The 150 member increase.

I figured it wouldn't be long before someone would blame (or credit, depending on your p.o.v.) Hop for this one. For better or worse, George is quite the lightning rod.

Fred O.

Yes, I do blame Hop. He proposed it, and after rallying the other elite corps who it likewise benefited, he manipulated (and in some cases intimidated) the rest of the little people to submit. Just like he does with every other selfish proposal he makes.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show me a picture of the same two corps brass line numbers when the maximum was only 128 (you won't see one - actually you might see increases), and tell me the increase to 150 made any measurable difference.

I adressed that in my very first post. I'm tired of repeating myself. Go back and read my first post. I refuted this argument quite handily in my first post.

Yes! That is exactly what I'm saying they should do.

That's a terrible idea.

Life isn't fair. You're never going to make it fair.

Do you want to take a survey to find the worst brass instructor in DCI and then make all the corps hire somebody at least that bad?

"Well, sorry kids but Pioneer only had 60 kids show up at camp this year so thats all we're allowed to march this year."

"Sorry Ted, Bluecoats have a sick baritone tonight so you have to sit out today so its fair. Don't worry, you can still pet the unicorn after the show."

That's a terrible idea.

Do you want to take a survey to find the worst brass instructor in DCI and then make all the corps hire somebody at least that bad?

"Well, sorry kids but Pioneer only had 60 kids show up at camp this year so thats all we're allowed to march this year."

"Sorry Ted, Bluecoats have a sick baritone tonight so you have to sit out today so its fair. Don't worry, you can still pet the unicorn after the show."

Completely agree!!

That's a terrible idea.

Ok, I just now realized (and noticed) how much hyperbolic entrapment was in your original question.

No, I don't thinlk you should find the corps with the "LOWEST" number of members and make that the limit. That IS a terrible idea.

What I AM suggesting is rather to figure out the AVERAGE number among the World Class member corps and make THAT the limit. That IS a good idea. No, actually it's a GREAT idea. A whole lot better than the current extreme where the elite are saying "what's wrong Johnny Glassmen, can't you fill your corps". That is more than just "unfair". It's competitive BULLYING!

I must have missed the "All Added Members Must Be in the Hornline" memo...

Sigh! I never said that. And even though I've addressed the "the other numbers are in the guard" argument now over 10 times, I'll say it again. Please show me a corps with 55-60 guard or a corps with 40-50 percussion.

And I'll also again repeat this. Please add up the following current averages for todays corps... 72 horns, 28 percussion (including pit), 32 guard and 2 DM equils?........(I'll give you a hint...it's NOT "150").

Edited by txpride

You know what, you are right. I forgot that I did count 80 with Phantom in 09. Stand corrected. I'm right about the rest though.

How many times is someone going to correct you.

This topic should be closed

If any world class corps were not able to fill their ranks when the size limit was 128, why was it ever increased? The only way increasing the size limit would have made sense is if every corps was full, and a considerable amount of students were being turned away from the activity. As many of you have argued, when the size limit was 128, many corps were not full. Why would DCI want to increase the sizes then?

Sure, life isn't fair. But is it ok to make is as unfair as possible? It seems to me the size limit is another way for the g7 to keep themselves separated from the herd, to make sure that they get most of the talent. They have size in their favor, money in their favor, the latest greatest electronics in their favor.

I think these are great corps that put on great shows every year. I wish they were confident enough to rely on their creative designs, hard work and talent to stay at the top. It's a shame they resort to "competitive bullying."