Indianapolis Attendance

Or, you could count the empty seats and subtract from 63,000!

:beer:

Garry in Vegas

Provided you have x-ray eyes and could count seats hidden behind large swaths of black fabric. :beer:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" - The Wizard of Oz

Off-topic...but you gave me the opening.

On September 18, my town is hosting its annual Wizard of Oz Festival. If anyone's in the northwest Indiana area or nearby, come check it out. I'm in charge of the parade. We'll have surviving Munchkins and other dignitaries there.

They do know it. YOU just don't know it. Aggravating, huh?

I think it was proclaimed on a banner being towed behind an airplane that kept circling Lucas Oil Stadium near the end of Finals. But because it was dark and the roof was closed, no one saw it.

Personally, I don't know the number and I haven't inquired about it. I've been more focused on trying to remember to have my tires rotated. I can only maintain so many distractions at once.

You can’t compare drum corps to football for this attendance discussion, but not for the reasons y’all think.

The reason they are incomparable here is scarcity. Football isn’t scarce. Drum corps is.

Limiting this discussion to pro football only, it can be found from September to January every Sunday afternoon, Sunday night and Monday night. It’s also often available on Saturday and/or Thursday. Highlights and replays are omni-present. And I’m only talking television.

Television is important because only the purest of the purists would try to argue that pro football on television isn’t a satisfying experience.

Not so for drum corps. Even accepting that the advent of the Fan Network has offered a time/place alternative, drum corps on the screen isn’t a proper substitute for drum corps in the stadium.

So drum corps fans travel to shows. We travel to shows where the shows are substantially similar to previous viewings. And we do so because there is no viable substitute. If you want to experience drum corps, you can’t just change the channel. If you want to experience drum corps – and we do – you experience it in the narrow increments offered.

If we could experience drum corps several times a week every week, maybe we’d be more concerned about variety. As it stands, the thrill of drum corps is made rare by its short schedule and long journey. So I go whenever I can, which is never enough.

HH

Indianapolis attendance would be higher if there were more restaurants open up after the champion encore. Scott, Ann, and I don't want to eat at Steak 'n' Shake every year.

If attendance numbers were *good* news we would not be in this thread speculating -- DCI would be trumpeting the success of LOS and Indy. The numbers are not good -- that's only reason to stay quiet about it.

correct.

and DCI marketing is smart enough to know the next question...to the total attendance figure..

what was the paid attendance?

because to some...finding a negative number will be the foul fish to prove that DCI is mismanaging the sacred drum corps.