Dorritie!

If it is a resonant cavity, it will have partials.

Hmmm ... I had a cavity that resonated once ... had the tooth pulled and got a partial ... just lost two more in a "face vs. cement" sequal ... the cement won ... OUCH ... trying some implants this go around ... eating a lot of conch as the jaw repairs ... I know ... I went OT ... but it's Larry's fault ... gort me thinking in a parralel universe ...

:-)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but how hard would it be to get the partial out? Previous post insinuated you can use your hand to get pitches like you can a shofar, but I'd think the length of the tube of a conch shell is so short to get anything but the fundamental might require some serious cojones.

Then again, if I got a hold of one, I'd be nutty enough to try and see what I can do. I cuold use some injury time off from work. :thumbup:

Dizzy used to do it!

How about one of those surveys they have on here once in a while.........

Where would conches be best utilized:

A) Hawthorne Alumni when the horn players come out and pick up the old French Horns

B) Sky Alumni during the traffic jam as sops imitate traffic horns, conches will indicate changing climate

C) Hurricanes during push of "Mag 7"

D) DCI in G7

Edited by JoeDz

The rule about accordians applies to your french hown too.

I hate french howns. :thumbup:

If it is a resonant cavity, it will have partials.

However - if the resonant cavity is a rather random shape, the partials will not be a logical harmonic series. A skilled player may be able to elicit a few overtones, but favorable internal acoustics are needed to obtain the higher partials.

Even certain bugles such as the Smith mellophones and the Meehaphones, which had a bell too large for the rest of the components, had no pitch centers above the 5th partials. Essentially they became a megaphone when played in the upper register, fingerings were of little consequence.

Edited by HornsUp

However - if the resonant cavity is a rather random shape, the partials will not be a logical harmonic series. A skilled player may be able to elicit a few overtones, but favorable internal acoustics are needed to obtain the higher partials.

Even certain bugles such as the Smith mellophones and the Meehaphones, which had a bell too large for the rest of the components, had no pitch centers above the 5th partials. Essentially they became a megaphone when played in the upper register, fingerings were of little consequence.

Sorta like a mouthpiece without the horn.

And you just had to bring up those Smith 'phones. Fodder for late night bus wheel antics! (or lamps)

Fodder for late night bus wheel antics!

I know someone, who shall remain forever nameless.

They, after the last parade gig of the season, neatly lined up all the corps' Whaley-Royce mellos and French horns in their cases.

Then "accidentally" backed the bus over the whole row.

Then filed an insurance claim and replaced them all with new Olds Ultratones.

Edited by HornsUp

HATE.

Their mothers dressed them funny.

Nah that's the Comic and/or Fancy Divisions (don't like either one so forget what's different).

New Years Day go to in-laws for dinner and father-in-law always has Channel 17 on for da Mummers. I'll walk into the den, say Hi and then ask to be called for the string bands.....

Just something about a guy with makeup, feathers, talking like Rocky Balboa an dlooking like a Teamster. :sad: .