35 Years ago today....

The Madison Scouts won their first title, 8/16/75. Congrats, men. :sad:

I was there as well. It was electrifying. As I write I feel the chills going down my back from just remembering that show. It was a hot day and I remember sitting there in about 95 degree heat just sweating and stinking. No breeze just thousands of people sitting side by side. The crowd was ready for Madison. But we had just seen Santa Clara who was also spectacular. The other ten corps were not too shaby either. When Madison hit that first chord, the crowd went wild and came to their feet just a few seconds into the show. The wall of sound from Madison is what made drum corps special to me. To all of those who marched that day, congratulations! You gave me an experience that I will have forever.

Edited by baja

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup:

Hey ! Who you callin' WE ? :thumbup:

Speak for yourself there Westshore - :sad:

Pat

:thumbup: Off-topic but think the people who remember 1975 will appreciate it. Few weeks back went to my 35th HS Reunion. Wife stayed home as I wasn't sure how long I would stay at a finger food and open bar type of get together. Got home and was asked how it went. My response was "It was OK, but then all these OLD people showed up". :thumbup:

I was late arriving at the theatre to watch quarters -- work and traffic and such -- but when I finally got there and opened the theatre door I knew I was in the right place. I was just in time for Madison to blast me back to the past. Good times :thumbup:

I was there as well. It was electrifying. As I write I feel the chills going down my back from just remembering that show. It was a hot day and I remember sitting there in about 95 degree heat just sweating and stinking. No breeze just thousands of people sitting side by side. The crowd was ready for Madison. But we had just seen Santa Clara who was also spectacular. The other ten corps were not too shaby either. When Madison hit that first chord, the crowd went wild and came to their feet just a few seconds into the show. The wall of sound from Madison is what made drum corps special to me. To all of those who marched that day, congratulations! You gave me an experience that I will have forever.

Not to nit pick but as defending champions Santa Clara chose to go on after the Scouts in 1975.

I still think of that night often and more than anything remember the crowd standing in a big wave when we turned with the big hit at the end of the way we were.

Not to nit pick but as defending champions Santa Clara chose to go on after the Scouts in 1975.

Baja may have been thinking of 1974, when SCV DID choose to go on before Madison at finals (two corps prior to Madison, in their actual prelim ordinal spot). As defending champs they could have chosen to go on last in '74, but went on before Scouts, and it paid off BIG time for SCV.

Is anything the same as it was 35 years ago?

I loved it as a kid, still think it's fantastic today; vive la difference!

peace,

Fred O.

Amen to that. If things didn't change,we'd still be living in caves ,maybe making Geico commercials. :cool:

I still think of that night often and more than anything remember the crowd standing in a big wave when we turned with the big hit at the end of the way we were.

Baja is right, it was an electrifying night! We were sitting closely in the stands in the heat of the day and eve for every corps. When Madison Scouts turned and hit the end of The Way We Were it was the fireworks of that electrifying night. I too had that experience in 75 that I'll never forget. Thanks for the passion and memories.

1975 Madison probably directly inspired many young men to become Scouts over the next 5-7 years. I was one of them. I think in the same way the 2010 version of that show will similarly inspires guys to come to Madison.

The crowd was ready for Madison. But we had just seen Santa Clara who was also spectacular.

As a minor historical correction, Madison actually performed before SCV at Finals that year (and after Blue Devils).

Given the '74 results, it's curious that Royer didn't decide to go on before Madison again in '75, since Scouts had a naturally more emotionally charged show than Vanguard, who was more a finesse corps that year. I wouldn't have envied SCV having to follow that Madison performance.

Edited by mobrien