All-classical 2011 show ideas

Janacek -- I say it every year: Sinfonietta. It's all there.

You and MikeD.

I agree, the piece cries out for drum corps. (Though there may be licensing issues. And Bruckner8 suggested a few challenges here. By the way, that one is a pretty cool thread; for those who didn't see it last year, scroll back to see, for instance, some fantastic ideas by hostrauser.)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about if some of the many classical-music-only corps step away from that and

try something new.

Only if the corps that's given us a decade's worth of musical popcorn tries something new too. :smile:

I'd like to repeat the calls for Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Some opera would be nice too . . . it's seems like a perfect fit for drum corps, but is under-used. The Tales of Hoffman has always struck me as particularly suitable for Phantom, if they wanted another story-telling show.

Edited by Rifuarian

"Shave and a Haircut"

Featuring:

Excerpts from "The Barber of Seville" by Rossini

"Overture to the School for Scandal" by Barber

"Symphony No. 1 in One Movement" by Barber

I think The Unanswered Question might be received like the proverbial Baby Ruth in the punch bowl. I'm kind of partial to Hindemith's "Mathis der Maler"...lots of good material there...both accessible and modern without straying too far. Hope SCV does that one. I'd be interested to hear "1812 Overture" with synthesized cannons. Now THAT would be interesting!

If you like Mathis der maler then you need to check out Bushwackers 1995 show. it was this and Age of anxiety which was based off the Hendemuth piece. Was one hell of a wild show to play.

"Shave and a Haircut"

Featuring:

Excerpts from "The Barber of Seville" by Rossini

"Overture to the School for Scandal" by Barber

"Symphony No. 1 in One Movement" by Barber

Funny you should mention that....

I was thinking about doing a show called "The Barber Shop"

The Ballad of Sweeney Todd by Sondheim

Symphony #1 by Samuel Barber

Overture to Barber of Seville by Rossini

bdulfs, you've read my mind...in reverse. The best horn line out there (BD) needs to branch out, take hold of some of this amazing orchestral repertoire that's never been given its drum corps due, and 'break the mold' through doing what the others have done...only WAAAAY better -

Now if only they'd bring back french horns...

Mahler's 8th.

Nuff said.