Throwdown at Scranton

'Twas a long, long day on the Drum Corps Planet. A lot of turnpike miles to reach Planet Scranton and the DCA contest and I had to take a nap in the wagon, but it was all well worth it.

With the exception of the pre-show festivites and Scout House, the same groups were there as were in Bucknell. The big question is-- What's everyone done since that show? What have they cleaned up, and as per a lot of the DCP hot gas, would something big happen? It certainly could have. From all the contest reports and scuttlebutt (and some of those reports seemed to have more butt than scuttle...) in the intervening weeks, it just might have.

I've gone over the repertoire of the various competitors in the Bucknell Review, so I won't go into too much detail here. I figure you can look for yourself if you don't know about what every corps is doing this season. The programs are all quite thoughtful, the music's good, and I had absolutely no issue with any of the shows as a fan and I looked forward to seeing every competitor again. That's not always the case. I'd dare say most of us have had a program we've seen over the years that we'll go get a coke and a bag of chips or take a pit stop while they're on because we simply can't deal with it for some reason or another. I think anyone who did that tonight at best missed some inspired performances.

Went to see Fran before I went up to superb seats on the Side 1 45, I couldn't find Barb but was told she's doing a lot better than when I last saw and said "HIIII!" to her at Serenade in Brass two years ago, for which I'm thankful and very happy about. Fran's shirt was pretty colorful, but didn't burn out the lens and electronics in my digital camera, which according to some reports, especially my old friend Scott/Buzzgok, I was warned might happen.

Bush took the field to their "Voodoo" prgram, and again- it's a very thoughtful, technical program that would challenge the abilities of any competitor to perform. I'd dare any DCA member to stick 25 of their best horns and match the numbers in the pit and battery, and try it if they think the show is 'easy'.

The Percussion battery was really poised, confident, and aggressive, which I believe to be a positive strength for the corps and an element the corps can rally around throughout the program..

The 6 Mellophones in the Bush hornline are asked to to very ambitious things for so few individuals. Granted, the Blue Devils BITD marched only 4 Mellos, but those people in terms of the BD depth chart were their 4 next best guys behind their lead/solo sopranos. I think they play with a lot of chutzpah and guts, which hold them in good stead. I have a feeling they hornline played a lot that day in rehearsal, I just felt the chops were a bit beat-up at times. The Mellos began to show that in the last minute, but consdiering what they were playing the whole show- I can't be critical, and the staff shouldn't shoot them over it. The Baris started off a bit unsettled, but started to get into the zen of the show a bit past halfway and finish well.

As for Empire- some things weren't as clean in the split perc/horn fature as I'm certain they wanted it and there were a couple of minor gaffes in the Baris at the end that are very easy fixes I'm certain won't happen again, but the show was aggressively and confidently performed. When David Bruni spun around and said "Yes we are!" and smiled when asked if the corps was ready, I knew by his tone of voice and the smile that he was sincere, and that they were ready to thrown down a max-effort performance, and they certainly did. Again- some minor issues but a very strong and confident performance of their program. After seeing it- I know they weren't backing off or giving up. The crowd enjoys the show, it's a very accessible and light-hearted effort that's very uplifting and fun as well as powerful and well-performed, and I think many people need something like that to see in the activity.

You could feel a lot of intensity in the Cabs' performance. They aren't laying down, curling into a ball and dying. Most certainly not! I sensed a lot of aggression out of the horns in the opening segments- they were sending a pretty obvious message that they were out there to play HARD and to be accounted for that evening in the final outcome. As the program moved on, they became more passionate than angry, then grooved out and finished up the show quite well if I may say so.

They're marching a far sight better than they had at Bucknell, and I have to tip my hat to the percussion battery this week. I think they're starting to gel, know how each other zigs and zags, and it's showing by a much more confident and aggressive performance out of them as well as one of real quality that I appreciated. A Big W thumbs up to the basses who I believe had a very good night, and also to the snare soloists in the mid-show segment, which I think is nicely written musically and visually as the snares add more people onto their statement and develop it.

The problem here? Everyone seems to wonder what's happening with the Cabs, and I have my guess. As I said in the Bucknell interview, the visual package is better than it has been over the past several seasons, no doubt. The problem is there are certain things in the end segment design before the final rumps that I have a semi-educated guess are causing the visual panel to call things into question. At the level that at least the top 6, possibly even more of the top DCA units are performing at this season in terms of quality and given the quality of the show designs, these little issues are what spell the differences between the various corps. As solid as everyone is this season, any little perceived blemish will be telling.

The Cabs put out a max-effort performance and certainly had nothing at all to be ashamed of Staurday night. Nothing.

Now- the proof of the pudding. Two top-end performances went on, and now, what would the Bucs do? The haters out there, based on some of their DCP posts, are rumored to be performing Buddhist rites in secret over sacred fires filled with special incense that somehow, will curse the Bucs and cause them to collapse into a horrid on-field disaster. What was gonna happen? The hard core fans leaned forward and wanted to know. It's how you deal with intense pressure that defines you as a corps. Empire and Cabs dealt with the pressure like a champion deals with it. Would the Bucs?

