after seeing Star of Indiana Alum

After seeing Star of Indiana Alumni, it reminded me of my marching band (in which I did not march but my brother did) and how much they cared, the crowd was more full, they cheered louder, the announcer was more enthusiastic

the music is Belshazzar's Feast (also why star reminded me of this)

If you care to watch it, it's actually (in my mind) quite good for a marching band

after watching that, I got to thinking... wow... people cared soooo much more back then nowadays, I still love what I do, I still thought my first year of drum corps was absolutely amazing but I kind of wish crowds were like they used to be...

anyone else think the same thing?

Edited by JF154283

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be interested to know that that band show you posted is almost a note-for-note copy of Star of Indiana's 1990 and 1989 shows, arranged by Jim Prime.

after watching that, I got to thinking... wow... people cared soooo much more back then nowadays, I still love what I do, I still thought my first year of drum corps was absolutely amazing but I kind of wish crowds were like they used to be...

If a corps played the type of music with the same power and complexity that Star did, they would. That's really all that would need to happen. Personal nostalgia factor aside, the way the crowd reacted to the Star Alumni performance (especially the first 30 seconds) was because of the music they were hearing at that moment (the corps wasn't even marching). Thought experiment: imagine, hypothetically, that the first 30 seconds of the Blue Devils 2010 show was the same as that of Star Alumni's, performed exactly the same. Would the audience react that much differently than they did with Star? I'm guessing no.

For what it's worth, musically, the Blue Stars 2010 show is a step in the right direction.

Edited by Hrothgar15

After seeing Star of Indiana Alumni, it reminded me of my marching band (in which I did not march but my brother did) and how much they cared, the crowd was more full, they cheered louder, the announcer was more enthusiastic

If you care to watch it, it's actually (in my mind) quite good for a marching band

I feel your pain but the audiences are still there. It's the shows that have gotten less entertaining, thus less crowd response.

Edited by SFZFAN

See "Madison Scouts", 2010

Interesting choice for warm-up: Biebl's "Ave Maria", six years before Phantom Regiment covered it.

Definitely seek out the choral version performed by Chanticleer, if you've never heard it.

Seriously now, how many people actually heard of Belshazzar's Feast before Star played it? I argued about this back in the RAMD days, that if corps stick with AWESOME SOURCE MUSIC, no one's going to care about the genre, or possibly even the excellence of the performance. People here keep calling for corps to pick "music we know." What a bunch of BS that is.

In case anyone's interested, here is what the original "praise ye" sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-hABvz380Q#t=04m11s

I queued it up right at the part everyone will recognize, but it behooves you to back it up 30 seconds, so you can hear Walton's original intro music to the choral "praise ye."

If you have the time, you should listen through to the end of this track too, since the "praise ye" concept permeates the entire passage, and there are incredible moments that Star never played. Crown (NewStar #1) should play another show based on this piece. They could do it with all new selections. Maybe in a few years Blue Stars (NewStar #2) could pull it off too. NewStar #3 (Madison) will never play source music of such depth.

Interesting choice for warm-up: Biebl's "Ave Maria", six years before Phantom Regiment covered it.

Definitely seek out the choral version performed by Chanticleer, if you've never heard it.

No one in drum corps land ever heard of Biebl before Phantom, yet it is wildly popular now. Again, the genre means NOTHING. You have to pick great source music, arrange it well, and people will like it, even if it's not performed at the highest levels.