• 2003 - Bellisimo
    • 2004 - Bohemia
    • 2005 - Angelus
    • 2006 - In.trance.it
    • 2007 - Triple Crown
    • 2008 - Finis
    • 2009 - The Grass is Always Greener
    • 2010 - A Sec2nd Chance

it was a toss up between 2009 and 2008, but I took 2009 in the end because the show really spoke to me in a positive way, and it sort of seemed more story oriented than 2008......but I still crap my pants every time the hornline steps over the guard in 2008....talk about old school

2002....worst guard unis EVER!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Triple Crown - Should have placed higher and I think this is the direction most fan$ wanted to see this corps continue toward. A championship caliber guard and brass line ... well thought out GE in the visual and better staging than normal (maybe the fence props forced the writer to get into tighter intervals at times to make this show work .. and it really paid off)

2. Angelus - While the drill didn't have as much variety and effect with regards to intervals - a great show and an extremely exceptional color guard. At this point, you made me stand up and take notice that Crown was the real deal.

3. Grass is always Greener - Their cleanest performance and definitely championship caliber - it just didn't win my heart as a total show. The character usage was hard to follow at times due to staging .. and I think my same intervalic complaint of the Angelus show really kept this corps from winning.

4. Intranceit - A major flash of where this corps was headed. Still showing weakness in percussion and visual technique, but man this was exactly where I saw the flash of Star's 88 show .... and when I said to myself .. this corps will win soon.

5. Sec2nd Chance - Championship Caliber but was missing the heart that Crown has shown over the past 5 years. While some of the shows I list higher in my personal favorites weren't of the same overall level ............ this show was dry and technical to the point that I wasn't buying the theme ... and the ending (in the end) seemed desperate and disjointed.

I have felt for several years now that Crown should explore other options with regard to visual design (drill). They do incredibly difficult stuff with regards to field coverage, ensemble splits, high vocab movement ....... but I think staging has always been a big weakness for the corps. Curvilinear drill (more often) would actually help to show how good they really are, and offer more opportunities for the corps to stage their brass sections properly on the field.

Lastly, a word of advice. Stop worrying about designing shows that will win and go back to design shows that win the fans. I don't mean this to sound super critical or that I'm a hater ..... far from it. I love this corps and look forward to seeing you grow and succeed every single year. But, maybe it's time to take a step back and really look at what made your corps so well loved and successful in the not so distant past. Keep playing great .. keep marching better every year and the titles will come ........... but the overall drill design is what's biting you in the behind. Fix this one thing ......... and you will be unstoppable.

EDIT: I would have put Finis in 5th with Sec2nd Chance in 6th. Forgot to add that show.

Edited by supersop

5. Sec2nd Chance - Championship Caliber but was missing the heart that Crown has shown over the past 5 years. While some of the shows I list higher in my personal favorites weren't of the same overall level ............ this show was dry and technical to the point that I wasn't buying the theme ... and the ending (in the end) seemed desperate and disjointed.

Whatever happened to the "surprises" Eric Sabach said to look out for for semis? I loved the ending because it showed they weren't afraid to bring back the traditional "signature ending" à la early '80s BD. Loved the stuff they played leading up to the Promise of Living, though I'm not sure what it is.

2008 was the clear winner of this one for me, with 2009 the runner up. How the 2009 show ended up making any sort of coherent sense on the field, I'll never understand...But by heck, it did!!

I'll never understand the insane hype obsession around 2007. Pretty good show, though...

2008 was the clear winner of this one for me, with 2009 the runner up. How the 2009 show ended up making any sort of coherent sense on the field, I'll never understand...But by heck, it did!!

I'll never understand the insane hype obsession around 2007. Pretty good show, though...

It was fun, well staged and performed at an extremely high level. What's not to hype? They walked the fine line between cheesy and awesome ..... one of the toughest things to do in drum corps ......... and they pulled it off!

It was fun, well staged and performed at an extremely high level. What's not to hype? They walked the fine line between cheesy and awesome ..... one of the toughest things to do in drum corps ......... and they pulled it off!

Fun, well staged and performed at an extremely high level, I agree with each of those. When I say overhyped, I'm guess I'm talking more about much of the DCP reaction then anything. Seems you couldn't read a thread that year without someone shouting how it was the Bestest Show in the Universe and deserved to win All Time Total Champion of the Absolute World Forever and Ever. :tongue:

I liked it, but didn't love it. Finis, I loved...To each their own!

Going by entertainment & enjoyment, not necessarily performance levels

1. Triple Crown - Great theme, done exceptionally well, when it should have been cheesy. Just an awesome program.

2. Finis - Spectacular Music & performance levels

3. In.Trance.It - I just loved this show, any way you slice it. Great brass book, and guard.

4. Angelus - Loved, loved, loved, the Angel ballad.

5. Bohemia - Apart from the singing, a very exciting, energetic show

6. The Grass is Always Greener - terrific show that just worked.

7. Bellissimo - what a great way for Crown to start their meteoric rise in the decade.

8. Second Chances - Very solid, but less inspired.

9. Industry - messy, but interesting

10. Mask of Zorro - could have been so much more

11. Greek Mythology - more like a greek tragedy. Ugg.

Harvey

1. 2009 - The Grass is Always Greener

2007 - Triple Crown

2008 - Finis

2000 - The Mask of Zorro

2005 - Angelus

2001 - Industry

2003 - Bellisimo

2004 - Bohemia

2006 - In.trance.it

2002 - Greek Mythology: Stories of Gods and Heroes

2010 - A Sec2nd Chance

Opinion is split on 2009's show more than I expected. I loved 2008 and 2007 and they have great moments, but looking back, 2009 just blew them away in design and music (selections, arrangement, and playing), and the general performance. There is not a moment of the 2009 show when I'm not on the edge of my seat eager to see the next bit.

2009 The Grass is Always Greener

2007 Triple Crown

2008 Finis

2006 In.Trance.It

2005 Angelus

2010 A Second Chance

2000 Mask of Zorro

2001 Industry

2002 Greek Mythology - never saw it

2004 Bohemia - despite the good moments, the bad ones were worse than they were good