Dorritie!

Exactly, Joe. Had friends in Durning, Quaker Ciry, and Greater Overbrook in college. The String Bands are a gas, and they're about the only place you'll find a Bass Saxophone being hauled around anymore.

Gads! Fralinger's been winning for THAT long now? Quaker City was the big gorilla back when I was watching them...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first heard them, with the unique sound they produced, I thought they were in the key of WTF. (a good WTF, btw).

But thank you, Walt, for clarifying!

:smile:

Mello.....

Interesting....string bands have ALWAYS included saxaphones....it is their major instrument.

What I've noticed as I've gotten "in" to string bands of Philadelphia and their New Year's Day competition parade, is that they are going through the EXACT same thing drum corps is. They have been moving from "traditional" to artistic. (aside from the fact that their instruments have NOT changed) Their music is far more intricate....their percussion is more loosely defined (wash tub, broom stick on the street, etc) and the drill is complex and pleasing.

What I love most about enjoying mummers, is that they are my counter to drum corps. I love both for what they are.

You can check out their parade at the bottom of http://www.myphl17.com/.

Another interesting aside is the question "can anyone stop Frahlinger from an 8-peat."

Check out Quaker City and their "Mums of La Mancha," it clearly has a Cabs touch.

Regards,

Joe

SAXOPHONES

The Conch Shell is, in fact, illegal. It is not a bell-front instrument.

Is it even an instrument?

Certainly it makes noise.

However, by that criteria, a "wind-up siren" would be illegal. I'm fairly certain those have been used in a number of drum corps shows, although the only one that immediately springs to mind is the legendary 1984 Garfield Cadets West Side Story show.

Also, so far as I know, conch shells can only produce a single harmonic tone (plus or minus a few Hertz). To actually play a melody on conch shells would require one shell for each pitch, like hand-bells.

It does seem "instrument-like", in the sense that it amplifies the buzzing of human lips in the same way as a brass instrument.

Then again, so does a vuvuzela, which is clearly "bell-front", but not an instrument (I would think), again because of its monotonic nature.

I thought this had all been resolved, though?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not marching with anyone this season. My opinions are my own, and should not be construed as a reflection of any corps I ever might or might not have marched with, assuming that I even exist.

Is it even an instrument?

Certainly it makes noise.

However, by that criteria, a "wind-up siren" would be illegal. I'm fairly certain those have been used in a number of drum corps shows, although the only one that immediately springs to mind is the legendary 1984 Garfield Cadets West Side Story show.

Also, so far as I know, conch shells can only produce a single harmonic tone (plus or minus a few Hertz). To actually play a melody on conch shells would require one shell for each pitch, like hand-bells.

It does seem "instrument-like", in the sense that it amplifies the buzzing of human lips in the same way as a brass instrument.

Then again, so does a vuvuzela, which is clearly "bell-front", but not an instrument (I would think), again because of its monotonic nature.

I thought this had all been resolved, though?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not marching with anyone this season. My opinions are my own, and should not be construed as a reflection of any corps I ever might or might not have marched with, assuming that I even exist.

By your interpretation of the definition, a straight valveless bugle - in any key - is not an instrument?

By your interpretation of the definition, a straight valveless bugle - in any key - is not an instrument?

Good question- the bugle can play several different pitches due to the partials. I'm unsure about a Vuvuzela, then again, most people who play them really don't know what they're doing, so they may have partials as well.

Well, I'm told that back in the day, drum corps got out of paying for performance rights for music because the bugle wasn't an instrument ;)

Even so, with a bugle you can at least get partials out of it.

Can you do that with a conch shell? I didn't think you could

I stand corrected. A skilled conch player can apparently produce just about any note, using hand positions:

How to Play the Conch Parts 1-3

It still seems like nit-picking anyway:

The Bucs aren't using them as an instrument, just as a pit-based noise-maker to add effect, the same as a thunder stick, a brake drum, a wind-up siren, or tons of other things that make interesting noises and have been used in drum corps shows for decades.

Mello.....

Interesting....string bands have ALWAYS included saxaphones....it is their major instrument.

What I've noticed as I've gotten "in" to string bands of Philadelphia and their New Year's Day competition parade, is that they are going through the EXACT same thing drum corps is. They have been moving from "traditional" to artistic. (aside from the fact that their instruments have NOT changed) Their music is far more intricate....their percussion is more loosely defined (wash tub, broom stick on the street, etc) and the drill is complex and pleasing.

What I love most about enjoying mummers, is that they are my counter to drum corps. I love both for what they are.

You can check out their parade at the bottom of http://www.myphl17.com/.

Another interesting aside is the question "can anyone stop Frahlinger from an 8-peat."

Check out Quaker City and their "Mums of La Mancha," it clearly has a Cabs touch.

Regards,

Joe

I love it!!!

Thank you Joe, for sharing that link.

And the 'how-to" link above is outstanding. Great stuff.

Edited by Mellofello01