What is the role of Alumni

Should we adopt a "My Corps, right or wrong, is still my Corps!" attitude?

Should we have a say in Staff hirings, firings, replacements, etc.?

Should we be privy to the actions of the Corps BOD?

Should we expect to be informed as to our Corps aims & goals?

Should we in any way support our current MMs?

Are we obligated to ask sometimes uncomfortable questions and expect some kind of response?

IMO, the answers, in sequence are NO, NO, NO, YES, YES, YES !

What do YOU, as an Alumnus, think?

agreed with all the "no no's" and "yes yes's" in that order.

I would send so much more money to my former corps (the only one that still lives anyway...) if I could. But that is hard for me on my salary. But even if I sent as much as I could or just because I was an alum, I would never attempt to step in on decisions the staff and BOD make for the organization. If I'm not there in the meetings and having my finger on the pulse of what is happening day-to-day with the corps, I wouldn't be accurately making decisions. I appreciate being updated on what's happening, I certainly don't expect to be informed on all the staff and BOD discussions or decisions.

But I can certainly criticize if I want to. I can be a homer and a defender. I can flame on criticizers if I want to. I can wear all my cool member and alumni junk around and feel good about it. I can yell like a moron at shows. I can think MY corps is better than yours. I can go watch practices. I can say stuff like: "When I was in the corps..." :thumbup:

Edited by GGarrett

Should we adopt a "My Corps, right or wrong, is still my Corps!" attitude?

Should we have a say in Staff hirings, firings, replacements, etc.?

Should we be privy to the actions of the Corps BOD?

Should we expect to be informed as to our Corps aims & goals?

Should we in any way support our current MMs?

Are we obligated to ask sometimes uncomfortable questions and expect some kind of response?

IMO, the answers, in sequence are NO, NO, NO, YES, YES, YES !

What do YOU, as an Alumnus, think?

Assuming that #1 is not referring to anything illegal or immoral....

Yes

No

No

Yes

Yes

I never said it was OK to bad mouth the corps or staff. I never said the alums should run the corps. What I said is that you are not obligated to support a corps just because you marched with them.

Oops, Sorry Don. I didn't mean to address you personally in my entire post. Just the first line with the " :rolleyes: " face. And I really was just joshing with you. Anyone who wants to support a Corps other than their "own" with their time and money is O.K. by me, and that's coming from a person who volunteered and also gave monetarily to Spokane Thunder, an Open Class Corps. It was my pleasure to be a part of Thunder when I could be. It was also great to be able to pass on the History of Drum Corps in general to the kids as well.

I'll always bleed Red and Green though, no matter which Corps I choose to associate myself with, now and in the future.

This seems like a good thread for Corps hoppers and ring chasers. In other words, those who have no conception of loyalty, and no I'm not one of them.

This seems like a good thread for Corps hoppers and ring chasers. In other words, those who have no conception of loyalty, and no I'm not one of them.

Wow... What a J&^K... So if someone answers to the "What is the role of alumni" thread then this is what they get! :worthy: Someone please send this clown home!!!!! :devil:

As an alumnus I don't believe I actually have a "role". However, one can stay active and have a role to whatever level of participation you may wish to have; that is helpful to your former corps. Me? If I had the time I could volunteer for many comp season jobs, cook, souvie sales, prop maker, tour manager, etc., etc. I could teach (if they would want me to - I used to). But I do donate time (at the corps show and fundraising events) and money. Basically I support them as best I can in whatever way I can. They don't have to be perfect or win it all. Or, as many alumni do, unfortunatley, I could walk away and never look back. I choose not to and get to see some special friends every once in a while.

The amount of people I would have to cut out of my life to no longer be associated with the Blue Stars is too staggering to think about. I'm afraid I'm forever embedded, and that's fine by me!

FCO brethren! And Sistren! (not sure sistren is a word but trying to be PC lol)