Blue Devils 1989 Ballad Soprano Solo

I'm assuming that you're joking as he was still gacking notes in the intro to the next tune.

No I am not joking; when he comes back in after blowing it, in a unison duet with him on the top-split, it's absolutely gorgeous. As I said, he recovered well.

You can hear and see it at exactly the 1 minute mark: LINK REMOVED

Concerning his opening solo in the Allegre pre-closer, he does frack a couple notes, but the balance of the solo is well-done.

Edited by Geoff
youtube video removed

What other DCI moments are there like this? Magic 02 quad player goes down, Crown 07 guard member pops up in front of the camera.... anyone got any other to check out?

Two horns from North Star back into each other in the finale from 1980. There's also a one-count-too-early horn entrance in North Star's closer from 1982.

Sounds like I hated North Star, doesn't it? Well I didn't. I loved me some Chrome Wall. Just two examples I can think of.

No I am not joking; when he comes back in after blowing it, in a unison duet with him on the top-split, it's absolutely gorgeous. As I said, he recovered well.

You can hear and see it at exactly the 1 minute mark: LINK REMOVED

Concerning his opening solo in the Allegre pre-closer, he does frack a couple notes, but the balance of the solo is well-done.

You're right. I was lumping in the intro.

I admit I was being a bit of a jerk with my comments and should have just moved on and never posted. Lesson Learned...

None....it's not just the sheer awfulness of The Frack -- plenty of people have chowed a solo at finals -- it's more because it happened to BD...normally a corps with consistent performers.

The Frack didn't cost a placement...the score differential was too big on either side of them to have moved them if he;d hit it clean on Finals night.

Then how did they place third on Thursday?

What other DCI moments are there like this? Magic 02 quad player goes down, Crown 07 guard member pops up in front of the camera.... anyone got any other to check out?

Kilties '75, end of Auld Lang Syne. Granted, it was only one note fracked....but what a note it was..

Then how did they place third on Thursday?

Thursday was Thursday....The Frack was Saturday...any score hit due to it wasn't enough to change their final position.

BD ended up with a 95.9 Cavies right above them with a 97.2 Even if he'd nailed the ballad solo AND the following solo, it wouldn't've made up 1.3 points...

Edited by 84BDsop

Thursday was Thursday....The Frack was Saturday...any score hit due to it wasn't enough to change their final position.

BD ended up with a 95.9 Cavies right above them with a 97.2 Even if he'd nailed the ballad solo AND the following solo, it wouldn't've made up 1.3 points...

Exactly, Sam, and I think some haters like to nourish some thought in their heads that it did make a difference. Crazy people!

In that situation, there's a saying with judging.. "take a finger, but don't chop off the whole hand". Any brass judge worth his salt was hurting badly when that happened. You want people to SUCCEED, not fail! I know I gasped, flinched, and sank into my couch at home when I saw it on PBS.....

I wish I had dollar for every note I ever missed. I'd be writing this from my yacht in the Bahamas, sipping a drink with a little umbrella in it, while beauty queens fanned me with palm fronds.

And you, sir, where may we hear recordings of your perfect solos?

I'd be able to buy the SS United States that's mothballed and rusting in Philly harbor, restore it, take all of us for a vacation cruise and give everyone on board a bevy of hawties and several bottles of rum in my case... :lookaround:

That's assuming that the entire corps might not have played better (OR worse) had the solo rocked, and/or the judges might have reacted more favorably towards the whole package if they'd enjoyed the solo more.

Just another "what if" scenario (like "if Devs had won in 08 they'd have had a three-peat", there's just no way to know how different 09 might have been in that case, or how motivated other corps might have been, etc., etc...the "butterfly in China" deal).

Edited by WestCoaster