Scoring Question

There are 20 points available in the subcaption and 20 points were awarded. How else can it be percievd other than the respective judge deemed them to be perfect? There is no such thing as perfection in a subjectively judged, artistically based activity. If the reason for the 20 was that the judge felt they were .3 better than Cavies, then it would seem the judge got the Cavies number wrong. Smells a lot of slotting to me!

This is the kind of absurd logic that prevents outstanding employees from getting top ratings in performance reviews because "no one is perfect". The highest possible rating does not mean perfect, unless the criteria says so.

In drum corps, the sheets define what performance level deserves to be at the top of the top box, and I can assure you that none of them say anything about a "perfect", "flawless" or "mistake free" performance.

Awarding the max score in a caption merely means that the group 1) Fully meets the description for a Box 5 performance, 2) Is the best unit in the show, and 3) Is X number of points/tenths better than the 2nd place group.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

READ BACK IN THE THREAD, it explains that a 20 doesnt really mean a perfect score. the focus is more on the ranking and then a spread

ok, well, regardless, I dont see how you have the kind of issues which occured on finals night in BD guard and at the difficulty level of the work being what it is and still be ranked with the spread they had

This is the kind of absurd logic that prevents outstanding employees from getting top ratings in performance reviews because "no one is perfect". The highest possible rating does not mean perfect, unless the criteria says so.

In drum corps, the sheets define what performance level deserves to be at the top of the top box, and I can assure you that none of them say anything about a "perfect", "flawless" or "mistake free" performance.

Awarding the max score in a caption merely means that the group 1) Fully meets the description for a Box 5 performance, 2) Is the best unit in the show, and 3) Is X number of points/tenths better than the 2nd place group.

"absurd logic"? While it's difficult for me to get my head around that, allow me to make an observation and ask a question; If a so-called "perfect score" in any Caption reflects a "Judge's" opinion that the Corps outshone every other Corps in their performance on that night, I can begin to comprehend that (while not necessarily agreeing with it.).

But, don't ypu think that 19.99 would equally reflect that opinion, while simoultaneously taking the position that "While nobody is perfect, this Corps came as close to perfection as I've seen!"?

We ALL seem (myself included) to be hung up on the G7 "woodwinds" issue - is it possible that they may well be viewing a NEW "Judging" system, halfway between this current MBD (male bovine dung - an abbreviation I will use from now on in respect to BS, Blessed Sacrament) and the much discredited "tick" system? I notice that among the G7 proposals is one which would make the Audience & their response part of the Scoring system. Would this be even remotely feasible? Cavaliers appearing in Concord? Devils appearing in Naperville? Crown appearing in Allentown? Cadets appearing in Charlotte? - ad infinitum et nauseaum.

The ONLY benefit I see from this whole G7 issue is that it has challenged we CMMs, FMMs, and Fans to take a long, HARD look at where we've been, where we are, and where we MIGHT go.

Hopefully, the Corps, their Directors, their Boards, and the DCI BOD love Drum Corps even more than I and will do what's best to maintain this amazing Heritage!

And, as always...SPLOOIE!! to you ALL!

ok, well, regardless, I dont see how you have the kind of issues which occured on finals night in BD guard and at the difficulty level of the work being what it is and still be ranked with the spread they had

Normally I would agree. most times BD has won guard I didnt think they deserved it BUT this year I did. Its just not about spinning also, thers many components. But I do know where you are coming from or why one would look and see less actual spinning or a mistake or two. Ive learned over the years also HArder doesnt mean better.

"absurd logic"? While it's difficult for me to get my head around that, allow me to make an observation and ask a question; If a so-called "perfect score" in any Caption reflects a "Judge's" opinion that the Corps outshone every other Corps in their performance on that night, I can begin to comprehend that (while not necessarily agreeing with it.).

But, don't ypu think that 19.99 would equally reflect that opinion, while simoultaneously taking the position that "While nobody is perfect, this Corps came as close to perfection as I've seen!"?

Judges do not have the option of assigning hundredths of a point.

The final score is carried out to three decimal places because some of the captions are averaged/composited but in each caption, it's tenths only.

Again, the judges do not need to burden themselves with questions over whether anybody is perfect because the max score doesn't mean perfect. The number a corps receives is a rating relative to the criteria on the sheets, NOT a percentage of perfection.

Regardless of what anyone says, ranking/spreads/ticks, when corps are so very close to each other in content and execution, it boils down to, actual mistakes made in the end. otherwise the execution caption is a bunch of bull. if not, the top corps in any caption can go out and be sloppy sloppy and still get the mark.....which unfortunately seems to be exactally what occures from time to time.

Regardless of what anyone says, ranking/spreads/ticks, when corps are so very close to each other in content and execution, it boils down to, actual mistakes made in the end. otherwise the execution caption is a bunch of bull. if not, the top corps in any caption can go out and be sloppy sloppy and still get the mark.....which unfortunately seems to be exactally what occures from time to time.

See thats the point its not just about mistakes and not everyone is as close in content as you may think and if they are that can also be the deciding factor..im not trying to change your view by no means just tellin you how it is.

This all gets a whole lot easier if you don't care about absolute values and pay attention to the spread.

You're pulling my leg, right? "absolute values" versus "the spread"? Well, I can only say that the Chicago Cavaliers (excluding our phenomenal Staff, who were interested in "spreads") couldn't care less about taking 1st place by .01, .1, or 1.00. AS LONG AS WE WON! Bottom Line, WINNING was EVERYTHING for us! Scores/Captions meant little, if anything. Give us the Trophy and then go off to study ReCaps!

Judges do not have the option of assigning hundredths of a point.

The final score is carried out to three decimal places because some of the captions are averaged/composited but in each caption, it's tenths only.

Again, the judges do not need to burden themselves with questions over whether anybody is perfect because the max score doesn't mean perfect. The number a corps receives is a rating relative to the criteria on the sheets, NOT a percentage of perfection.

Thanks for your feedback. Please understand that my "19.99" comment was rhetorical and not an attempt to reflect on current "Judging" ( a term I always apostrophize in the deepest sarcasm & disrespect!).

Granny:

I'm holding out until I'm old enough that you find me appealing, unless you're one of those cougar types, in which case my 54-old youth and vigor might be right up your alley.

Really, Mr. Boo and Granny, "scoring" in this topic applies (I think) to drum corps. Your conversation may need to be chaperoned. :tongue: