Dorritie!

Tisch from MBI used conch shells a couple of seasons ago during one of his usual multiple I&E entries at DCA. He inquired ahead of time, and received a special dispensation from Pope Pronti I.

Edited by HornsUp

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, Joe. Had friends in Durning, Quaker Ciry, and Greater Overbrook in college. The String Bands are a gas, and they're about the only place you'll find a Bass Saxophone being hauled around anymore.

I love string bands!!!! :thumbup:

I love string bands!!!! :thumbup:

I believe that anyone who loves D & B could easily get that same feeling for mummery. (I'm arriving at Wildwood for a week next Saturday and on Saturday night Frahlinger is giving a concert on the North Wildwood boardwalk platform....my grand daughter watched them on the website and wants to see them live). But, we don't need to see a string band in DCA or a drum corps in the mummers contest. JUST AS WE DON'T NEED EXTENSION CORDS !

Joe

I believe that anyone who loves D & B could easily get that same feeling for mummery. (I'm arriving at Wildwood for a week next Saturday and on Saturday night Frahlinger is giving a concert on the North Wildwood boardwalk platform....my grand daughter watched them on the website and wants to see them live). But, we don't need to see a string band in DCA or a drum corps in the mummers contest. JUST AS WE DON'T NEED EXTENSION CORDS !

Joe

Heh, agreed. Each is special and unique.

I do have to say, though that after first seeing them at one of the "Show of Shows", I can't but think Bobby Hoffman wasn't influenced by them in terms of what he ended up dooing with the Bridgemen in terms of the in-show zaniness.

Well, I'm told that back in the day, drum corps got out of paying for performance rights for music because the bugle wasn't an instrument ;)

Supposedly not having all 3 valves (IOW - not being able to ply the full chromatic scale) made ye olde hornes not really an instrument. However legalities, lawsuits, etc, etc really took off when 3v started being used so it's guess what it would be like now (legal-wise) if we still had 2v or piston/rotor.

Also..... Mummers are only group I even saw marching an unright (unplugged) string bass.... in a parade...... in January..... with fingerless gloves.... (that poor bastich).

And I saw the secret how you can march with a string bass. :thumbup:

I believe that anyone who loves D & B could easily get that same feeling for mummery. (I'm arriving at Wildwood for a week next Saturday and on Saturday night Frahlinger is giving a concert on the North Wildwood boardwalk platform....my grand daughter watched them on the website and wants to see them live).

There's a string band festival each year, the weekend after Labor Day, in North Wildwood.

We went several years ago. One of the streets in the Inlet area (the one with all the Irish bars and restaurants) was blocked off... there was a craft show/flea market sort of thing set up at one end..... and several string bands paraded up and down the street during the day.

The bars let people buy drinks in plastic cups so folks could bring them outside.

Needless to say, as the day went on..... the crowd got a bit more loosened up. :thumbup:

I'd love to get back there one of these years... or back to the Mummers Show of Shows indoor exhibition show, usually held in February. Great stuff.

Heh, agreed. Each is special and unique.

I do have to say, though that after first seeing them at one of the "Show of Shows", I can't but think Bobby Hoffman wasn't influenced by them in terms of what he ended up dooing with the Bridgemen in terms of the in-show zaniness.

LOL..... One year at that show, we kinda figured if the Mummers were a drum corps, they would be a cross between the Bridgemen, Velvet Knighs and Empire Statesmen.... with a bit of Renegades thrown in. :thumbup:

LOL..... One year at that show, we kinda figured if the Mummers were a drum corps, they would be a cross between the Bridgemen, Velvet Knighs and Empire Statesmen.... with a bit of Renegades thrown in. :thumbup:

I ##### the Mummers. HATE!!! When I lived in Philly I used to play the Mummers parade 2X each New Years Morning - once for "Fancies" and once for "Comics" ($150 each parade - $300 before lunch during the 80s). When I stopped having nightmares about flying in Viet Nam I started having them about the Polish American String Band. You'll never see me on SBP...

HATE Them. Although the guy marching with the upright base is kind of cool - reminds me of Woody Allen in "Take the Money and Run"...

What's the difference between a trampoline and an accordian?

You take your shoes off before you jump on a trampoline...

Hate them. It's the reason I moved to Massachussetts, besides the Crusaders, that is.

I ##### the Mummers. HATE!!! When I lived in Philly I used to play the Mummers parade 2X each New Years Morning - once for "Fancies" and once for "Comics" ($150 each parade - $300 before lunch during the 80s). When I stopped having nightmares about flying in Viet Nam I started having them about the Polish American String Band. You'll never see me on SBP...

HATE Them. Although the guy marching with the upright base is kind of cool - reminds me of Woody Allen in "Take the Money and Run"...

What's the difference between a trampoline and an accordian?

You take your shoes off before you jump on a trampoline...

Hate them. It's the reason I moved to Massachussetts, besides the Crusaders, that is.

I love string bands! :thumbup::thumbup: