Scranton show

Actually, I worked 36 hours straight. Midnight Saturday morning 'till Sunday noon. I was quiet 'cause I was sleeping. But don't ya'll worry, I seen a few comments that I may just have to jump on....once I wake up...

Your comments won't be necessary since you weren't there... again.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:shutup:

OK Boys - let's play nice... :music:

I could imagine many things about you two guys meeting - some good, some not..

Oh hell - if Big W decides to come to Rochester, let's all get together for a beverage. As much as I would love to go the Reading show, I don't think I could find 2 more folks to help drive.... :worthy:

:tongue: To 2 of the best opinionated folks on the Forums....SKOL!! (vikings)

Pat

Heh, Ream and my Sister make fun of me a lot. Heck, half the Westshoremen STILL do. It's fine. It's part of being who I am. As long as folks remember I did more or less grow up and got 2 degrees, have been involved in the marching activity and done some decent teaching here and there, and that I'm not 16 anymore, LOL.

I was also there that night, also. It is absolutely possible that they had a bad night. In my opinion they did not. However, I watched the PA judge stand in front of Empire's drum snare line on the field for roughly 90 seconds. He spent the rest of the show on the track behind the drum major. If that's not bogus, then I don't know what is. The scores for ALL groups that night were questionable at best. This happens every #### year at Kingston and all the homers get a huge chip on their shoulder for two weeks over jacked up scores. But apparently it has been discussed elsewhere, so that's all I will say about that.

I have noticed that most of the PA judges spend a lot of time in front of the pit this year. I tried to get an answer out of my son but all he did was grumble alot. Could it be that they are listening for pit to brass coordination. But the amount of time that I saw different judges doing this seemed very long for that.

:blink:

OK Boys - let's play nice... :music:

I could imagine many things about you two guys meeting - some good, some not..

Oh hell - if Big W decides to come to Rochester, let's all get together for a beverage. As much as I would love to go the Reading show, I don't think I could find 2 more folks to help drive.... :worthy:

:tongue: To 2 of the best opinionated folks on the Forums....SKOL!! (vikings)

Pat

Pat,

we know each other. Have for years. we bring out the best and worst in each other ( i'm the best, he's the worst) :shutup:

Heh, Ream and my Sister make fun of me a lot. Heck, half the Westshoremen STILL do. It's fine. It's part of being who I am. As long as folks remember I did more or less grow up and got 2 degrees, have been involved in the marching activity and done some decent teaching here and there, and that I'm not 16 anymore, LOL.

always understated. half. LOL. :tongue:

I have noticed that most of the PA judges spend a lot of time in front of the pit this year. I tried to get an answer out of my son but all he did was grumble alot. Could it be that they are listening for pit to brass coordination. But the amount of time that I saw different judges doing this seemed very long for that.

It is great that they are spending time in front of the pit. They are, after all, part of the percussion ensemble. In a perfect world, the PA judge would evenly and fairly sample every single section of the percussion ensemble. Parking in front of the pit for over 8 minutes of the show doesn't give a fair read of all of the sections, no matter how experienced, impartial, etc., the judge may be.

It is great that they are spending time in front of the pit. They are, after all, part of the percussion ensemble. In a perfect world, the PA judge would evenly and fairly sample every single section of the percussion ensemble. Parking in front of the pit for over 8 minutes of the show doesn't give a fair read of all of the sections, no matter how experienced, impartial, etc., the judge may be.

Much of it could be the drill. The way a lot of the drill's written now, it'd be foolish and outright dangerous to get around the battery for much of their performances. I'm not talking about the safety of the judges as much as I am the performer.

Also, a lot of visual judges are starting to seriously whine full-tilt at on-field judges that they become a distraction to their read of the program and that they need to be more out of the way. Perhaps that's also an issue. If they whine, fine. I can sample off the track and do my best, and then if the staff comes in upset, I just tell them there was an issue with the visual people being upset, and perhaps you need to discuss that politely with them.

Back in the early '90's DCA had no brass judges on-field, and perhaps they need to think about going that way again for safety reasons.

you can get a read of the entire percussion ensemble from behind the pit, as often you can get a great line of sight to the battery and hear how the arrangements front and back line up