Scranton show

I loved the old "showboats" who would twirl a big ol' Mace and stick it in the ground.

So did I, back in the '80's. George Parks is still a very big part of the Buccaneer history and tradition. I'm pretty sure he will be there to cheer on the corps at championships. All drum majors have there own style and we've been lucky to have some of the best.

David Bruni is part of the Statesmen tradition and style. I like it!!!!! Just 'cause I belong to a different organization doesn't mean I can't appreciate everyone's style........

Edited by Loiswt

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a silly technicality - but a highlight for me Saturday night was comparing crescendos between Statesmen and Caballeros - and it seems to me the whole purported superior sound of a B vs a G might be exaggeration ( IMHO )

The ensemble sound of these two brasslines to me was so melodic , well balanced and finely tuned they gave me chills!

Careful....You'll be told that you don't have an ear anymore if you keep up honest comments like that....

:lookaround:

So did I, back in the '80's. George Parks is still a very big part of the Buccaneer history and tradition. I'm pretty sure he will be there to cheer on the corps at championships. All drum majors have there own style and we've been lucky to have some of the best.

David Bruni is part of the Statesmen tradition and style. I like it!!!!! Just 'cause I belong to a different organization doesn't mean I can't appreciate everyone's style........

You're right - people seem to forget the days when the drum major was the personality of the corps.

I wouldn't say forget. I think many fans now never saw those days.

Oh and I forgot to add: the big brassy sound. Empires 40 some brass sounded like 60.[/q

They've carried more than 40 all year. BTW, they are G horns and they play cleanly.

I thought they were in the high 40s. Guess my eyesight is failing too.... Anyhow, I agree the G horns make a difference-that was the point I was perhaps too subtly making. Also, when I wrote 'campy' a few pages back, I did not mean that disrespectfully. I actually LOVE Empire's show. So I meant "campy" in a positive rather than pejorative sense.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

I just heard that Statesmen took best brass tonight and their guard came in 3rd. WOW, they seem to be improving at the right time. I'm just a little miffed at MBI getting a 92......hmmmm-m-m-m......

Oh well, no matter. For Statesmen going on early, they did great and I just got another call that stated how much the audience LOVED the Wizard of Oz show. Statesmen should be proud that they won the crowd too. Woo-hoo, go Statesmen!

well it looks like they are at a 93 now... i guess you punched a hole in the wall in complete anger? I can understand frustration when your favorite corps isnt where you want them but its nothing to get angry about.

well it looks like they are at a 93 now... i guess you punched a hole in the wall in complete anger? I can understand frustration when your favorite corps isnt where you want them but its nothing to get angry about.

Didn't VOReason go to Scranton? Where is he or she?

if VOR was there, i'm surprised there wasn't a fight :lookaround:

doubt it.

my opinion against yours