Trooping The Stands.

While we're on the topic of playing off, has anybody noticed how corps don't even seem to CADENCE off anymore!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't support full retreat for every show, but would like to see them at least at every regional. And yes, bring back trooping the stands. It's so rare now to get to hear the corps playing their songs, and it's a piece of our history that we should not let die. There are probably a lot of younger fans and even members who don't know what a lot of the corps' songs are, and to me it's a shame that those identities are fading.

Conquest

Send in the Clowns

Over the Rainbow

You'll Never Walk Alone

Autumn Leaves

Georgia

Every one of those, and a lot of others, can still make me choke up. Let's not lose that.

No, no, no. It has been so long now that most don't even know what they are anymore and why people have no idea what I'm doing when I grunt during Conquest. After scores the corps leave one at a time in reverse order of finish and play a song to the champion as they march off. They used to do this at every show. We would get to hear BAC=Conquest, Madison=You'll Never Walk Alone, SCV=Send in the Clowns, SOA=Georgia, etc. I miss so much hearing the corps songs being played. For the other poster full retreat can only be 12 corps, that's the reason for prelims knocking it down to 12.

I stand corrected. Since the cadences and playing off the field have pretty much gone away, I guess I was thinking about "modern retreat" - the color and sound of the top 12 being on the field during announcement of the scores.

I would like to see the rest of it added back to the activity. I know full retreat takes a long time, but you have already paid a lot for the tickets, so you should get your money's worth. If you want to beat the traffic, then you can leave early...

When was the last full retreat in DCI?

I still remember the thrill of watching Corps march off playing their "Special" song, as well participating in that. Logistics? Quickly getting back on the Road? Heck, after DCI Finals there is NO Road! Why not 1 more chance to celebrate the Glory of what might be your last opportunity to rejoice in a long & grueling Season. Personally, I think the crowd would give a sustained

"Standing O" to ALL Corps at that point. IMO!

How about each corps playing THEMSELVES onto the field.

I loved the US Marine Drum & Bugle Corps playing them on, but, how about each corps playing their corps song as they enter the field and set up? Sorta like marching and playing in a parade!

It took FOREVER for the corps to be introduced and set on the field Saturday nite!!!! It didn't seem to be a 'corps wasnt ready' thing, but a 'distracted' announcer thing........

....maybe my mind is going, but didnt the Cavies play something before they left the field Saturday night?

I still remember the thrill of watching Corps march off playing their "Special" song, as well participating in that. Logistics? Quickly getting back on the Road? Heck, after DCI Finals there is NO Road! Why not 1 more chance to celebrate the Glory of what might be your last opportunity to rejoice in a long & grueling Season. Personally, I think the crowd would give a sustained

"Standing O" to ALL Corps at that point. IMO!

Very well could be that the LOS folks wanted them done as quickly as possible, as the stadium was hosting an NFL game the next day.

Mike

... What do you all think about restoring this Time Honored Tradition? :thumbup: or :sad: ?

At 11:10 in my blog on dci.org, I wrote the following: "I do miss corps playing themselves off the field and honoring the Champion on the way." Sign me up!

As a MM there was nothing sweeter than the first retreat where the corps you had chased...sometimes for years...was walking off while YOU were standing in formation. It's part of what you sweated for all afternoon.

Now I sound like an old fart, but we lost a part of who we were when we lost these things. Expedient isn't always better.

One of the most memorable trooping the stands performances of music I ever saw/heard was Madison in 1979 leaving the field. I was in the Guardsmen that year, and we beat Madison in Finals that night in 1979... completely unexpectedly and much to many in the crowds displeasure.

Madison unleashed an incredibly emotional and BYBO version of one of their pieces they played that year in their show (can't recall which one... sorry) and the stands absolutely erupted with cheers and babies being tossed and anarchy and thunder & lightening. It was awesome.