QF APDs now on sale

Preshows have always been included. Why not this year? This is a subpar offering from dci. And this is coming from someone who has never had a complaint before about the dci recordings

The short answer is that for the official recordings, the new rule says that any recording can be used during a pre-show. This includes parts that cannot be included due to licensing restrictions. In a decision for fairness, and to match what would be on the CD, these tracks are the judged shows for all corps. That was the decision, so that's how I cut them. I'll double-check that decision, but at this point, that's what I've got.

The short answer is that for the official recordings, the new rule says that any recording can be used during a pre-show. This includes parts that cannot be included due to licensing restrictions. In a decision for fairness, and to match what would be on the CD, these tracks are the judged shows for all corps. That was the decision, so that's how I cut them. I'll double-check that decision, but at this point, that's what I've got.

Sometimes you just can't win. Thanks for all the work you put into them anyway. :smile:

FWIW, it seems imminently fair to me that people with unlicensed stuff in their preshow should have their preshow cut off, and those who don't, shouldn't have their preshow cut off. It seems patently UNfair for corps who leave out the unlicensed stuff should be penalized for the actions of those who don't leave it out.

Okay, I get that. Maybe a warning next time?

On a not so completely unrelated note, I've been trying for 20 minutes to get the Crown APD to fully download. I've tried about ten times and I won't download the whole file so the last 20 seconds of the show are missing. Anyone else have this problem?

I know the decision isn't up to you, but this doesn't make sense in a number of ways. The video on demand includes this unlicensed content. And I'm not sure what "fairness" re judging has to do with what you put on recordings for the fans. Crown's preshow does not include unlicensed content, so we should get it. If the Cadet's or Cavies preshow music wasn't licensed, how can you stream it?

It sounds like you're saying the preshows won't be on the CD. Is that true? What about the Blu-Ray?

Finally, disclaimers really need to be added to the ordering page. It should be clear that content from the performance was excluded or that there are problems in the source material (eg Phantom), or you're going to have a lot of unhappy customers.

So ALL the other ADPs that were sold this year are breaking the rules???

What kind of back wards thinking is cutting the preshows for licensing restrictions even when there is no restriction on the preshow material? Because of FAIRNESS??? Great... that makes us fans feel better.

F

A

I

L

A refund is in order for the MP3's I purchased ... and, I will not be purchasing the DVD.

Crowns' show does not contain ANY restricted content .... and if I am not mistaken ASCAP requires permission for ANY other composers (or publishers) content to be used even in a live performance, especially since there is admission charged.

Also, why is it that the "unlicensed" content has been available on all the other downloads and videos from ALL summer long .... and we have been paying for it all summer long as well.

When did these "new rules" go into effect (today?) Crowns' dance on was included last year, as was Phantoms' in 2008, and the Blue Devils' show last year the pre-show "cheese" was included ....

Is DCI making the rules as we go ..... it seems like it.

I continue to believe that DCI has the attitude that whatever they decide to release, and of whatever quality, is good enough and we should be #### glad we're getting what we get.

A story as old as recorded (DCI) history... :tongue::smile::blink:

I don't have them but I wouldn't be surprised if the CD reissues of some of the 70's recordings still have speed/warble spots in them...

So, I just spoke with DA. I explained the situation, and here's what we're going to do.

First, I can put in the pre-shows for all licensed music. Yay! That means Crown's, Pioneer's, Bluecoats', etc.

And second, I'm going to get a Phantom show cut from later in the week. It might not have exactly the same characteristics since I have just a stereo master on that one, but I think it'll be better than what's there.

I just ask that you be patient while I go back in and recut some stuff over the next couple of hours.

:)

Edited by drumcat