Throwdown at Scranton

Well, if you want to read my quote in that way, I'd say loud and quality don't always go hand in hand. For example, the 60's and 70's might have been loud, but it also sounded crappy.

Sorry Kamaraq, but that was a very silly comment and shows you have zero respect and absolutely no knowledge of the activity of the past. Please take some time to listen to some decent recordings. To say that corps of the 60s'and 70's sounded 'crappy' - stunning. You have a right to your opinion - though I would guess you are in the overall major minority. Your youth is showing..don't worry .. you will grow up and become enlightened at some point

Edited by coloradocorp

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One Line Review Time....

Bush...Tenaciously dangerous to a few corps in Rochester.

Empire... Strong performance, fun show, but how much more is left to do?

Cabs... Working hard, playing with confidence, but seem to be stuck in neutral.

Bucs... Outstanding show, can't help but think they have another gear left they may shift into at just the right time.

Hurcs... Good jump up this year, enjoyable to watch, but stamina seems to be the Achilles heel.

Cabs Alumni... :tongue:

Sorry Kamaraq, but that was a very silly comment and shows you have zero respect and absolutely no knowledge of the activity of the past. Please take some time to listen to some decent recordings. To say that corps of the 60s'and 70's sounded 'crappy' - stunning. You have a right to your opinion - though I would guess you are in the overall major minority. Your youth is showing..don't worry .. you will grow up and become enlightened at some point

You don't have to be "enlightened" to like something you inherently don't.

You also can have knowledge of the activity in the past and still not like to listen to it.

To you it might be wonderful, to others it is a bunch of crap. Same as anything else.

He gave his opinion. You returned with childish insults. Seems that you too have a lot of growing up to do sir.

Well, if you want to read my quote in that way, I'd say loud and quality don't always go hand in hand. For example, the 60's and 70's might have been loud, but it also sounded crappy.

you have no idea what your talking about. have you ever heard a recording from back then? the corps from that era didn't have tears in the show. and man were they clean. especialy the drumlines AND we played rudiments. let's not forget the fact that we practiced at least 2 nights a week plus the show day and did 12 -22 shows a year. c'mon. you yougsters have no respect what so ever. before you speak listen to the recordings and then think about it. you may not like the style but it ain't "crappy" :tongue:

To each their own.

You don't have to be "enlightened" to like something you inherently don't.

You also can have knowledge of the activity in the past and still not like to listen to it.

To you it might be wonderful, to others it is a bunch of crap. Same as anything else.

He gave his opinion. You returned with childish insults. Seems that you too have a lot of growing up to do sir.

Come on LegalEagle - I didn't say anything about his having to listen to music from the 60's and 70s. My point is purely that the classic style corps were not 'crappy' and if he is a musician who has heard some of the greats from that era - he knows they weren't half bad. we all have opinions, absolutely. This guy says he marched with Reading - fine - they had some wonderful corps from decades ago. I personally do not embrace the current style, but I don't call it crap because it isn't and in terms of performance execution - the brass lines are superb and superior to what we had for sure - they should be given the types of guys they have in the lines. . My point was that we all indeed have our preferences - kinda like the argument that since I personally think Joe Montana is the greatest QB ever - others who might say a more current QB like Manning is the best - fine - but an opinion that Montana was 'crappy'. - well give it a rest.

Reality - the old and the new need to continue to perpetuate the activity - appreciate where it was and where it has gone - that's my point.

BTW - are you in the legal biz - I am a retired criminal and corporate attorney and yes I'm crankier with age for sure. Peace.

Former paralegal in CT, now legal secretary in Newark. Needed to get my feet wet with a new set of laws/time factors/etc.

you have no idea what your talking about. have you ever heard a recording from back then? the corps from that era didn't have tears in the show. and man were they clean. especialy the drumlines AND we played rudiments. let's not forget the fact that we practiced at least 2 nights a week plus the show day and did 12 -22 shows a year. c'mon. you yougsters have no respect what so ever. before you speak listen to the recordings and then think about it. you may not like the style but it ain't "crappy" :tongue:

Amen...

The percussion lines today get some great licks in and the stick work is superb - but I fully agree the rudiments based lines from back when were not chop meat - to the contrary. There were many great lines - my personal preferences ran into the books written by Bobby Thompson, Jack Pratt and Colin Campbell. Jack's penchant for swiss army rudiments was memorable - honed of course during his many years with the West Point Army Band.

Don if so many corps were great back in the day, why did corps get 50's at finals? Loud is not always good and a look at the historic scores bear that out. Also yes you had great lines back then, but you had some bad ones too. Sure with time, everything looks better, but that's not reality. You may want it to be, and you can try and argue it all you want, but it won't be truthful.

Signed, a guy whose dad told him his BITD line sucked and he's not colored by time to forget thay

Don if so many corps were great back in the day, why did corps get 50's at finals? Loud is not always good and a look at the historic scores bear that out. Also yes you had great lines back then, but you had some bad ones too. Sure with time, everything looks better, but that's not reality. You may want it to be, and you can try and argue it all you want, but it won't be truthful.

Signed, a guy whose dad told him his BITD line sucked and he's not colored by time to forget that.

This sort of reminds me of the popular alumni t-shirt that reads: "The older I get, the better I was!" :tongue:

For the era and the instrumentation that was available, there were some very good, high quality corps in the 60's and 70's, and some not very good ones. Some of us marched long enough to have been in both types while in one corps!

I agree with coloradocorps in this respect: There's no reason to get ugly and call them 'crap.' They were corps that worked really hard with what they had, and didn't achieve the level of the better, more talented corps. Again, I know this to be true because I lived through both during my marching years.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer