Thoughts on Scranton

Good size crowd - many AL Vets in attendance - and great to hear the National Anthem sans interpretation!

Seats are more widely spaced than the other Holy Grail - Allentown - THANK YOU!

Hawaiian Tropic MC in Top Form ( sneakers worse than shirt )

Very heavy air - a front was hanging out just to the west - but hadn't begun it's push east.

Bushwackers - best pre-show entrance ever! Musical book is accessible - fun theme - well performed - if they retain current members and add about 10 brass and 3 field percussion - they will rejoin the contenders.

Empire Statesmen - WOW - well written program - excellent use of minimal props - beautiful brass - great percussion - fantastic guard ( loved the witch and yellow brick road )! David Bruni is what all DM's should aspire to - non robotic - engaging while not going over the top! Crowd loved them!

Caballeros - IMHO best ensemble brass of the night ( balance and intonation ) - trumpet soloist was spot on - IMHO best of night! Nice program and book - percussion seems to have suffered from a few defections - but still solid. Do not let placement upset corps - u r headed in the right direction!

Reading Buccaneer's - Great show - well written - solid in all captions and field percussion seems to be coming on. Visual look of corps is virtually elegant , will be very hard to end this streak! Best corps of the evening covering forms and maintainig interval ( IMHO )

Connecticut Hurricanes - Solid show well executed - IMHO brass is better than they are being scored , IMHO high brass needs some more emphasis - percussion is outstanding - guard is fantastic. IMHO feet are holding them back.

Caballero's Alumni - no year is complete for me without a live viewing - percussion should be declared a National Historic landmark - no kneeling backfield or holding quads vertical for these folks! My wife asked if that funny crazy guy would be here , and Jim Russo did not disappoint her! Crowd went wild and deservedly so - HOW MANY CORPS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY MARCH A 50 yard company front? ( brass ) well - one if you were at Scranton! There must be some truth to the fountain of youth!

Overall Thoughts|

When a program has an esoteric theme ( very nuanced ) - and an original music book - what do you pay attention to?

Program Designers - you have plenty of OMG moments early , why do so programs many end on a three count blamp!

Trooping the Stands - YES YES YES ( especially the side stepping Statesmen percussion! )

Pits are getting much more musical! One poor player was so excited she knocked the propane tank off stand!

Musicality level in general in pits was great , without amps or synths.

Guard work and design also seems ( IMHO ) to be getting better and better.

Thanks DCA for a wonderful evening , from now on it's Holy Grail part 1 ( allentown ) and part 2 ( scranton ) for me!

The man cave is anxiously awaiting late fall for viewings of Drum Corps!

Finally - to all players - you were spectacular! I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and appreciate all your work and dedication!

Edited by fecontra

Good size crowd - many AL Vets in attendance - and great to hear the National Anthem sans interpretation!

Hawaiin Tropic MC in Top Form ( sneakers worse than shirt )

Very heavy air - a front was hanging out just to the west - but hadn't begun it's push east.

Bushwackers - best pre-show entrance ever! Musical book is accessible - fun theme - well performed - if they retain current members and add about 10 brass and 3 field percussion - they will rejoin the contenders.

Empire Statesmen - WOW - well written program - excellent use of minimal props - beautiful brass - great percussion - fantastic guard ( loved the witch and yellow brick road )! David Bruni is what all DM's should aspire to - non robotic - engaging while not going over the top! Crowd loved them!

Caballeros - IMHO best ensemble brass of the night ( balance and intonation ) - trumpet soloist was spot on - IMHO best of night! Nice program and book - percussion seems to have suffered from a few defections - but still solid. Do not let placement upset corps - u r headed in the right direction!

Reading Buccaneer's - Great show - well written - solid in all captions and field percussion seems to be coming on. Visual look of corps is virtually elegant , will be very hard to end this streak! Best corps of the evening covering forms and maintainig interval ( IMHO )

Connecticut Hurricanes - Solid show well executed - IMHO brass is better than they are being scored , IMHO high brass needs some more emphasis - percussion is outstanding - guard is fantastic. IMHO feet are holding them back.

Caballero's Alumni - no year is complete for me without a live viewing - percussion should be declared a National Historic landmark - no kneeling backfield or holding quads vertical for these folks! My wife asked if that funny crazy guy would be here , and Jim Russo did not disappoint her! Crowd went wild and deservedly so - HOW MANY CORPS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY MARCH A 50 yard company front? ( brass ) well - one if you were at Scranton! There must be some truth to the fountain of youth!

Overall Thoughts|

When a book has an esoteric theme ( very nuanced ) - and an original music book - what do you pay attention to?

Program Designers - you have plenty of OMG moments early , why do so programs many end on a three count blamp!

Trooping the Stands - YES YES YES ( especially the side stepping Statesmen percussion! )

Pits are getting much more musical! One poor player was so excited she knocked the propane tank off stand!

Thanks DCA for a wonderful evening , from now on it's Holy Grail part 1 ( allentown ) and part 2 ( scranton ) for me!

Nice review.

Hawaiin Tropic MC in Top Form ( sneakers worse than shirt )

Overall Thoughts|

When a book has an esoteric theme ( very nuanced ) - and an original music book - what do you pay attention to?

I agree...the Cabs hornline was right on last night. Each section complimented and balanced each other -the total sound was beautiful.

many AL Vets in attendance - and great to hear the National Anthem sans interpretation!

I hear ya.

IMO, Ron does a wonderful job with the Anthem every year at this show. He sings it with the reverence it deserves.

Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed the performance. Bush has a bit more brass but unfortunately these members could not persuade to be excused from their College Band obligation on the weekend. Looking forward to having them all back next weekend. :lookaround:

The pit girl with the propane tank is my daughter, first year drum corps/Bushwacker. The stand collapsed on her but the trooper that she is kept tooling on. Dad was proud of her. :tongue:

Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed the performance. Bush has a bit more brass but unfortunately these members could not persuade to be excused from their College Band obligation on the weekend.

Yeah... I heard about that situation. Ridiculous. A thumb-down for that band. :lookaround:

I agree with the reviewer... the "pre-show" routine is terrific. Sets the stage, so to speak!!

ah WCU must have band camp. Shore had that issue years ago...nothing like 11 holes the week before finals.

great review!

ah WCU must have band camp. Shore had that issue years ago...nothing like 11 holes the week before finals.

great review!

Our WCU members were able to be there.