From the intro segment on, the Bucs cooked like a nuclear chain-reaction. The corps is particularly outstanding at long, sustained crescendos and accelerandos. They don't run out of gas in the dynamics or tempo tanks, and they're smooth and even, which isn't easy to do.

It's also not very easy to get me to have chills up my spine when I watch a show anymore. I've been watching corps shows since 1977- not as long as many readers, but that's 33 years, and I'm pretty jaded. I realized these guys were giving me the chills and heebly-jeeblies all at once... and then they exploded into their first hit, and.....

Things have come together in one aspect that's been my pet peeve with the Bucs for over a year-- The hornline's finally found that deeper, fuller, richer, more mature sound that are trademarks of the Cabs, Empire, and MBI hornlines. They've opened out and the sound's now pouring out like paint off the brush. The scores may not have reflected it in my opinion, but it's my opinion and I can agree to disagree and be cool about it that the horns perhaps should have taken best horns of the night. It was close. very close, but Reading's gotten the last piece in the puzzle in regards to the hornline I felt they needed to have.

The show ending's also tightened up wonderfully, and really had me buzzed. I also don't stand a lot. I did for the Bucs last night, and I didn't care whether anyone else did or not. They had me, and had my total respect that evening as a former competitor against them and as a fan of the activity. The performance was THERE. It was spot on, and the corps is reaching through the fourth wall to the audience on a pretty deep emotional level. It's more than just about thowing up your hands and screaming with the Bucs, contrary to what many here will try and tell you like a parrot on Blackbeard's shoulder is the only way to consdier Effect or whether a corps is "better" or "should win".

Their drill design is also a powerful strength for the corps. It's on another level from everyone else I've seen this season except for the Hurcs. Clean, logical, readable, and I think the Bucs have more work to get their feet into the program and a couple of sets tighter up top, but the design dominates that aspect of the contest except for the Hurcs.

What was really wrong with the Bucs? I can't just keep throwing platitudes, can I!? Well, the Conch shells didn't sound as good to me as they did at Bucknell for some unknown reason. That's about the only thing I could think of to really gripe about, and if that's the only thing I can find- they've got to be doing just fine, thank you very much.

They understood what Carpe Diem means, and they not only siezed the day, they strangled it and gave it a Roman-Style Fist-Beating, then threw it to the Lions for Lunch.

The Hurcs weren't daunted by Reading, either. I think fecontra's comments about the hornline are very solid and correct about their hornlime being a bit underrated and that perhaps they could use a smidgen more top end, but I like the robust and controlled sound they project but I also know where he's coming from.

They don't have quite the numbers to drop a B-52 Arc Light onto the stands with the horns like the other big guys have, but-- they play well within themselves, project very well, and also are extremely subtle in their use of dynamics and dynamic levels, which I really appreciated. they have a lot of nuance.

Their drill design is quite, quite good, and also very well-performed. I'm unsure of the Guard had an off-night or something, they were fine, but I thinik it was a suprise to many they lost Guard to Reading- which could be more that the Bucs are tightening up than anything negative about the Hurcs' guard.

I think their battery percussion is exciting, engaging, and was wonderful to watch, particularly in the opener. I normally won't get absorbed in percussion to that level, but their confidence, their book, and their athleticism grabbed me tonight. For percussion to grab a horn guy such as myself like they did and dig their scene, they needed strong arms and a huge hook. :thumbup:

The Hurcs clearly were focused, smart, and hungry. They threw it down, too. They, too, have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in that performance. All due respect from me! :cool: I believed they may have nad a shot at beating Empire, or at least scaring the living heck out of them and I thnk it's an attainable goal for them to shoot for. THey have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

This was the 4th time I've seen the Cabs Alumni. They're the friends of the fans and the activity. Period. Soloists, spot on as always. Percussion has a bit of sizzle tonight and had the crowd with them, and a couple of young percussionists I was sitting with were digging it. It's good to see the rudiemtal old school jammin' hard and doing something fun and exciting.

Jimmy as always was riling up the crowd... like they needed riled up to begin with. They have a special relationship with the Scranton crowd, and it's really cool to see the crowd and tha corps sharing the love as it were.

Seeing them as often as I have over the years, i find myself ebing grabbed by certain things every time I see them. Last week at the Shamrock Festival, it was the "Man of La Mancha".Tonight, I really was into the "Flamenco-Cha-Cha" closer. I've liked that, but tonight, it just grabbed me more than it had before. It was really bad -### for a lack of a better way to put it. :w00t::smile::thumbup:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo...

What's happening?

A lot of its the visual design. It's where Reading and the Hurcs shine. And as I've said before, they only really had one chink in the armor, and they've even fixed that chink with a gorgeouw horn sound worthy of comparison that's as good better to the other top 3 in that aspect now. Their guard's even caught up to the Hurcs, evidently.

Everyone's marching rather well. No one's playing bumper people out there on the field, and the feet looked more than acceptable from all the corps.

