Dorritie!

I ##### the Mummers. HATE!!! When I lived in Philly I used to play the Mummers parade 2X each New Years Morning - once for "Fancies" and once for "Comics" ($150 each parade - $300 before lunch during the 80s). When I stopped having nightmares about flying in Viet Nam I started having them about the Polish American String Band. You'll never see me on SBP...

HATE Them. Although the guy marching with the upright base is kind of cool - reminds me of Woody Allen in "Take the Money and Run"...

What's the difference between a trampoline and an accordian?

You take your shoes off before you jump on a trampoline...

Hate them. It's the reason I moved to Massachussetts, besides the Crusaders, that is.

That's the funniest.......saddest......most sincere.......most heart wretching.....tirade I have ever read on this board. But seriously, Ray, what do you REALLY think about Mummers?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question- the bugle can play several different pitches due to the partials. I'm unsure about a Vuvuzela, then again, most people who play them really don't know what they're doing, so they may have partials as well.

If it is a resonant cavity, it will have partials.

That's the funniest.......saddest......most sincere.......most heart wretching.....tirade I have ever read on this board. But seriously, Ray, what do you REALLY think about Mummers?

HATE.

Their mothers dressed them funny.

Shouldn't be allowed to cross PA state lines into other states.

There should be a contract out on them on the other side of the Betsy Ross, Ben Franklin, or Walt Whitman bridges.

I love string bands! :thumbup::thumbup:

This doesn't surprise me - I've hard you play.

The rule about accordians applies to your french horn too.

Edited by rayfallon

Tisch from MBI used conch shells a couple of seasons ago during one of his usual multiple I&E entries at DCA. He inquired ahead of time, and received a special dispensation from Pope Pronti I.

Um....We actually got disqualified for that one..... I believe Tisch still has the sheet that has "disqualified, illegal instrument" written in big letters and underlined, twice.

Um....We actually got disqualified for that one..... I believe Tisch still has the sheet that has "disqualified, illegal instrument" written in big letters and underlined, twice.

As well you should have!

A conch shell...

Who are you? Sponge Bob?

If it is a resonant cavity, it will have partials.

True, but how hard would it be to get the partial out? Previous post insinuated you can use your hand to get pitches like you can a shofar, but I'd think the length of the tube of a conch shell is so short to get anything but the fundamental might require some serious cojones.

Then again, if I got a hold of one, I'd be nutty enough to try and see what I can do. I cuold use some injury time off from work. :thumbup:

HATE.

Their mothers dressed them funny.

Shouldn't be allowed to cross PA state lines into other states.

There should be a contract out on them on the other side of the Betsy Ross, Ben Franklin, or Walt Whitman bridges.

I think the Avalon String band is from Jersey...

Sounds like you've got a serious fear of clowns, Spongebob, and Hamburglars or something! :thumbup:

There's a string band festival each year, the weekend after Labor Day, in North Wildwood.

We went several years ago. One of the streets in the Inlet area (the one with all the Irish bars and restaurants) was blocked off... there was a craft show/flea market sort of thing set up at one end..... and several string bands paraded up and down the street during the day.

The bars let people buy drinks in plastic cups so folks could bring them outside.

Needless to say, as the day went on..... the crowd got a bit more loosened up. :thumbup:

I'd love to get back there one of these years... or back to the Mummers Show of Shows indoor exhibition show, usually held in February. Great stuff.

The Mummers used to be a big part of the Barnum Festival as well ... alwys one or two bands in the Street Parade in the 60's and 70's ... the Barnum even held a Mummers Field Show Contest at fabled Hedges Stadium in 64 ... quite a bit of pagentry as I recall ...

:-)