Throwdown at Scranton

Respect fot the generations cuts both ways, doesn't it? Perhaps colorado instigated this when he said "as for your quote..." and brought up the fact that people in that generation didn't need amps.

That's what Kamarag was responding to, is it not? The quote in his signature, to me, is a dig at anyone who complains that drum corps is too loud - period. And if you read it that way, it's pretty funny, and true! In fact, Kamarag replied...'if you read my quote that way.....'

So, it seems that Kamarag made his comment in response to a comment that back in the day, they didn't need amps ... a dig on today's drum corps.

It's all well and good to chastise today's folks who apparently don't respect drum corps from back in the day, but respect has to flow both ways...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much agreed....Too bad more people don't see it like that.

Don if so many corps were great back in the day, why did corps get 50's at finals? Loud is not always good and a look at the historic scores bear that out. Also yes you had great lines back then, but you had some bad ones too. Sure with time, everything looks better, but that's not reality. You may want it to be, and you can try and argue it all you want, but it won't be truthful.

Signed, a guy whose dad told him his BITD line sucked and he's not colored by time to forget thay

jeff your right on some points. your dad's line well it was bad. but it was not crap. our's wasn't. scoring was entirely different and you know that. i see scores from the 40's and 50's with high 90's. c'mon your argument dosen't hold water. i was in great lines and bad lines. i know the difference. all lines were not good but you have the same thing today. it will always be that way.

Maybe it's what my ear is used to, but I really can't listen to the old stuff. The sound, the tone, and quite frankly the boringness of it just makes it crindeworthy TO ME.

Tell me how wrong, disrespectful, etc. etc. ad infinitum I am. It won't change what I feel when i hear it.

That's the honest truth guys.

Maybe it's what my ear is used to, but I really can't listen to the old stuff. The sound, the tone, and quite frankly the boringness of it just makes it crindeworthy TO ME.

Tell me how wrong, disrespectful, etc. etc. ad infinitum I am. It won't change what I feel when i hear it.

as you say.......to each their own. liz i never said you were disrespectful. i enjoy your posts. at least your an honest person . that's more then i can say for a lot of people.

I know what you mean, Liz. You're absolutely right. Some of the old stuff makes me cringe too -- and I performed some of it!

Like fashion, movies, music, television and so many other cultural phenomena, tastes have changed in drum corps as well. It's all good for the folks involved at the time, but often their opinions of other eras are tainted by their perspective. Sure, there are a lot of things about modern corps I am not real crazy about, but it's drum corps that has evolved -- and just because I haven't, it's not right for me to criticize openly.

Just my two cents' worth.

Don, there's a good reason corps didn't get get tears BITD. The principles of drill design in place in that period ensured those kinds of issues didn't happen due to very careful field placments of percussion, and also closer marching intevals in the horn lines. People kept percussion behind the horns except for the percussion fetaure, and the corps marched in tighter forms, which also allowed people to easily get the center of pulse off of percussion.

When people started doing the more esoteric stuff in the early 80's, then you started seeing the crazy timing stuff start happening, and it took a lot of thought and a radically different way of listening while you performed on-field. Wider intervals also make it a lot tougher to hear a lot of what's happening and make things a little less confident for the performer as well.

There are a lot of HS peeps who are still utterly clueless as to what's going on in this regard, and a couple live in denial, LOL.

You also had many corps with less talent, far younger members, staff with less musical knowldege, which also led to a few notorious corps scoring sub-30's at Junior shows, even into the 10's, and getting "Zeroed out" on ticks wasn't that uncommon.

There's good and bad to the era, I think we can agree on it. More kids were involved from varied talent levels and backgrounds, we got more kids off the street and gave them something positive in their lives, corps were very much social organizations as well as a performing group, so on and so forth.

I think quality was more varied, though. Some classic corps from the 50's, 60's and 70's which are well-regarded, and some that when their names are mentioned, people still cringe that knew about them.

I know what you mean, Liz. You're absolutely right. Some of the old stuff makes me cringe too -- and I performed some of it!

Like fashion, movies, music, television and so many other cultural phenomena, tastes have changed in drum corps as well. It's all good for the folks involved at the time, but often their opinions of other eras are tainted by their perspective. Sure, there are a lot of things about modern corps I am not real crazy about, but it's drum corps that has evolved -- and just because I haven't, it's not right for me to criticize openly.

Just my two cents' worth.

It's a good point about the changes. To appreciate what one has, one should take a look at how it got there and understand that's the way it was done and appreciate it for what it was, too..

Vintage racing is very popular in the US and Europe. I love it myself- one can see iconic race cars on the track racing hard like they did BITD.

The Cabs Alumni are the equivalent of seeing a 1957 Ferrari Testa Rossa or a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO at one of these races. It's got a great sound, it's red and beautiful in its own way, and exciting to watch. It's different from a modern Ferrari GT car, some similarities, but both are distinct and I think very special on their own merits.

The Cabs Alumni are the equivalent of seeing a 1957 Ferrari Testa Rossa or a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO at one of these races. It's got a great sound, it's red and beautiful in its own way, and exciting to watch. It's different from a modern Ferrari GT car, some similarities, but both are distinct and I think very special on their own merits.

I like that comparison, IMHO. Thanks!