As to all the kvetching about "The Gap" from certain individuals on DCP, take my word for it. The Gap is REAL. It SHOULD be there. It is NOT some black-helicopter Masonic DaVinci Code plot to keep Readnig on top regardless. It will take a well-rounded attack on Reading from one of the other big-boys to close that gap and knock them out. No one's achieveing it yet. No one.

And another thing- Reading got a very good crowd response, they ARE entertaining, and quite exciting. It's not just one corps that gets all the love contrary to a lot of the conventional 'wisdumb' being spread here.

And one more thing--- The show was well attended, with the ages ranging from young'ins young enough I could be their Dad, and some peeps who could be MY parents. It wasn't an audience of just 37 old duffers like some people delight in trying to say DCA shows are on this board. That's an insanely incorrect assessment of the crowds I've seen at Bucknell and Scranton.

If this show is any indication, DCA is quite healthy and good for the activity, thank you very much. The competitiors all put on quality performances, didn't hold back, and really- any of the top 4 could be a "DCA Champion" and represent this side of the activity quite positively with a lot of pride and panache.

After the show, I headed to the Glider and had a wonderful late dinner. Took awhile to get home after a long day but I made it back to Earth from the Drum Corps Planet, and the trip was well worth it this Saturday.

My Starship lifts off for the Drum Corps Planet called Reading this coming Saturday barring any ion storms- I'll take a look at those Class A DCA corps and see what the real deal is and what's sheer hype. I ran into a Fusion Core staff member I've known for many years on Saturday, and I can tell you Fuision Core is excited about performing on Saturday, and excited about how competitive Class A is this season! Maybe I'll see yah there! :thumbup:

Edited by BigW

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review.

BigW, thank you for stopping by to say hi... Barbara was sitting next to me, a bit more incognito than I was. :tongue:

Yes, in recent months she has been doing very well..... much, much better than the previous year or so. To make a long story short.... we had a bit of a rough go during that period, but things are looking up.

And my apologies for basically drawing a complete blank on placing you..... that happened to me a couple of times last night, folks coming up to say hello, and me thinking, "who IS that person?" LOL

It usually occurs within a half-hour or so of showtime, when I'm in the "go zone".... not focused on anything else except what I need to do to get my job done.

I'm not exactly a cordial conversationalist from then until the end of the show. :lol:

So again my apologies to you and anyone else for my blank stare. :tongue:

Next week Barbara and I hopefully will get a chance to catch up a bit more with some folks, since we're both off-duty. LOL.

I might even post some thoughts on the Scranton show..... or maybe not. Too tired to think about that stuff right now.

BTW, great review. :lookaround:

Great review BigW. Thank you for taking the time. I always look forward to your reviews. I am excited to be going next week to Reading and look forward to seeing ALL the corps.

Jack

BigW, thank you for stopping by to say hi... Barbara was sitting next to me, a bit more incognito than I was. :tongue:

Yes, in recent months she has been doing very well..... much, much better than the previous year or so. To make a long story short.... we had a bit of a rough go during that period, but things are looking up.

And my apologies for basically drawing a complete blank on placing you..... that happened to me a couple of times last night, folks coming up to say hello, and me thinking, "who IS that person?" LOL

It usually occurs within a half-hour or so of showtime, when I'm in the "go zone".... not focused on anything else except what I need to do to get my job done.

I'm not exactly a cordial conversationalist from then until the end of the show. :lol:

So again my apologies to you and anyone else for my blank stare. :lol:

Next week Barbara and I hopefully will get a chance to catch up a bit more with some folks, since we're both off-duty. LOL.

I might even post some thoughts on the Scranton show..... or maybe not. Too tired to think about that stuff right now.

It's all good, Fran. I've announced a couple Indoor shows and done radio, it take more focus to do things like that than some people realize- I knew you were in your zone to do the job. :tongue:

Hopefully I'll get some time at Reading then!

I've announced a couple Indoor shows and done radio, it take more focus to do things like that than some people realize

Thank you.

Yes, it does. It's a fun job, and fun work.... but it is work.

So again my apologies to you and anyone else for my blank stare. :tongue:

Fran, It's not a "drum corps show" without you announcing. Thank you for your dedication and love of drum corps, as it truly shows.

I was able to say hi to Barbara...her eyes were twinkling last night -was she too close to your shirt? Of course, we talked about our Furry kids and especially her "therapist cat" ...and of course we joked about your shirt...I asked her if she had picked it out and she emphatically said, NO ! LOL So so SO glad to see that humorous side of her again !!

Edited by boomboom

Of course, we talked about our Furry kids and especially her "therapist cat"

LOL... yes, her boy Bogart was back on the job again this evening, sitting on her lap!!!

He is taking his therapist work very seriously. :lookaround:

Thanks for the kind words, Ruth... sorry I missed you!

Fran, It's not a "drum corps show" without you announcing.

I agree! Fran is one of "thee" best in the business. One of the best MC's ever to take the Microphone in Drum Corps! IMHO

Yes, it was great to see Barbara up front smiling A LOT!

See you in Reading,

Dave Faust

The Bucs

Fran, It's not a "drum corps show" without you announcing. Thank you for your dedication and love of drum corps, as it truly shows.

Clicking the LIKE button

:lookaround: