experience, no matter where you marched. Maybe we just forget our training, maybe things were different in different eras... and maybe you're a parent defending your kid ... who knows.

Bottom line, everyone has the PRIVILEGE on DCP to post their thoughts and criticisms in an (somewhat) open forum. It is up to the poster to decide the tenor of their words, whether to post one liners or think things through and post entire thoughts.

All in all, the DCP admins have done a good job of keeping things under control here on this forum.

Where I see the problem is not hatred ... it is a lack of Respect. Respect for others opinions (whether positive or negative, constructive or destructive) is up to the individual. Just follow a simple rule, "Think before you post". Then all will be right in DCP land.

Oh then, let everyone run away and cower at being labeled. Because that's what you're engaging in. You don't want a discussion, you want to throw out the "hate" card and stifle the sifting and winnowing of ideas.

Leave this for the political newsgroups.

I don't see "hate." I see passionate discourse. Are you afraid of the exchange of ideas?

I actually see DCP as one of the "more political" groups to which I participate.

I was hoping to have an engaging discourse on why there is this hatred in Drum Corps / DCP. There are many postings with the words "I Hate ..." in them, and it is disturbing to me.

I'm not trying to stifle or winnow out ideas ... I was just hoping to keep this thread on topic. And if I were afraid to exchange ideas, I would not have opened this thread!

I guess there is a fine line between "extreme negativity" and "hate" ... but I think there is a broad difference between intelligent conversation of exchange of ideas and the "automatic gain-saying of any statement the other person makes" ($1 to Monty Python!) ... which, IMHO is what a great number of postings on DCP turn into.

... it is a lack of Respect. Respect for others opinions (whether positive or negative, constructive or destructive) is up to the individual. Just follow a simple rule, "Think before you post". Then all will be right in DCP land.

I can go with that! :laughing::lookaround:

As per my previous post, I still think there are too many postings with "I hate" in them.

While some of the "personal" stuff does need to be scaled back (admittedly some of my posts too), we live in a country that allows us the freedom of expression and opinion.

God Bless America-- and also the person who started this thread!

There has been a LOT of "hatred" on DCP this year (almost to epic "RAMD levels").

Why am I posting this? I (as well as others) get very upset seeing all of this hatred on DCP. In my years of drum corps experience, it has never been focused on hatred ... it's been focused on camaraderie, team effort, cooperation, self-improvement, and having fun doing something that I love to do. Not hate, just a love of the drum corps the activity.

I would recommend that DCP adopts a new guideline ... to curtail the "hate postings".

I'm sorry to say but IMO it is a sign of the times that we live in. Why change the already set precedent? I've been coming to this forum for years well before my DCP profile. The hate is way more vocal now here. BUT...I find it a little comical that you actually reference RAMD. Why would you think sentiments have changed all that much from that time? Have we really evolved past that? I really don't think so. I only started to post in 2008/09 (a few times) and this season probably posted a record amount personally. I've sat on the sidelines reading many times stuff that got under my skin and just kept to myself. I think the difference now is people are willing to just vocalize more than previously and doing it publicly. Many discussions here are very polarizing. It has taken me a very long time to set aside my personal prejudices over the last 25 years and to not get irritated at other peoples arguments. I'm probably wrong more times than right. I say if whoever wants to hate than so be it. I respect BRUTAL honesty. After all, I can always ignore it.

While some of the "personal" stuff does need to be scaled back (admittedly some of my posts too), we live in a country that allows us the freedom of expression and opinion.

God Bless America-- and also the person who started this thread!

Thanks Vic!

However, we do live in America and do have freedom of expression and opinion (of which I whole-heartedly support!) ... our country also has laws against some things ... violent crimes such as murder, grand theft, down to smaller crimes such as slander and malice.

Likewise, the forum for Drum Corps Planet also has some rules, as posted in the DCP Community Guidelines[/url], which include rules against personal attacks, harassing, flaming, off-topic posts, etc. If I were a moderator, I would have canned a number of posts due to some of these rules, but the mods have done a decent job of keeping the rhetoric at a certain level.

I do, however, wish there was another rule to include something about "attacks against a drum corps" ... it's hard to quantify that, but if the mods can quantify "personal attacks", the same sort of discretion might apply to "attacks against a drum corps".