Shows you find entertaining that a lot of others don't

1993 Star of Indiana. Bartok and Barber.

Just hated the show the first time I saw it in Denver that season. Went home, listened to the source music and developed a better appreciation for what they were doing. When I saw them in Jackson I was gob smacked. That might be the best Hornline I ever heard. And I still think they beat the Cadets in the Finals. One of my all time favorite shows.

Just hated the show the first time I saw it in Denver that season. Went home, listened to the source music and developed a better appreciation for what they were doing. When I saw them in Jackson I was gob smacked. That might be the best Hornline I ever heard. And I still think they beat the Cadets in the Finals. One of my all time favorite shows.

I'll stand with you on that one, Jim.

• Like 3

It's funny, that show seems to get quite a bit of love now, but in '93 so many people criticized the show for so many reasons. I've always loved it, but seems to have become more appreciated with age.

Purely personal choice, here...

'74 Troopers.

Background: This was the first DCI show I ever witnessed live. Troopers led off, and opened with "Ghost Riders". Well, this small-town country boy was a member of a small-town school band in central NY...which also happened to be marching to "Ghost Riders" that summer. Band director took us (yes, the whole band...his personal "thanks" for marching that summer) to the show in Syracuse, NY (which, I might add, if memory serves me correctly, took place one night AFTER DCI finals in Ithaca, NY). Troop was first off the line, and approached the stands with their known rendition of "Ghost Riders." To say that all of us sat there in apoplectic shock would be the severest of understatements. At that point, a "personal fan favorite" was born. And has lived to this very day.

Not a big moment for the readership as a whole, I grant you. But for this small-town kid (now dementia-ridden man), nothing other than huge.

• Like 4

'74 Troopers.

Background: This was the first DCI show I ever witnessed live. Troopers led off, and opened with "Ghost Riders". Well, this small-town country boy was a member of a small-town school band in central NY...which also happened to be marching to "Ghost Riders" that summer. Band director took us (yes, the whole band...his personal "thanks" for marching that summer) to the show in Syracuse, NY (which, I might add, if memory serves me correctly, took place one night AFTER DCI finals in Ithaca, NY). Troop was first off the line, and approached the stands with their known rendition of "Ghost Riders." To say that all of us sat there in apoplectic shock would be the severest of understatements. At that point, a "personal fan favorite" was born. And has lived to this very day.

Not a big moment for the readership as a whole, I grant you. But for this small-town kid (now dementia-ridden man), nothing other than huge.

Thanks for that story! I honestly think some of random show stories are better than a big moment at a major tour event. Often times so much more personal. Thanks!

'74 Troopers.

Hold on - this thread is about shows you found entertaining that a lot of others don't.

Now tell me, WHO (that's old enough to remember) didn't like '74 Troopers? That show was AWESOME.

• Like 2

I can understand this pick. But the OP's question is present tense (ie, "shows we like that others DON'T like ").

So I'm going to put in a plug for the '93 Cadets. They were the judges choice that year. my choice that year, and the fans choice that year. But today, 93 Cadets show isn't liked by many people of today it seems, so I'm going to throw the 93 Cadets, DCI Titleist for '93 with my sympathy and appreciation vote, as a Corps show I liked ( and still do ) that others seemingly don't like. And the interesting thing is the more people don't seem to like them very much, this seems to increase my liking fo thee '93 Cadets show even more. Its kind of funny how these things work out this way, but its not the first time as time goes on, we begin to like a Corps show, more. I think BD 2012 might be another DCI Corps show example that didn't get much likes today, but in 2 decades the newer generation, might just like it better than many of today's younger fans did in 2012. ( then again who knows, maybe in 20 years, the newer fans then might think " what the heck were the BD show designers back 2 decades ago thinking with that convoluted homage to chaos and anarchy silliness ", and so forth.. so who knows, nobody does. All we know for certain is that in 20 years, some people's opinions might change, and in other cases those opinions will remain just.as they did today.

Edited by BRASSO

SCV '95 (sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that likes SCV '95) '10

BD '10

Phantom '98 '01

Cadets '04

editing to add Cavies '09

Worse Cadet show along with 2008. Edited by Tobias

Cadets 2007. Really pushed the envelope with all the voice. Great music, powerhouse brass and percussion and I thought they were really outside the box that year vs. BD.

Hold on - this thread is about shows you found entertaining that a lot of others don't.

Now tell me, WHO (that's old enough to remember) didn't like '74 Troopers? That show was AWESOME.

You are most certainly correct, HockeyDad. I suppose I was merely rendering a personal why rather than a more general what.

That being said, it does my heart good to know that I am not so old as to be the only person who remembers the Jurassic year of 1974. In any event, my apologies. :colgate: And it does sometimes appear, through the (shall I say friendly) ribbiing that many of us take as we hanker back upon those days in the dark ages, that those bygone days have either been forgotten, ignored, or discounted as being something other than "exemplary" compared to what exists now. I pity those who never had the chance to experience (other than the occasional Youtube video) such moments as a Jim Brady, Jeff Keivitt (sp?), or Hunter Moss solo...or to see the 27th Lancer or Trooper Rifle lines in their military exactness...or to experience the pure, hellacious wall of sound from a Jim Ott-directed Spirit brass line. I'm not saying those were better than what we have now...but in their own rights, they were gems of a moment which, sadly, have gone highly forgotten by many.

One may very well be a dinosaur, yet still possess a level above the run-of-the-mill dinosaur's mind and/or sensibilities. That is not being directed at you personally...it's just a matter of personal sadness for me.

I would hope that one may be able to still adore and appreciate the past without being accused of solely living within it.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2