Throwdown at Scranton

Absolutely - we all like what we like - if we all liked exactly the same - life would be ultra bland would it not. Hey - there were some back when who objected to the stuff Bridgemen would pull on the field - they broke the mold. I loved it. Many forget that the evolution of the activity to what we now see just didn't happen - poof. It is the culmination of many decades of progress and those who came before.

Yes, the Bridgemen were pretty controversial to many, and what really peeved me was that people didn't look past the zaniness and see that underpinning the whole package was a marvelous visual package, great hork and drum books crafted by gentlemen regarded as legends now that were performed at a very high quality. If you'd have stuck them in a traditional uniform, took out the nutty stuff, then had them perform in front of the detractors without telling them who they were, they'd have bought the show wholesale. The substance was clearly there underneath the whole thing.

I've seen HS groups attempt to mimic the Bridgemen over the years and they have NO clue that what lies underneath has to be superb, and they think their success was attributable to nothing more than the dancing lions, the crazy unis, Gene, Gene, the Dancing Machine, a fake judge, and a fluffy yellow duck for an assistant DM. Talk about a shallow understanding of the activity and of the Bridgemen, and that's usually what I got out of the Bayonne detractors in period.

Sometimes to apprecuate a corps, you have to cut away the layers and get to the substance.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Bridgemen were pretty controversial to many, and what really peeved me was that people didn't look past the zaniness and see that underpinning the whole package was a marvelous visual package, great hork and drum books crafted by gentlemen regarded as legends now that were performed at a very high quality. If you'd have stuck them in a traditional uniform, took out the nutty stuff, then had them perform in front of the detractors without telling them who they were, they'd have bought the show wholesale. The substance was clearly there underneath the whole thing.

I've seen HS groups attempt to mimic the Bridgemen over the years and they have NO clue that what lies underneath has to be superb, and they think their success was attributable to nothing more than the dancing lions, the crazy unis, Gene, Gene, the Dancing Machine, a fake judge, and a fluffy yellow duck for an assistant DM. Talk about a shallow understanding of the activity and of the Bridgemen, and that's usually what I got out of the Bayonne detractors in period.

Sometimes to apprecuate a corps, you have to cut away the layers and get to the substance.

Amen - point on. They played to the audience on the surface, but it was indeed built on rock solid music and drill books which were performed so very well. The 'circus' show was just one which when you look back - was a precursor to an evolution of the shows - so many corps added on over the years whether it be Phantom with the stunning Spartacus package or the phenomenal Phantom of the Opera staged by SCV. BD show this season - while I certainly prefer their great jazz book years - was so broadway with a performance execution that was just superb.

Change of subject. Just wanted to point out that I predict a VERY strong season ending push from the Cabs drumline.

Jeff - I don't think anyone is saying every corp or many corps from back then were 'great', but remember - there were hundreds of corps and not 4 dozen or so like today. In my 50+ years in the activity, I never recall corps getting 50's in the finals of any major competitions -prelims perhaps. Maybe you were referring to Pennsylvania States or whatever ? For the instrumentation of the time and the skill sets of the corps - there were a number of super corps which entertained the crowds. Todays corps have the luxury of greatly improved instrumentation plus the guys/girls in the lines are what - 90% music major or true musicians at least. No one is saying all the corps from back when are better or even the equal of today's corps BUT the issue at hand i- and you appear to support that position which is fine as an opinion - that the corps were not as good as we thought from back then. Hey a BD, Phantom etc. etc. would be scoring some great marks if they were playing in some time warp back to 1970 for instance - who said they wouldn't. These guys are so phenomenal.

One last comment to inject. The kids in the corps today are vastly superior overall in terms of musical expertise and schooling, but they also have some great instrumentation to go along with it. My golf game today is better than it was 35 years ago in every phase and I'm 68 years old - why - the equipment (clubs and balls ) have improved dramatically and I drive further , I've gone to a number of schools to hone my skills however meager they might be etc. plus in retirement I play more AND I get lots of time at the driving range. My scores are better, but they should be given all the factors. No different with drum corps.

All in all - as I said earlier - if one thinks a Manning or whomever is a far better QB than say a Montana from 20+ years ago - fine - we all have an opinion, but saying Montana was 'crap' and he only looked better with the passage of time he was retired - that really is off base IMHO.

go look at DCA finals scores on the DCA website. What is that a 43 I see at finals? But...the game has changed today, especially the visual part. as such, things like ensemble tears can and will happen. I know I won a title with one.

but....you often like to crow the old days were better...and sure, some things were better. but not everything....and it takes an honest person to admit it....and it's more than just the equipment used today that makes it better.

Change of subject. Just wanted to point out that I predict a VERY strong season ending push from the Cabs drumline.

:tongue: :tongue: :worthy:

They've been pushing hard, the battery's improvement over Bucknell was quite clear to even a Bari guy like myself. It'd be no suprise to anyone if they'd get a nice number spike over the next coupld weekends if they keep pushing. It takes some time for people in the battery to get to know and get a feel/groove for one another, and things are starting to go that way for them.

Really, I think you could say the entire corps could put together a nice push, and I hope they do. They owe it to themselves regardless of placements, they're a fine corps with a fine product.

Really, I think you could say the entire corps could put together a nice push, and I hope they do. They owe it to themselves regardless of placements, they're a fine corps with a fine product.

:tongue::tongue::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::devil::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

They've been pushing hard, the battery's improvement over Bucknell was quite clear to even a Bari guy like myself. It'd be no suprise to anyone if they'd get a nice number spike over the next coupld weekends if they keep pushing. It takes some time for people in the battery to get to know and get a feel/groove for one another, and things are starting to go that way for them.

Definitely, there's no quit " Behind the Mask" :tongue:

Edited by Fastone

the years 1968-1974 were mostly a blur for me - too busy flying jets for the Air Force

Cool.... one of my older brothers was in the Air Force, circa late 1960s to around 1973!!!

He wasn't a pilot. Probably best for all of us. :tongue: