The 150 member increase.

Measuring the health of the entire activity based on how well 8 corps can recruit is ludicrous. Post a picture of Pioneer's brass, or Mandarins brass line numbers. Then tell me there isn't a problem with 150.

Show me a picture of the same two corps brass line numbers when the maximum was only 128 (you won't see one - actually you might see increases), and tell me the increase to 150 made any measurable difference.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure there were corps that couldn't fill their numbers when it was 128. But many more could than now. So how is 150 an improvement of the activity? We have less full corps than ever. Things are great I guess.

I think we should make the size limit 250 next year! Where do you draw the line? When there's 4 - 400 member corps?

Show me a picture of the same two corps brass line numbers when the maximum was only 128 (you won't see one - actually you might see increases), and tell me the increase to 150 made any measurable difference.

Actually, 10 or so years ago, Pioneer was in open class. They were much larger than now, and winning open class quite frequently. Back when Div. 2 was much larger and more competitive than it is today.

The difference is, back then 100 member corps were competing against 128 member corps. Now there are 100 member corps are competing against 150 member corps. So did the rule change help the activity? No, it helped elite members of the activity.

Really to take your argument all the way is they should find out who has the least amount of members and everyone should have to cut back to that. That is the only "fair" way to make the corps "equal"

Yes! That is exactly what I'm saying they should do.

In the 128 days there were many corps who had well under 128. I don't know, nor am I going to count in all of my video, but If they all weren't at 128 is that fair?

I have been refuting this throughout this discussion. I marched those years. 90 % of your top 25 corps WERE at 128. That's a lot different than 5-7 with 150

As far as numbers we are looking at 8-10 snare, 4-5 tenors, 5 bass drums, 12-14 in the pit, and 32-40 color guard. If we take the upper end of all of those; as some corps do, there is not room for 80 brass. I am not sure if you are taking into consideration the size of the pits. I think the biggest difference the membership changes have made is the guards have grown with many more male members. Up until what, 8 or 9 years ago only a couple had male lines in their guard.

I am absolutely taking all of that in to account. Again, most corps today have 72 horns, 28 percussion (yes, including pit), 36 guard and 2 DM. Now add that up.

Who said anything about this size limit being designed ONLY to accomidate larger hornlines? Color Guards and Percussion units have benefitted from this as well.

Who said anything about this size limit being designed ONLY to accomidate larger hornlines? Color Guards and Percussion units have benefitted from this as well.

I've addressed this several times.

Still waiting for someone to point me to at least 5 corps with 72 or less horns that have between 55 and 60 guard.

The 150 was a Hoppy induced proposal. We don't live in our world anymore. Darth Vader is God and the empire rules all. Be thankful for the Jedi Knights!

I figured it wouldn't be long before someone would blame (or credit, depending on your p.o.v.) Hop for this one. For better or worse, George is quite the lightning rod.

Fred O.

The difference is, back then 100 member corps were competing against 128 member corps. Now there are 100 member corps are competing against 150 member corps. So did the rule change help the activity? No, it helped elite members of the activity.

Edit

Edited by txpride