Indianapolis Attendance

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using that logic: If you lowered Finals pricing, would you start to gain fans?

I think so yes. I know many people who refuse to pay $125 for a drum corps show

The thing is, as you have mathematically pointed out earlier in this thread, is that if DCI increased ticket sales (attendance) say 30% by lowering ticket pricing by 40%, there would actually be a loss in revenue even though there would be an increase in attendance. Therefore the trick to increasing both revenue and attendance would be to find the right formula that would increase ticket sales at a percentage rate higher than the percentage rate of lowering ticket pricing.

The thing is, as you have mathematically pointed out earlier in this thread, is that if DCI increased ticket sales (attendance) say 30% by lowering ticket pricing by 40%, there would actually be a loss in revenue even though there would be an increase in attendance. Therefore the trick to increasing both revenue and attendance would be to find the right formula that would increase ticket sales at a percentage rate higher than the percentage rate of lowering ticket pricing.

you're right and that's no easy task. But say you make the avergae finals ticket $75, but gain 10,000 people. $75 x 41,000 people is $3.075 mil.

now you gave 55,000 for regionals. Say you hike tickets up to $65 for them...you could lose 10,000 people. thats $2.925M

or......

you can keep regional tix where they are or bump maybe $5 per, and lower finals tix to $75 and gain %k fans at finals. that's a win win.

you're right and that's no easy task. But say you make the avergae finals ticket $75, but gain 10,000 people. $75 x 41,000 people is $3.075 mil.

now you gave 55,000 for regionals. Say you hike tickets up to $65 for them...you could lose 10,000 people. thats $2.925M

or......

you can keep regional tix where they are or bump maybe $5 per, and lower finals tix to $75 and gain %k fans at finals. that's a win win.

Why don't you email this idea to Bob, Dan, and Sue at DCI and get their input? What would it hurt? You cannot assume that they have really given this "lower prices / increase revenue and attendance" idea that much attention.

I think that you missed my point. Here are two "hypothetical" scenarios which demonstrate the possible situation of how Finals attendance can decrease while ticket sales and revenue for DCI sanctioned events can increase:

Scenario 1: No Regionals and 31,000 fans attend Finals (equals 31,000 total ticket sales for the single DCI sanctioned event).

Scenario 2: San Antonio Regional 9,000; Minneapolis Regional 8,000; Atlanta 10,000; Allentown 7,000, and Finals 21,000 (10,000 drop at Finals but equals 55,000 total aggregate ticket sales).

Why has this only become an "issue" in the past couple of years? Back in the 80's you would have several large DCI regionals (some with all the top 25 from the previous year there) and you still had a large crowd for championships. Regionals didn't seem to deter fans back then.

Why has this only become an "issue" in the past couple of years? Back in the 80's you would have several large DCI regionals (some with all the top 25 from the previous year there) and you still had a large crowd for championships. Regionals didn't seem to deter fans back then.

The only show that sometimes had all the top corps was DCI Midwest, and many years, it was far from having all the corps. DCI East came close a few times, and Ypsilanti's Preview of Champions did a couple times, (if my memory isn't faulty on that one). But there are huge regional shows that everyone knows year in and year out will have all the World Class corps (with the exception of one or two that haven't gone out on tour yet) and those shows didn't exist back then. We didn't have Atlanta and San Antonio and DCI East wasn't set up as a requisite stop on the way to the World Championships as it is now. That may account for more people being drawn to the championship shows than before.

I tend to disagree but not completely…I do think a lower ticket price may get a few extra people in the seats but I doubt a lot, enough to be worth it... they do have lower priced tickets for finals anyway

I mainly disagree because people travel to finals and its several days (well, for some, I did it 1 day this year and flown in for just 1 day in the past). So when you look at transportation, lodging, food, time off work…that ticket price becomes rather minor compared to the total spent

Part of what I found so bothersome about the Rosebowl was I shelled out a lot of money and bought a top tier ticket package early and still got stuck in what I thought were bad seats. I would have gladly paid a lot more for a better seats, I didn’t drop a few grand to sit on the 20 and listen to the lights buzz but yet....

I would expect the regionals to be more price sensitive because I assume most people have a smaller overall outlay of cash…doing it as a day trip or just an over nighter so the ticket price would be a bigger percentage of the overall cost

living in Chicago, $125 bucks for a ticket seems very reasonable and Chicago is a part of the Indy market

The only show that sometimes had all the top corps was DCI Midwest, and many years, it was far from having all the corps. DCI East came close a few times, and Ypsilanti's Preview of Champions did a couple times, (if my memory isn't faulty on that one). But there are huge regional shows that everyone knows year in and year out will have all the World Class corps (with the exception of one or two that haven't gone out on tour yet) and those shows didn't exist back then. We didn't have Atlanta and San Antonio and DCI East wasn't set up as a requisite stop on the way to the World Championships as it is now. That may account for more people being drawn to the championship shows than before.

Michael: If the major goal is to just "raise attendance figures at Finals", and the all corps attending all of the Regionals system hurts attendance figures at Finals, then of course get rid of the all corps at all Regionals system. However, if the goal is to "increase overall annual revenue for DCI as well as increase overall ticket sales nationwide for DCI", and the all corps at all Regionals / Finals system actually provides both of those items, even though Finals attendance might drop due to that system, keeping the all corps at all Regionals system would be wise.

Michael: If the major goal is to just "raise attendance figures at Finals", and the all corps attending all of the Regionals system hurts attendance figures at Finals, then of course get rid of the all corps at all Regionals system. However, if the goal is to "increase overall annual revenue for DCI as well as increase overall ticket sales nationwide for DCI", and the all corps at all Regionals / Finals system actually provides both of those items, even though Finals attendance might drop due to that system, keeping the all corps at all Regionals system would be wise.

With that logic then have all the corps at every show, yet have less shows and money will follow. Right?